cdestroyer
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 8:12 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 10:44 am 
Another sad environmental story. and really, we're paying for it with open range subsidies and grazing rights at rock bottom prices. there's a really good Nova about the sage grouse problems if you can find it. But, thanks for posting and providing more awareness. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 11:25 am 
No footnotes, no references, the author has a wildlife degree and is a hunting guide? From what I've read, ranchers and gubmint have been working on solutions. In fact, folks were worried when the Bundy fiasco was going on in Oregon that they'd ruin any cooperation and planning. They've been attempting to improve sage grouse populations without getting the bird listed as endangered. Are folks in favor of going down the same path as was done to "save" the Spotted Owl? Make it a lose lose proposition?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 9:40 pm 
Good luck with this one. Maybe we should just kill all the cows and we can all eat Mazama Pocket Gophers and Sage Grouse. Let's hope "Center for Biological Diversity" and "Defenders of Wildlife" are all over this one - it will keep them busy for a while and maybe they won't have time to meddle with other stuff. (Still haven't received a response from the Montana Cattlemen's Association about those brucellosis outbreaks. Glad I took the advice of another member here and didn't hold my breath.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 8:20 am 
It's always a thrill to see a Sage Grouse. Bleak outlook but there's a wee bit of good news. WA DFW bought some ranch land south of the big bend in the Columbia and Sage Grouse are starting to next there. I saw a small flock there a couple years ago.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 8:03 am 
I'm thinking that this is something to do with sage grouse. The survival rate of the transplants is kind of ho hum--like planting trees on the south slopes in the Entiat area. But, some of it seems to be taking off. The tree planter brain part of me wistfully thought that this wet spring would have been ideal for planting here. This is along the Snake River at the junction with the Palouse River. They were taken on Friday, April 21. No grouse to be seen, but we did run into a flock of deer.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Mar 10, 2024 10:55 pm 
Sage grouse, Canadian Prairies. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/sage-grouse-endangered-alberta-saskatchewan-1.7136758

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!