Forum Index > Trip Reports > West Derby Canyon Loop (Peshastin)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 9:33 am 
The plan was to do a loop using several ridges up Derby Canyon Rd. going up Tres Hombres Ridge circling around the back of West Derby Canyon, possibly going up Humility Hill, then returning via Xanadu Ridge. We have been up these ridges independently doing other loops, but both ridges offer a great wildflower display, rock formations, and spectacular views so we thought combine them. We were off to a good start around 0845 and Glacier Lilly's, Spring Beauties, Yellow Bells, Blue Bells, and Ball Head Waterleaf all made a good showing while Balsam Root were blooming but much less frequent. Views emerged rather quickly of the Enchantments and we made good time up the ridge where we off trailed it to a forest road, we brought our gaiters thinking there might be some snow on the North side of several high points and Humility Hill and as we came around the North side of those areas there was snow a plenty, not good snow, random post holing snow which was at least several feet down low and deeper higher. We were talking and gawking and missed our over the top ridge turn but everything was snowed in so we followed a forest road to the East and around below Humility Hill where we had lunch (after 9 miles, 3900'). I was wearing my year old Hokaa One Speed Hikers which were wetted out early on. After a brief lunch we headed up the North side of Humility Hill postholing through downed trees and brush then didn't take much interest in the summit which we had been up several times before instead opting to take the steep West ridge down and getting on Xanadu ridge, there I stopped and ringed the water out of my socks (forgot my second pair) and we continued down ridge until we hit the Xanadu trail from there it was just walking auto pilot, but it is a really nice ridge. We eventually came down and spit out on the road where we could have went cross country and connected to the truck but some how missed the turn off and didn't care walking the road. 14.5 miles, 4600'. I did somehow make it back to Wenatchee, took a shower, and made it over to my daughter and friends PCT send off dinner. I think Steve and I are ready for the upcoming hiking and backpacking season. up.gif
West Derby Canyon Loop
West Derby Canyon Loop
I always like the angle of Wedge from over here.
I always like the angle of Wedge from over here.
Going up
Going up
Fortress - Chiwawa - Red
Fortress - Chiwawa - Red
Glacier - Dirtyface - Clark
Glacier - Dirtyface - Clark
We could all most touch the Chumsticks.
We could all most touch the Chumsticks.
Mt. David
Mt. David
Deep crappy snow made us widen our loop to the East where we postholed , but probably less than going over the top.
Deep crappy snow made us widen our loop to the East where we postholed , but probably less than going over the top.
Snow
Snow
Going up the North Ridge of Humility Hill.
Going up the North Ridge of Humility Hill.
Going down Xanadu Ridge
Going down Xanadu Ridge
Bigly Group
Bigly Group
Enchantment Area
Enchantment Area
Glacier to Maude
Glacier to Maude
Humility Hill from across West Derby Canyon
Humility Hill from across West Derby Canyon

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 10:53 am 
nice trip! The ridges and small peaks tucked in between Entiat Ridge and Hwy 2 sure offer a lot of low key easy rambling and there's virtually no one there if you're not walking a road.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Distel32

Distel32
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 11:08 am 
up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 4:40 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
The ridges and small peaks tucked in between Entiat Ridge and Hwy 2 sure offer a lot of low key easy rambling and there's virtually no one there if you're not walking a road.
Yes indeed past wildfires thinned most of the area and understory so you can get around, that and the mix of trails and roads allows you to piece together some interesting trips early. up.gif Once it warms up and the snow is gone water is limited but the peak wildflowers are still ahead of us.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 5:46 pm 
Some of that loop actually looks like rather enjoyable hiking! Good luck to the girls on their PCT trip. Hope they get through the eastern Sierras ok. Since Hannah will be carrying a couple pieces of gear she got from me that will be my claim to fame on the PCT.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 6:41 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
Any idea what this peak is?

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 7:53 pm 
Very nice!! The views are really quite nice. Love the contrast with the snowy peaks. Definitely making a note to consider this!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 8:12 pm 
RichP wrote:
wildernessed wrote:
Any idea what this peak is?
Miller. Rich I imagine the cornice that forms across the South Ridge is pretty large this year.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Apr 18, 2017 3:21 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Hope they get through the eastern Sierras ok.
I think they are planning on bypassing part of the Sierra's coming North then going back in Sept. to finish that and do Whitney. They spent the last two weekends packing food and boxing it up. A lot of logistics.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Apr 20, 2017 5:58 am 
mbravenboer wrote:
Very nice!! The views are really quite nice. Love the contrast with the snowy peaks. Definitely making a note to consider this!
You can customize the looping in there but the wildflowers when peaking are spectacular mixed with the terrain and the expansive mountain views are some of the best in the area. I will add some links to previous trips using different routes. Sunny week days are best. Sauer Mountain - Derby Canyon Thru - hike using Tres Homes Ridge Xanadu Ridge - Humility Hill Loop Blag Mountain Loop

ree

ree
PostThu Apr 20, 2017 11:22 am 
Thanks for asking that question Rich... I was wondering the same. Thanks for the labeling and the map. Looks like a nice trip, easily accessed. You're the Eastside Idea Guy. biggrin.gif