Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Does anyone use Opera web browser?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Apr 13, 2017 9:26 pm 
I am on a PC with Windows 7. I generally use Mozilla Firefox for most of my browsing. Some sites that I go to have a lot of ads and I visit these in Firefox's Private Browsing mode. This browser does a great job of ad blocking for one thing. I will also open an Internet Explorer browser to look at some sites. I.E. has always been a bit slow, but in the last couple of weeks or so, it's become ridiculous--to the point of unusability. (Wonder if anyone else noticed?) So now I am looking at other browsing options. What about Opera? A friend suggested it tonight. I have been reading up on it some. From what I can tell, the search engine is Google. I really want to avoid Google products if possible. Does anyone know if I can switch the search engine to Duck Duck Go? That's the one I use on Firefox. Just trying to reduce somewhat the tracking that goes on. Also when I went to search for the Opera download, I found a ton of alternate sites that said download this, download that. No thank you. I believe I have found the correct site. Is this the one to use? Thanks, ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Apr 13, 2017 10:18 pm 
I assume you meant that you're using adblock for Firefox? You should be able to install adblock for any of the major browsers. Similarly for choice of search engine, you should be able to choose whatever default search engine you want. I don't really worry about what ad service is tracking me since their ads will just be blocked, so rarely use private browsing. Seems overkill. Opera has a very low desktop market share (in the 1% range). I'd probably pick Chrome if you want to switch browsers. Not sure why you want to avoid Google products. They are the probably the least of the evils lurking. IE is the worst. MS Edge is supposedly much faster but not available for Windows 7. Even if it were available I wouldn't recommend Edge just because MS is the devil, not to mention it doesn't matter how fast Edge is when it's still broken in so many ways, just not as bad as IE. If your web browsing experience is slowing to a crawl it might be time to upgrade to a new computer. I had a 10 year old laptop that worked great until about 1-2 years ago when everything started to get sluggish. It got to the point where I couldn't even browse Yahoo Mail unless I used the "classic" version. Web pages have become so bloated. Got a new computer and amazed how much faster browsing the web is.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 1:36 am 
Chrome + Adblock Plus is decent for browsing clickbait sites for me. Opera may have a tiny market share, but one of the clients of the consulting firm I work for just contracted for an opera specific version of their app. That might just be yet another of their crazy poorly thought through decisions. (But hey its all billiable hours!!)

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 6:23 am 
zephyr wrote:
Does anyone know if I can switch the search engine to Duck Duck Go?
I used DDG for a while then tried to get rid of it. I forget now what the annoyance(s) were. I was quite happy with Pale Moon, a derivitave of Firefox, I believe. It was fast and worked well, but then it moved on and the improvements left XP behind. I still use it, but some features don't work. oh, well....

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 7:35 am 
I use an older version of opera and have for years because I still use an older os...I like opera because I can use the cache part of google returns and not get all that ad/vid/pic junk just the text which is mostly all I want anyway. Also opera has a limited build in irc which I use a lot. as far as using ddg or any search engine just type in the url. I think then you will probably find ddg install program..

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 7:49 am 
Tom wrote:
Not sure why you want to avoid Google products. They are the probably the least of the evils lurking.
Because it's my understanding that Google tracks and stores your information. I admit I have a somewhat fuzzy comprehension of all this. I am generally happy with my main usage of Firefox in Private Mode for news and political news sites. But it doesn't allow me to read the occasionally posted Twitter posts in the Disqus comments. I can read the comments and the occasional YouTube video clips and see any art or political cartoons, but I can't see if someone has posted a Tweet. These are usually of breaking news from a variety of sources. For this site (NWHikers)and other more routine things, I was okay using FireFox in its regular mode and Duck Duck Go for searches. I can handle some tracking, but want to manage it if possible. So that's why I have to open a different browser without the private window to see the Twitter posts in those threads. I was using I.E. for that purpose and it was painfully slow, but once all the ads loaded, I could generally scroll through the Disqus comments and quickly see those Tweets. It sounds tedious, but it worked for awhile until two weeks ago. Then when I finished that particular session, I could delete my browsing history from I.E. I am sure that MS was able to track me during that session, but somehow deleting the history seemed to be a good idea. I.E. now completely locks up if I paste in the URL from the blog page with the comments. That door has closed and I am looking for another route to view those embedded Tweets in the Disqus comments when I see any that might be more details on a story or breaking news. Here's a note in the Wikipedia entry on Opera: One security feature is the option to delete private data, such as HTTP cookies, browsing history, items in cache and passwords with the click of a button.[47] This lets users erase personal data after browsing from a shared computer. When visiting a site, Opera displays a security badge in the address bar which shows details about the website, including security certificates.[47] Opera also implements a proprietary protocol from Google called "Safe Browsing" to check the website that is being visited against blacklists for phishing and malware, and displays a warning page if it matches any of these lists.[47] That's why I am asking if anyone uses it. It's my understanding that the search engine uses Google as the Default, but you can choose from a few others. I wonder if Duck Duck Go is on that list. It's a non-tracking search engine if I am correct. Thanks, ~z

