Forum Index > Trip Reports > WSDOT report for Artist Pt
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostSun Apr 16, 2017 3:59 pm 
WSDOT POST: Our crews headed up to Artist Point, at the end of the SR 542 Mt. Baker Highway, this week.(Thursday the 13th) What'd they find? Snow. Lots, and lots and lots of snow. They found 42-45 feet at the Lake Ann parking lot, 31 feet on top of the rest room in the Artist Point lot, 25 foot average in the upper Artist Point parking lot with 40-45 feet around the edges and 60-80 feet in the last corner of the upper lot. So, again, lots of snow. We should be skiing until July. Whoopee biggrin.gif Live everyday like you will die to-marrow. For someday that will be true.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
oneeyedfatman

oneeyedfatman
PostThu Apr 20, 2017 2:33 pm 
60-80 feet?!? Measured how? It's been a good snow year, but you must be exaggerating.

Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostThu Apr 20, 2017 2:38 pm 
I got the report from my friend who works in the WSDOT office. It was their people who stuck the tape measure in the snow.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Apr 20, 2017 2:47 pm 
There is ~16 feet at the NWAC sensor at 4200 feet. 1000 feet higher... they report an average of 25 feet on the parking lot. Matches well with the NWAC sensor. Given 25 feet of snow... a drift over depressions in terrain could certainly reach 80 feet. Baker and Rainier are pretty high on the list of world's snowiest places. Only a couple of mountains are clearly snowier.

oneeyedfatman

oneeyedfatman
PostThu Apr 20, 2017 5:13 pm 
Thanks for the replies and clarifications.
Celticclimber wrote:
It was their people who stuck the tape measure in the snow.
That must be quite the tape measure! Seriously, though, do you know how they measured the depth? Some kind of radar sounding device?
thunderhead wrote:
Given 25 feet of snow... a drift over depressions in terrain could certainly reach 80 feet.
I suppose drifts could fill in that deep. But I wouldn't expect 60-80 feet of snow to melt before the following winter, either. Are there permanent snowfields in that vicinity?
thunderhead wrote:
Baker and Rainier are pretty high on the list of world's snowiest places. Only a couple of mountains are clearly snowier.
I knew Baker and Rainier are often in the running for various snowfall records. Do you know where I can get more information on the mountains that are even snowier? This is a topic that really interests me.