Forum Index > Gear Talk > clothing and sleeping bag for August trip?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Desertsp

Desertsp
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 9:30 am 
Looking for advice on clothing and sleeping gear for a five day trip in the third week of August. Probably either near Glacier Peak or Ross Lake. Having never camped in the PNW, I'm not sure what kind of temperatures or weather to expect. Sounds like it will be hot, with maybe a few days of rain? Would these be appropriate for August?
  • Synthetic 40 degree bag + inflatable pad (I currently own a 0 degree down bag)
  • Synthetic Nano puff jacket
  • Basic breathable rain jacket and pants
  • Nylon convertible pants
  • Lightweight synthetic leggings and long sleeve shirt
  • Wool socks, synthetic underwear, couple of synthetic t-shirts
Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
drilldaddyo

drilldaddyo
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 10:11 am 
Some might suggest a slightly warmer sleeping bag but I usually pack my Marmot Atom for August backpacking trips. I usually bring a lightweight synthetic ski hat and lightweight gloves for most of my trips. A hat for shade from the sun would be nice too. My two cents........ Hope this helps. Randy

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 11:53 am 
Sounds about right -- Certainly enough for the Eastbank of Ross Lake which is fairly low elevation. The Glacier Peak rambling might include some higher elevation travel and camping. If your Nanopuff isn't a "hoody" version, Personally I would bring a warm "Balaclava" type hat or a warm hat and a "neck gaiter" and possibly a second light insulating top -- equivalent to "mid-weight" "long underwear". I would also bring some sort of gloves -- which I always do anyway -- since it makes handling hot cooking pots easier. With the Cascades -- the weather is a fickle beast -- in August it's possible to have daytime highs in the 80s -- but you can also get overnight lows in the 30s and even a little snow storm. Recall a mid-July trip in the Pasayten, I brought my 45 degree bag and a little storm blew through one night and the overnight low was 35. I was glad I had a hooded jacket and some extra "long underwear" that night. Also FWIW, I carry a super lightweight umbrella (8oz) on Summer/Fall hiking trips -- it's great for hiking in the sun -- really keeps the heat off. It's also great in the rain -- at least below timberline. No other "rain gear" I'm familiar with lets me hike uphill in the rain without getting at least as wet from sweat as from the rain.

Desertsp

Desertsp
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 12:59 pm 
Thanks Randys(?)! Interesting idea - the umbrella. That sounds a lot nicer than a soggy jacket. I do need a less-warm sleeping bag for here in Wisconsin, so good to know I can get by with that for the Cascades as well. I'm trying to get my pack weight down so this helps.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 2:55 pm 
A-ok.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Apr 18, 2017 11:11 am 
I use a 30 Degree Down bag in the warmer summer months. Some nights it can be hot enough that you end up on top of your bag, and then crawl inside later. I carry some silk weight sleeping long underwear, and clean socks to wear in my bag. Having a dry/clean set of clothes to wear at night is worth the incremental few grams. If it's colder; I have both a 100 weight fleece jacket and/or a hooded puffy than I could use depending on temperature. I also have a pair of Helly Hanson "Dry Fly" pants that I can add for leg warmth. I have both a fleece beanie or a buff that I will wear at night to keep my head warm.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau