Forum Index > Trail Talk > Search in Progress for Missing Person 04/11/17 ONP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Apr 11, 2017 4:46 pm 
Tuesday April 11, 2017 13:54 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Search in Progress for Missing Person A search began late Thursday, April 6th for Jacob Gray, a 22-year old Washington man whose bicycle and camping gear was found on the side of the Sol Duc Road in Olympic National Park. Jacob is described as being 5-11” tall and weighing 145 pounds. A photo and more information is available on the following page. Gray left home on the evening of Wednesday, April 5th. His unattended bicycle and gear was reported to the park on the afternoon of Thursday, April 6th. A hasty search was conducted by Law Enforcement Rangers in the area of the bicycle including the river bank by the Sol Duc River. Rangers continue to search the area for Mr. Gray focusing on the river corridor. We ask anyone who may have seen Mr. Gray in recent days to please call the park immediately at 360-565-3115. Information from other hikers and river user groups is often extremely valuable during searches. Currently the National Park Service has employees in the field and members of Olympic Mountain Rescue will join the search this afternoon. -NPS-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Apr 13, 2017 12:36 pm 
Thursday April 13, 2017 12:05 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Rangers Continue Search for Jacob Gray Rangers continue the search for Jacob Gray of Port Townsend, Washington, who has been missing since April 6th. Olympic National Law Enforcement Rangers and Olympic Mountain Rescue have been searching both sides of the the Sol Duc River cooridor near mile post 6.3 where Gray’s bicycle and camping gear were found. Park Rangers are integrating the use of search dogs into the operation. Gray left home on the evening of Wednesday, April 5th. His unattended bicycle and gear was reported to the park on the afternoon of Thursday, April 6th. A hasty search was conducted by Law Enforcement Rangers in the area of the bicycle including the river bank by the Sol Duc River. We ask anyone who may have seen Mr. Gray in recent days to please call the park immediately at 360-565-3115. Information from other hikers and river user groups is often extremely valuable during searches. --NPS--

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostThu Apr 13, 2017 3:40 pm 
Post on FB reporting SAR found signs he went into the river and then climbed out.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 4:26 pm 
Friday April 14, 2017 16:05 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Search for Jacob Gray Transitions Out of Olympic National Park Search operations within Olympic National Park for Jacob Gray of Bellevue, WA have transitioned to a limited continuous search. This means that rangers will continue to follow up on any clues that emerge, but are not actively searching. The focus of the search will now shift to U.S. Forest Service land on the south side of the Sol Duc River, coordinated by the Clallam County Sheriffs Department. "I want to thank those involved in the search and express compassion for Jacob's loved ones during these very trying days," said Olympic National Park Acting Superintendent Lee Taylor. Gray’s unattended bicycle and camping gear were reported to the park on the afternoon of Thursday, April 6th. Park Rangers conducted a hasty search in the area of the bicycle including the bank of the Sol Duc River. On Friday, April 7th rangers made contact with Gray’s family and widened their search to include the road corridor of the Sol Duc River Road. Concentrating their search around the river, which has been running fast, cold, and high, rangers continued the search on April 8th, 9th and 10th. On the afternoon Tuesday, April 11th members of the Olympic Mountain Rescue joined the search and on April 12th extended the search area to the left side of the river outside the boundaries of Olympic National Park, increasing the search area to roughly four square miles. On the afternoon of Thursday, April 13th a search dog team from Everett Mountain Rescue out of Snohomish County searched the left side of the river bank. -NPS-

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 9:43 am 
OLYMPIC NATIONAL PARK — Searches for two men missing on the Olympic Peninsula for more than a week are scaling back, officials said Sunday. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 5:21 pm 
Very sad that two young men are missing. The searchers deserve our praise and thanks. They do so much to help the families in all cases.

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 7:40 am 
There may finally be some news for Jacob Gray's family. http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/officials-remains-could-be-hiker-missing-since-2017-in-olympic-national-park/

God, I am going to regret this someday!
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 7:48 am 
Not what I expected (many signs pointed to him having fallen into the river). At least this will hopefully provide some closure to his family.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 8:58 am 
He apparently hiked the High Divide on the first week of April.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 10:12 am 
Schroder wrote:
The real question then becomes, why didn't he take his gear with him? Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 11:33 am 
that face book group we all hate says his body was found at Hoh Lake.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Schroder wrote:
The real question then becomes, why didn't he take his gear with him? Rumi
From the Facebook page: The only items unaccounted for among Jacob's camping gear are: • Camouflage backpack • Hudson's Bay Point Blanket (Cream with green, red, black, mustard stripes) • Forest green wool hooded Duffle coat with long toggle buttons • Blue MontBell Thunder Pass jacket • Charcoal MontBell Thunder Pass pants • Rust Carhartt dungaree pants • Tan beanie (knit hat) • Gray Nike tennis shoes • A water filtration tool Sounds like just enough gear to do the loop as a day hike. Seems like one would get stuck up at the Bogachiel Saddle in April without an ice ax and or traction devices - some steep side hilling to get to Deer lake. Did he get mixed up and head down toward Hoh lake instead of following the Boggy side of the divide back to Deer Lake? The trail splits 3 ways at the saddle and from the saddle the Hoh Lake trail is the most inviting to walk (flattest). It would have been totally snowbound, and there is a good bit of downhill to get to the lake. But the FB news doesn't say he was found at one of the officially designated Hoh Lake campsites, just at a campsite. Probably a bivy somewhere along the way. There are only 3 sites at Hoh Lake and all are quota sites and many folks have used them since last April. I was doing the loop back in July and did walk out the flat part to where the trail starts to drop into the Hoh lake basin.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 1:31 pm 
Wouldn't there have been 10 feet of snow on High Divide the first week of April?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:47 pm 
Monday August 13, 2018 15:58 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Human Remains Found in Remote Area of Olympic National Park Port Angeles, WA: Late Friday afternoon, August 10, a field crew of park employees and volunteers found abandoned outdoor recreation equipment and clothing in a very remote area in the Daniel J. Evans Wilderness of Olympic National Park. The clothing and equipment matched the description of items related to missing 22-year old Jacob Gray of Port Townsend, WA. Early Saturday morning, a team of park law enforcement rangers were sent to conduct a detailed search of the area. During their search, the team found additional clothing and human skeletal remains. The remains are being transferred to the local medical examiner’s office for positive identification. Until then, no further information is available. This is an active investigation and once it is complete more details will be released. “Our deepest sympathies go out to the Gray family and friends in this difficult time,” said Superintendent Sarah Creachbaum. Gray left home on the evening of April 5, 2017. On the afternoon of April 6, Gray’s unattended bicycle and gear were found on the side of Sol Duc Road. Law enforcement rangers conducted a hasty search of the area which included the Sol Duc River bank. Larger interagency search efforts focused on the river corridor turned up no indication of his whereabouts. -NPS-

reststep

reststep
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:40 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Wouldn't there have been 10 feet of snow on High Divide the first week of April?
Waterhole is the closest snotel site. For some reason I am not able to pull up the data for 2017 but if this year is any indication then the snow depth would have been around 10 feet at the snotel site and assuming the snow depth is about the same at High Divide could have been around 10 feet there also.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir