Forum Index > Trip Reports > Beautiful Eagle Falls
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Oct 14, 2017 1:18 pm 
Exceptional effort and clean up. Check out the video Cinematography is excellent https://vimeo.com/230931337

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Oct 14, 2017 3:23 pm 
That's an awesome video BPG. up.gif Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Let's embed that puppy. wink.gif
Leave No Trace from Cloud Level Media on Vimeo. I sure hope the falls stays clean for awhile. If nothing else the clean up mobilized the community, inspired a bunch of folks and hopefully showed the larger community that people care. ~z

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 9:52 am 
Damn! What a great bunch of people! Now i have a reason to go check it out. Thanks to all of you, much respect! Cheers friends! cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 11:01 am 
I've heard through the grapevine that the graffiti has started to come back already. Haven't been there recently to see for myself.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 4:41 pm 
Sentry Guns? lol

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 4:44 pm 
Wi
Sore Feet wrote:
I've heard through the grapevine that the graffiti has started to come back already. Haven't been there recently to see for myself.
With the abuse at this rate of occurrence it wouldn't be too hard to set up game cams or live surveillance to bust some butt knuckles in the commission of their crime

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 5:40 am 
Isn't there an easier way of covering up the graffiti? Maybe painting over it. I commend the hard effort put in with the pressure blasters etc but if they are going to keep coming back and re tagging it is there an easier way of cleaning it?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 6:47 pm 
There's no such thing as "rock colored paint" that would both look natural and sufficiently cover pre-existing paint.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 8:45 pm 
^ Not to mention you'd be introducing some sort of nasty substance into the water when it floods or after heavy rains - no paint in the known universe is going to adhere to rock permanently - and the water downstream is probably suitable habitat for bull trout or some other threatened or endangered species. Paint = non-starter.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 9:04 pm 
On our hike last Sunday, not too far from the trailhead were some rocks that were spray painted with swastikas & the words "white power". shakehead.gif down.gif down.gif I did not take a picture.

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Mar 23, 2018 6:01 am 
Stopped by there 2 nights ago on the way home and the Graffiti punks are back at it again. Such a shame!!

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostFri Mar 23, 2018 10:58 am 
At least this can be removed and it's not kids starting another Eagle Creek Fire

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Mar 23, 2018 12:01 pm 
True but it is very disrespectful and disgusting.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostFri Mar 23, 2018 2:26 pm 
I agree. But I would rather kids do this then get into more serious crimes or drugs. Who knows maybe someday they will reminisce about the time spent down there and maybe they will start hiking and respecting nature. Their guilt may even cause them to join WTA work parties some day. It's easy to blame the youth for their actions, but just remember we all were young and dumb at some point, we all made mistakes. I try not to be too hard on them cause I packed WAY to much on my first backpacking trip and left trash to try and cut weight.( Maybe someone on here ended up packing it out someday even) I am not proud of it but I have packed out more than enough trash to make up for it that I found on trails since. Just remember we were all young and dumb at a point instead of criticizing these actions when you see it maybe take it as an opportunity to teach them a valuable lesson. (Not saying anyone on here criticized anyone or acted out in appropriately just a broad example)

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Mar 23, 2018 2:48 pm 
I place part of the blame on WSDOT and the Forest Service for the increased attraction of these falls. The Forest Service recently put up a trailhead sign and DOT aligned the guard rails on a narrow shoulder to allow a couple of cars to park. A few more can squeeze in on the opposite side of the highway. It's the most dangerous spot IMO on the entire drive to Stevens Pass and I've seen one fatality there myself. Cars are coming down a long straightaway by Barclay Creek and often speeding and passing, not slowing down, and then they come around the bend and immediately encounter all the foot traffic to the falls.