Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Roofing Companies
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 11:09 am 
Anyone have recommendations for a roofing company? Roof is leaking. Sounds like I will need to replace asap. So many places to choose from.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 11:24 am 
I've been happy with the work Alpine Roof has done for me. A new roof years ago and then a couple of minor roof repairs from storm damage (tree branches breaking off in high winds and piercing thru the shingles). http://www.alpineroofcare.com

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 11:41 am 
Get three bids. I've re-roofed three different houses -- each time replacing cedar shakes with "composition" It is amazing the spread between the low and high bidders. One firm to avoid "State Roofing" their bid was $55,000 -- the smaller firm whose bid I accepted with was for $22,000 and they did a fine job. That house had a roughly 2500 square foot roof -- and was done in 2007.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 11:50 am 
Tom wrote:
Roof is leaking. Sounds like I will need to replace asap.
Consider "blue tarping" for a bit -- you don't want the contractor to think you are desperate. Many people prefer to re-roof during drier summer months -- so bids tend to be higher. On one house I got three bids -- but didn't proceed right away and waited until a "slow period" (Feburary) then called back the low bidder and asked them if the would do the job for their original bid - $4000 -- and they agreed to original bid - $2500.

iron

iron
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 12:11 pm 
shoot r3h an email. he's a roofer. probably would come over this weekend for the right amount of $ + IPA. or, a few rogue GCs...

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 12:36 pm 
Thanks iron. The roof cleaning service I use did come out today to diagnose. The leak is near a skylight. I suspected the seal was going bad. They caulked it but said it wouldn't last long. They indicated there were other leaks and gaps in the roof and best to replace asap. Roof is 31 years and everyone in the neighborhood else has replaced in the last 5 years, so I have no reason to doubt the recommendation.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Mar 30, 2017 2:31 am 
Sno County? We used Morris Roofing out of Monroe. No staple guns; hand nailed. I do not think price should be 1st factor in new roof...be thinkin' quality and value and integrity 1st. Tom

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 30, 2017 6:47 am 
tmatlack wrote:
No staple guns; hand nailed
How does using less effective and productive tools result in higher quality?

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Mar 30, 2017 12:56 pm 
Im liking these Morris guys more and more. "For the men who like to do things the hard way" maybe they hammer for nostalgia. I haven't done it in a while.. but hammer down was better for slate, clay, concrete roof tiles. The nails don't get sunk completely. Nail gun might cause cracks anyways? Niche trade. But then, I've only done repairs on the above. I only know who Morris roofing is because they have a sweet old Dodge ram 4x4 van. And I drive by the owners house all the time on Ben Howard road. His yard, house, and fleet are all very well kept. A good indicator. "They caulked it, but said it wouldn't last long" Talk about confidence in your work. wink.gif . I kid. I caulk for a living though. Our roof is about up too. Considering installing the new metal roofing that looks like cedar shake. Pine needles and moss wrecked our asphalt shingles in 15 years.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 30, 2017 1:16 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
but hammer down was better for slate,
If you are thinking about slate roofing -- forget what I said about getting bids -- if you have to ask about the cost of a slate roof -- you can't afford it. But then slate roofs have a lifetime of a century. So it is the material of choice when building "an estate"

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Mar 30, 2017 1:36 pm 
Heh. I looked up the cost of a slate roof once, and that's exactly what it said. I've only replaced individual slates on schools, churches, etc... You could reroof a house for the same as replacing a dozen slates. I do have a starter kit. One broken piece I found on the beach in Scotland. Roof from a sacked castle no doubt. wink.gif The house across the street from me just got a cement composite tile roof. Looks like cedar, last like stone. Waiting to see how it looks after a year of pine. Seems like if you where keeping your house more then 20, this would be the way to go. Materials cost more, but you only have to do it once. Took a crew one day to tear off, then one guy hammered on it for a week. I don't recall if he used pneumatic or not. I'll probably do mine the same way this summer. Hire a crew for demo, have the materials dropped on the roof, then go at it.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Mar 30, 2017 1:39 pm 
Good news is it sounds like I have time. Was told not to let it go past summer. Sounds like that's really the only time it's feasible to put on a new roof. HOA requires shake or the highest grade asphalt. Current roof is shake but sounds like they don't really last as long as they used to (lack of old growth) to justify the cost. I was reading up on asphalt and it seems there are varying opinions as to what's best. Proper installation including venting is very important. Apparently you can't really trust the warranties - the manufacturer will often claim improper installation. You may think you're picking a roofer that does it right, but there's no guarantee they aren't just going to contract it out. I found this article quite interesting. http://answers.angieslist.com/I-put-roof-Which-shingle-Owen-corning-Duration-Certainteed-Landmark-Atlas-Pinnacle-Tamko-Heritage-why-q36155.aspx r3h gave me some good tips via PM in terms of what to look for / ask when getting quotes. Sadly his employer doesn't service my area.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 30, 2017 5:25 pm 
from morris, why hand nailed..

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 30, 2017 6:01 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
from morris, why hand nailed..
I'm shocked that the marketing department of a roofing company would come up with blather about why their more expensive processs is so much better. I'll bet there is a wide span between the increased labor costs of hand nailing and what they charge. For a cedar shake roof it is probably worthwhile to hand nail. But if you are re-roofing with shakes, cost and durability aren't your top concerns eh?

contour5

contour5
PostThu Mar 30, 2017 6:26 pm 
Sort of a strange explanation of why they hand nail. My Hitachi coil roofing nailer rarely if ever overdrives a nail. It does tend to underdrive about one in ten, but this merely necessitates going back over each row with a hammer. I've seen pro roofers who can hand nail at something approaching gun speed, but I would likely mash my hands up pretty quickly if I tried to sustain a similar speed hand nailing. I do mostly finish and cabinet work and I rarely hand drive nails these days. Pneumatic nailers really are a massive improvement over bashing the nails in with a hammer. After recently completing my first 3-tab comp shingle roof, I can offer a couple pointers. Cheap shingles suck. My roomie/landlord/friend chose the cheapest Owens Corning product, and you can already see wear patterns extending from the ladder positions. Just a little foot traffic is all it takes to start ripping the surface grit off the shingles and exposing the darker substrate. Grace Watershield is a great product. It's a peel and stick waterproof membrane that you apply directly to the plywood deck before the tar paper and shingles go on. It basically creates a seal around each nail as the nails are driven in. Especially useful in problem areas like valleys, slope transitions, around chimneys and pipes and along the edges of the roof. High end jobs often cover the whole roof with this type of material..