Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lennox Mountain + Cooney lake 16 apr 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 12:30 pm 
I have not seen any spring trip reports from this area yet, so decided to check it out. I used standard approach via abandoned West Fork Miller road to Conney Creek and up the rib from there. There is a lot of snow this year. Snowshoes were a must. Unfortunately snow is currently very soft/unconsolidated and it slides a lot. So it was one step up, to steps sliding down - very slow progress. The avy danger for sunday was cosiderable and I could hear large avalanches coming down. There was also an avalanche that previously went all the way down to the river and over the road at one place. Road is also still mostly snow covered, however areas of snow are constantly intersected by areas of brush and water, too annoying to manage in snowshoes, but post-holing in boots frown.gif I only used snowshoes above 2500 feet maybe. Best part was bear footprints. There were very fresh bear footprints on the road for about a mile and they helped a lot. I know they are fresh, because I could still see imprints of every bears nail, but due to the sun they melt out fast and nails disappear after an hour or so. I followed exactly in bear footprints - they are well compacted helping to reduce postholing, my mountaineering boot fits exactly into them and spacing is exactly right for my stride. Thank you Mr. or Mrs. Bear!
Unfortunately bear left the road and went into the river eventually. I next found another fresh set of second bear's footprints on the rib near to Cooney creek, but this second bear also didn't want to break the trail for me all the way up to the peak and dropped down into the creek drainage very soon. I'm kind of surprised bear did this, since it seems like a very avy danger area. Once out of the tree line the snow and the views are just amazing in every direction, despite heavy dark clouds looming above in the sky. There are massive cornices too. I really love this area, every time I go there it feels very wild to me. Last time I went in autumn and there was a bear eating berries at the lake, now there is couple wondering in snow. If you go there, be careful and stay friendly to bears.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Distel32

Distel32
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 12:41 pm 
up.gif

Waterman

Waterman
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 12:42 pm 
Is your dog a Shiba?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 12:43 pm 
Yes, she is a shiba and she loves snow and mountains!

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 1:04 pm 
up.gif

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 1:12 pm 
kitya wrote:
There was also an avalanche that previously went all the way down to the river and over the road at one place.
Yes, this definitely happens there along that road paranoid.gif and further up big ones come down from Coney Creek. Had that (big slide) occurred yet this year? You might have had some bad snow on the way up, but at least you had some beautiful vistas. Great report. ~z
kitya wrote:

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 1:16 pm 
I didn't come that close to Cooney creek basin, but from above it looked like it had smaller avalanches from both sides, but not in the middle. If I remember correctly there was a monster avalanche to the left of it, not sure how far down it went, but it looked enormous! And yes, views were amazing, this Sunday was great for the views!

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 4:09 pm 
Very nice! I think every time I see a Lennox report from that direction it goes up a step on my wishlist wink.gif. Appreciate the bear warnings also.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 5:29 pm 
cool, I was up in that area on Saturday doing nearby easter pk. the lennox area looked pretty nice and snowy from the summit! I wasn't lucky enough to have bear tracks to follow

Eric Eames
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 5:50 pm 
Easter peak sounds fun too, I have never heard of it. Do you know the coordinates of easter peak and what is the route/track to get there?

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 6:02 pm 
kitya wrote:
Easter peak sounds fun too, I have never heard of it. Do you know the coordinates of easter peak and what is the route/track to get there?
http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=59648 leave the old road bed at ~1600' take the East ridge and then the NE ridge to the summit

Eric Eames
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 6:08 pm 
Thanks!

Kenji

Kenji
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 6:10 pm 
Thanks for the beta, I've been thinking about heading up that way. Looks like the snow will be around for a while. Anybody has info on the Money Cr side approach?

Type E

Type E
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 6:21 pm 
Hearty solo trip! I attempted Lennox via the money creek side via crystal basin with no special difficulties best to do in early spring to cover the brush in the lower slopes

Kenji

Kenji
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 7:01 pm 
Thanks TypeE, I've gone that way several times. I'm interested in any current info this Spring wink.gif