Forum Index > Trip Reports > Beautiful Eagle Falls
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Apr 09, 2017 9:54 am 
In the past, my reason for always stopping here was because I thought it was absolutely beautiful. Some of the most impressive rock terraces I've ever seen mixed with smooth polished water chutes. This very small section of river gorge is, was, very pretty. Now I just stop to see the progression of disrespect. I've cleaned up here before. Now I've just thrown​ my arms in the air. It's going to take a sandblasting machine to remove the graffiti I suppose A sh## hole. Literally. Wipe with a sock, and just leave that there also.
As long as it's "sunshine, peace and love" I guess it's okay
More

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Apr 09, 2017 10:01 am 
Gah... That's depressing. More signs of our cultural degradation. Bringing urban/thug values into the wild places of Nature. Sickening--the ignorance of our youth. ~z

RichP

RichP
PostSun Apr 09, 2017 10:03 am 
in 1000 years this could be an important archaeological site.

day_hike_mike

day_hike_mike
PostSun Apr 09, 2017 10:26 am 
That is 100% disgusting! Had to look at where this was. I see it's that spot along Hwy 2 where I've seen a lot of cars parked coming back from hiking. Been meaning to check it out for a while. Going by so quick I always thought, I'll check it out the next time. Figured it was waterfall, rapids, or popular swimming hole. Saved me a stop. No need to check it out now. I just don't get people sometimes, just don't get it. Actually, I think I was there decades ago. Must have been nicer then as I would've remembered that level of vandal and garbagification carnage for sure.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Apr 09, 2017 3:16 pm 
Is that the beautiful falls / pools you see from the highway around where Bridal Veil falls comes into view? Dang, that's a shame. I remember stopping once maybe 10 years ago and don't remember it being anything but pretty.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Apr 09, 2017 4:31 pm 
This has turned into a huge party area, always lots of vehicles parked along both sides of 2 here on a nice day. I imagine some of the same people who leave garbage at the target shooting areas party here as well.
Target shooting garbage dump, road to Shaw Lake 4/3/17
Target shooting garbage dump, road to Shaw Lake 4/3/17

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon Apr 10, 2017 8:35 am 
Yeah, disgusting. Such a beautiful, and interesting area without all that. The power of the river, and what it has done to work it's way through there... I look at that ugly grafitti and wonder what it would take to remove it, short of the river doing its own work.. I'd go vigilante, but I'm sure there are issues with cleanup methods, and the river. I'd end up being the one to get in trouble. Although a little media attention might help business. I have a commercial grade pressure washer(4,000 psi). It can take the paint off a boat. Also has an attachment to do wet blasting with sand mixed in the water. But that and sand blasting would be hard to contain and reclaim. Dry ice blasting is the cleanest most effective, but $$$$.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Apr 10, 2017 7:13 pm 
During November "Atmospheric River" events the Sky reaches high flood levels and laden with sand and silt will sweep away all the trash below the floodline -- sending it to uglify other sections of the river or at perhaps collect in the bottoms the deep slow sections. Those waters will also remove some of the graffiti -- but I suspect not at rate faster than it will go back up the following summer. Yeck :P Spray cans should be considered "a controlled substance" and require folks to be at least 21 to purchase.

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostTue Apr 11, 2017 3:07 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Spray cans should be considered "a controlled substance" and require folks to be at least 21 to purchase
Legal age in Washington is 18 but unfortunately that doesn't seem to help. I guess you could say the same thing about alcohol and marijuana.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 9:36 am 
Curious the technique they will use for the graffiti removal. http://www.theolympian.com/latest-news/article161300478.html I admire the effort Going to take more than 4 hours and a major piece of commercial equipment to remove all that graffiti. Regardless, a effort worth applauding

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSat Jul 15, 2017 8:36 pm 
In the late 1980's SR 2 slid 4' at this location, leaving two-way traffic to drive on the north shoulder. WSDOT added drainage to the nearby creek and a year later in 1989 I was the construction inspector for the project that dumped 8,000 tons of rock on the slope and restored the road grade - all at Eagle Falls. It had its share of visitors on nice days then, and the place was pristine. This is heartbreaking.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 9:25 pm 
Here I was expecting some beautiful waterfall pics and this...this is what I get? hurl.gif

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 5:36 am 
It would probably be easier to get several cans of grey spray paint and paint over the graffiti as opposed to hauling a sand blaster down there & less time consuming. Undoubtedly they will just spray paint over it again. Lots of publicity about this area on the news lately. Problem also seems to be most that frequent the area are adolescents.

Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Aug 04, 2017 11:20 am 
Best friend lives in Baring. Said he has never seen it so bad as it has been recently. People parking over the fog line, cars parking around the corner going east. WSP is finally towing cars. Looks like party time may be over.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Aug 04, 2017 12:52 pm 
I will tell you that yesterday when I went thru I never saw it so bad and that was a Thurs. The east bound side was full and the west bound side was parked all the way along the road to the sharp turn. Eventually someone is going to get into an accident there. Unfortunately it is a younger crowd which appears to be less respectable for the environment. Its pretty much turned into a party place where the USFS will have to do more monitoring which they don't have the personnel to do.