Forum Index > Trail Talk > Knee Repair
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 11:35 am 
Saw the ACL thread, thought I'd surf for opinions as well! I was coming down from Lk Isabel in the rain back in '93 and my foot slipped into a hole while I was swinging the other leg over a log. That's when I heard the crack noise. Oddly enough it didn't hurt that bad, and after an hour or so it felt OK and I continued on down, slowly. Later I had it checked out and doc says it's a torn meniscus. Fast forward to 24 years later, and it's starting to act up. Prior, as long as I kept my legs strong, I never had any further issues with it. Now, age is starting to tell on me and regardless of my conditioning it pops now and then, more now than ever. In addition, it gets a little swollen and stiff right in the little corner under my kneecap. So, opinions on the various options for fixing this? How much down time has anyone actually had, and can I expect enough of a fix to get back on the trails with a pack as long as I commit to solid PT?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 11:42 am 
>50 y.o. meniscus repairs are rare. Knee replacement is the more common plan for 55+ y.o.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 11:51 am 
Dandy. Screw that then. I'll ride it till it gives. Aging sucks!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 11:57 am 
dug around on the age factor, Steve is right on the money. One outfit says it's not always necessary... I'm guessing this is the mix of pain vs mobility, etc. more here sounds like I need to schedule up an orthopedic visit and get the current scoop on whats going on in there, too.

iron

iron
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 12:15 pm 
what? knee replacement for a torn meniscus? that seems off. but, BS has a photographic memory, so... i won't doubt.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 12:37 pm 
I haven't got to the bottom of that directly, yet. It seems to be more indicated with aggravating factors like arthritis. I do know I'm not willing to get that cut up for mere pain and some swelling!

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 12:49 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I do know I'm not willing to get that cut up for mere pain and some swelling!
A surgeon once told me "Do not have surgery unless you *really* need it. It's tough on the body". So I went with that and have avoided shoulder surgery for 30+ years. And I do rock climbing, ladder climbing and rock throwing with the grandkids. So far, so good... except for a twinge now and then.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 4:10 pm 
iron wrote:
what? knee replacement for a torn meniscus? that seems off.
Well, not quite. There is a growing skepticism among many orthos and GPs re the effectiveness of meniscus trimming surgery for anyone at any age. Re the age factor, there is a growing consensus against meniscus trimming for patients middle age and older. If the meniscus is shredded to the point that the joint is bone-on-bone and/or there's severe chronic arthritis and it's getting worse, knee surgery seems to be the only surgery that gets good results. That I recently have become knowledgeable re this subject is unfortunate.

iron

iron
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 4:13 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
That I recently have become knowledgeable re this subject is unfortunate.
frown.gif

hikerman77

hikerman77
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 4:25 pm 
I have had 5 knee surgeries for torn/damaged meniscus, 3 on left knee and 2 on right. Youngest was when I was 24 and the last one 6 years ago. I saw Dr Haller at Everett Bone and Join and he did a great job getting me back up and active. I have played soccer, hiked, bike climbed, ect. The knee can be repaired/trimmed and you can get back to doing what you like best. I am 58 years old

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 6:05 pm 
At around 45 I had both menisci done over the period of about a year. Best health care decision I ever made - honest. I went from real bad pain to zero and I love it. My surgeon was excellent, supposedly #8 in the nation whatever that means. If you have insurance go get an eval - best thing ever.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 8:39 pm 
I'm 49 and had the surgery after limping around and getting heavier for two years. My PT said the tear was probably due to my bow legs and poor mechanics. The recovery has been very slow. I took a full six weeks off work (physical job) and the hiking has been slow to come. That said, some people charge right up the hill after the recommended six weeks of no hiking/running/jumping/soccering/etc.

Mikey

Mikey
PostThu Mar 30, 2017 8:24 am 
Our joints, skin, etc. are lubricated with hyaluronic acid. The average 154 lb person has roughly 15 grams of hyaluronan or hyaluronic acid in the body, one-third of which is turned over (degraded and synthesized) every day. Stern R (August 2004). "Hyaluronan catabolism: a new metabolic pathway". Eur J Cell Biol 83 (7): 317–25. Our body's production of hyaluronic acid decreases with age. There are medical journal publications about hyaluronic acid which is not patented because it is a natural substance produced by the body. False information was issued saying that taking hyaluronic acid orally did not work because the hyaluronic was destroyed by the stomach acid. But research proved this "myth" wrong using radioactive tagging of hyaluronic acid which showed that orally taken tagged hyaluronic acid reached the joints in a few minutes after oral ingestion. My personal experience was my taking 200 mg hyaluronic acid orally after an MD suggested injecting hyaluronic acid gel into my right knee after I had twisted it while hiking up a dry creek bed (got my right leg caught in a tree root extending across the creek bed). In 2 days after starting taking the oral hyaluronic acid my right knee swelling subsided and was and is OK. Remember, hyaluronic acid is a lubricant; it will not repair a torn meniscus. Here are two references: Interdiscip Toxicol. Sep 2013; 6(3): 111–125. Hyaluronan and synovial joint: function, distribution and healing ScientificWorldJournal. 2012; 2012: 167928. Oral Administration of Polymer Hyaluronic Acid Alleviates Symptoms of Knee Osteoarthritis: A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study over a 12-Month Period I take Now Foods, Hyaluronic Acid, 100 mg, 60 Veggie Caps $17.99 and also Jarrow Hyaluronic acid 50 mg caps. Collagen Note that bones are about 20% collagen and joint cartilage is about 95% collogen. This collagen is continually being dissolved (degraded) and replaced as are bones, muscle etc. Our bodies can make collagen but the collagen production slows with aging. People who eat bone soup get lots of collagen. You might consider taking collagen supplements. I have a bottle of collagen supplements in my truck and when I am driving longer distances I "snack" on Doctor Best Type I and III Collagen tablets.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 30, 2017 9:08 am 
This all helpful folks, thanks. I am interested in the supplement idea, I'll read up on that. I'll also research more on the surgery, it seems 50/50 on responses here so far. And work around to getting a consultation so I at least know what's going on in there now.

iron

iron
PostThu Mar 30, 2017 9:21 am 
Mikey wrote:
In 2 days after starting taking the oral hyaluronic acid my right knee swelling subsided and was and is OK
pretty sure swelling would have subsided with other methods (like do-nothing, RICE, vitamin I, etc)