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 8:16 am 
Given that congress just voted to allow ISP's to sell your internet history to advertisers or anyone else: https://www.recode.net/2017/3/28/15080502/house-trump-republicans-congress-vote-overturn-privacy-fcc I'm not sure what difference it makes which browser or search engine you use on whether you'll get bombarded with ads targeting your interests or not. I suppose you could use a VPN in Romania or somewhere to mask your activity -- but every packet ultimately has to get routed through your cable/fiber modem. I'm always entertained by the fact that I see tons of ads for the exact item I just bought on Amazon... I already have one -- how good of an investment is advertising targeted toward me to buy another? A competing model maybe, but the exact same item? It would be more concerning if they more competent. (advertisers, politicians)

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 8:46 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Given that congress just voted to allow ISP's to sell your internet history to advertisers or anyone else:
Yeah, pretty lame move, huh. huh.gif But I am sure our leaders have our best interests at heart. /s
RandyHiker wrote:
I suppose you could use a VPN in Romania or somewhere to mask your activity
Yes, I am aware of this. I am not that paranoid. Just trying to cut down on some of the tracking and exposure. It's all relative. I am not going to lose sleep over this. But am checking to see if anyone uses Opera and knows more about it. Thanks.
RandyHiker wrote:
I'm always entertained by the fact that I see tons of ads for the exact item I just bought on Amazon... I already have one -- how good of an investment is advertising targeted toward me to buy another? A competing model maybe, but the exact same item?
I've noticed that too. It's pretty annoying. wink.gif ~z

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 1:44 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I'm always entertained by the fact that I see tons of ads for the exact item I just bought on Amazon... I already have one -- how good of an investment is advertising targeted toward me to buy another? A competing model maybe, but the exact same item?
Hopefully you're using NWH's link. clown.gif The only time I notice targeted ads is when I've turned off my adblocker and forget to re-enable it. I also get a suprising number of malware attempts (e.g. upgrade firefox) thru ads. I find it best just to block all ads. Kind of funny but the mobile browser I've been using (UC browser) has an adblock feature. But the browser is now displaying their own ads.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 6:03 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Because it's my understanding that Google tracks and stores your information.
That's neither here nor there. Google can track your information if you're not using Chrome, just like Facebook has profiles and information on anyone that visits a website with a Like button on it. The browser isn't specifically being used to track you, it's the websites that utilize their code which you visit - and so many websites use Google's Adsense platform that it's essentially impossible to avoid. But you can negate much of it with some extensions for your browser. Chrome is far and away the best browser on the market right now, and yes you can turn off tracking just like in Firefox. Install a couple privacy oriented plugins and you'll be fine. I don't recommend Adblock Plus any longer because they sort of "sold out" in a sense and will allow advertising companies to pay to whitelist their domains (you can manually override these whitelists, but it's annoying to have to do so). The one you want is called uBlock Origin (not just "uBlock") - it's open source and equally effective, if not moreso, than ABP ever was. Also install HTTPS Everywhere, and possibly also one called Random User Agent (though this one can mess with how some websites are displayed). You can get all three extensions for either Firefox or Chrome. Between those and enabling the Do Not Track flag in the Settings for either browser, you shouldn't have to worry about privacy much.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 7:02 pm 
Thanks, Sore Feet. I will look into this. I appreciate your thorough comment. And Thank you to everyone else who took time to reply. ~z

mike

mike
PostSun Apr 16, 2017 8:18 pm 
ublock origin and disconnect

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 6:12 pm 
You actually don't need Disconnect if you're using uBlock Origin; the same set of filters that Disconnect uses are baked into uBlock Origin's filter list (you might have to go into Settings to enable it though). The two extensions can fight with one another if you have them both installed and enabled.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 04, 2017 12:55 pm 
Thanks for the info SF. Hey, I wouldnt mind you smart guys listing all the extensions you guys use. Im not great at finding stuff like that.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jun 04, 2017 1:58 pm 
I used uBlock for a while after it was recommended here. It was OK but really hated the fact they make it such a PITA to temporarily disable/enable the extension. With Adblock you can just click on the icon and it gives you option to disable/enable everywhere. With uBlock you need to click menu, addons, exensions, find ublock, then click disable / enable, or jump thru similar hoops. I would have put up with it if the darn thing just worked as well as Adblock but it doesn't. So many times I'd click on links and it would block pefectly legit pages. Went back to Adblock and haven't looked back.