Forum Index > Gear Talk > What are your go to light hiking shoes ?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 4:52 pm 
Lasportiva Mutants.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 4:58 pm 
Brooks Cascadias. I get the "last season" variants from 6pm.com. It's usually a 35%-60% discount off original price.

Joe

Joe
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 6:14 pm 
I hike in Merrell Moab Mid Hiking Boots. This year Merrell has a slightly update version Moab 2.

Joe
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Mar 28, 2017 9:38 am 
My daughter is hiking the PCT starting Mayish using Altra Lone Peaks which should be interesting this year.

Living in the Anthropocene
MattP.

MattP.
PostTue Mar 28, 2017 2:12 pm 
La Sportiva Helios SR, absolutely love them. Also enjoyed my Altra Lone Peak 2 but thought the tread wore far too quickly.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Mar 28, 2017 10:44 pm 
Various and sundry types of Solomon. Tons of info on the website about the specific design use for each shoe.

Bronco

Bronco
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:39 am 
If you're not running, there are some shoes out there that would offer more stable platform for hiking and off trail scrambling. I really like my Scarpa Zen-Pro for this type of duty. Great tread, all leather construction, gusseted tongue and adequate ankle padding. Personally, I think these are a bit more sturdy and a better compromise between boots and running shoes. Also, the sole has a solid tread under your big toe for edging on rocks. Other shoes I've hiked in: Salomon speedcross: great for muddy trail, big traction lugs not great on more technical terrain. Brooks Cascadia: (older version): solid trail runner, either too soft or narrow for my foot, tending to roll in the shoe when side hilling. Brooks Caldera: (new for 2017) nice for long runs in dryer weather, not much weather resistance and pretty weak traction. Old Vasque trail runner: loose mesh over the toe let a lot of dust and grit into the shoe, eventually working into the sock and making a big mess of the skin on my feet. Scapra Crux: Thinner sole approach shoe, not great for long walks with a pack but better for technical terrain. No gusset on tongue let some debris into shoe. Scarpa Livewire? GTX trail runner: Ok for hiking but I hate goretex footwear for summer hiking.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:48 am 
Bronco wrote:
If you're not running, there are some shoes out there that would offer more stable platform for hiking and off trail scrambling. I really like my Scarpa Zen-Pro for this type of duty.
Now we're talkin'. Zen Pro is the class of footwear marketing folks call "approach shoes." Approach shoes are a good choice for rough trails, some off trail routes and short stretches of firm snow because they -- especially the ones on the torsionally stiffer end of the spectrum -- have much more edging power than trail shoes/trail runners.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 8:13 pm 
La Sportiva ECO 2.0. My size 10, euro 43 come in at 2 lb, 2oz. Stable and roomy toe box. I have Morton's toe and need the room in front. I've had some separation of the leather from the large bumper/rand in front. Leather is nubuck and kind of soft but that has not been an issue - yet. http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking-Shoes-Reviews/La-Sportiva-FC-ECO-2-0 Model recently discontinued but many available in the aftermarket (backcountry.com et al) for about $100. FWIW Gearlab has this comparative review of hiking shoes (2017) http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking-Shoes-Reviews?specs=n&n=0&sort_field=#compare

Off trail rambler
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Mar 31, 2017 3:25 pm 
I tried the Hokaa One Challenger 3 ATR on a run several days ago and was pretty satisfied with that. I heard it was a lot like the Clifton which I run in when i am recovering from a hike or the end of the year pummeling my lower body has taken. The Clifton 3 is a slower running shoe with cushion like a marshmallow, while the Challenger 3 has a stiffer but still well cushioned feel and I run faster in it. I couldn't find it anywhere but maybe there is a difference in the sole material or it's density, but i could do some hiking / backpacking in it during the lighter packed summer months. It was very comfortable. The Speed Hiker Mid will still be my go to light hiker / backpacker since i used it last year on some overnight and multi-day trips.

Living in the Anthropocene
bkellygr

bkellygr
PostFri Mar 31, 2017 5:50 pm 
I was in love with the LaSportiva's Wildcat until they caused me major issues. Was doing 15-25 miles a day in them. I liked the airy-ness but they aren't good if you have wide feet. Now, I really enjoy Altra's Olympus because the big toe box and really roomy for my wide feet. No issues so far after a couple years of use. My older pair does have some wear-and-tear. I hope the new version I'm buying soon is more durable.

Huey375

Huey375
PostFri Mar 31, 2017 9:02 pm 
Selawa Mtn Trainer, Simple design - thick leather and a big thick Vibram sole, they are OK on broken rock trails. Weight is 2 pound 8 oz per pair, not trail runners but have lasted for years and fit my wide feet. The new ones look a little more modern and are likely lighter. I read in Backpacker a guy did the AT in record time, but he went thru a pair of shoes every 2.5 days....!

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Mar 31, 2017 11:09 pm 
Maybe this isn't optimal, but if I'm not wearing boots, I just wear my running shoes. It works for me.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Apr 01, 2017 9:30 am 
Huey375 wrote:
I read in Backpacker a guy did the AT in record time, but he went thru a pair of shoes every 2.5 days....!
He is sponsored by Brooks, gets as many free pairs of shoes as he wants.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostThu Apr 06, 2017 12:27 am 
My go to hiking shoes? Whatever I am wearing through at the moment... Saucony or New Balance and last seasons dirt cheap at Big 5 for $30. Snow? Boots, hands down, though if I know it is hard, I will take trail runners and spikes, mush, UGGGGGGG, no. Depending on angle, tennis shoes are fine, but any kind of scree and well, life can start to suck in a hurry. Why I generally use much thicker than required gaitors for off trail and tennis shoes. Not girly gaitors as I would if doing trail only. Protect that scree from my ankles... My ankles absolutely destroy scree.... All that erosion you know. Keep those mountains standing strong!