Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Rep. Chaffetz to step down in 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 8:16 am 
Rep. Jason Chaffetz, the scourge of public lands, announced on Facebook that he is stepping down from his current "job" in the US House of Representatives at the end of his term. Chaffetz gained infamy among hikers, hunters, mtn bikers, and fishermen for proposing a bill to "dispose" of public lands to private ownership and rolling back President Obama's designation of Bears Ears as a National Monument. Here's his statement from Facebook:
Quote:
After long consultation with my family and prayerful consideration, I have decided I will not be a candidate for any office in 2018. Since late 2003 I have been fully engaged with politics as a campaign manager, a chief of staff, a candidate and as a Member of Congress. I have long advocated public service should be for a limited time and not a lifetime or full career. Many of you have heard me advocate, “Get in, serve, and get out.” After more than 1,500 nights away from my home, it is time. I may run again for public office, but not in 2018. For those that would speculate otherwise, let me be clear that I have no ulterior motives. I am healthy. I am confident I would continue to be re-elected by large margins. I have the full support of Speaker Ryan to continue as Chairman of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee. That said, I have made a personal decision to return to the private sector.
I would not be surprised to see Chaffetz back in politics again, perhaps launching a future run for governor or senator from Utah. In the meantime, I'm sure he will find plenty more opportunities to monetize the remainder of his term. For example, the "disposal of public lands" bill Chaffetz wrote is still alive in the House, even after he promised to kill the bill after he received an onslaught of negative feedback from the public.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 8:19 am 
When a politician wants to "spend more time with his family" there is usually either a dead girl or a live boy in his bed. Either that or he will be the next Secretary of Interior.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 8:51 am 
This is the same douche who threatened the mayor of DC with jail time if she allowed legalized marijuana, even though the people voted for it. He is also an opponent of legal euthanasia.

fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 9:21 am 
He is also the chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and has refused to mount ANY investigation into the current administration's actions. What good is an Oversight Committee that has no interest in doing their job? Nothing to investigate??? Yeah, right.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 12:51 pm 
^ bizness as usual dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 2:00 pm 
Hmmmm. Whatever happened to the no-politics rule?

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 2:46 pm 
This thread is about a politician who has been working hard to give away public lands. Sure, it's political, but the topic is about stewardship of public lands, and belongs in the Stewardship Forum. I also mentioned his position on the Oversight Committee because that issue probably has more to do with his decision to "get out of politics," than the negative publicity he gained as an opponent of public lands. This fact is tangential to the stewardship issue, but it is still relevant to the discussion since he will be leaving his post in a year's time. Good news for everyone here, I'm sure you'd agree.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 2:55 pm 
Chaffetz says his decision to not run for another term is motivated by his desire to take a position in the private sector.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 3:20 pm 
I'm not sure holding auctions for land can be accurately described as giving them away.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 3:57 pm 
Well, that might be true, Mtn Goat, but ask yourself: who would benefit most from an "auction" of public lands: Chaffetz, the private company who "bought" the land, or the public? If you chose option #3, I think you're kidding yourself.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 5:32 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I'm not sure holding auctions for land can be accurately described as giving them away.
Then perhaps we can more accurately call it "kissing them goodbye", because that auction to private holders means most of us in most cases won't ever be able to access that land again. That's assuming said land is not so torn to shreds for resource extraction that we wouldn't want to go there anyway.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 6:31 pm 
No, don't be sure I'd agree with that, fairweather. Chaffetz represents a congressional district where many if not most of his constituents aren't terribly keen on federal management policies. So, he represents their interests. Chaffetz is possibly mistaken about many things, depending upon one's point of view. He has been spot-on about other issues that came before the Oversight committee that I've written about.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 7:23 pm 
Dave wrote:
"... most of his constituents..."
While that may well be true, those constituents don't own that land; the American public does. So while he may be working for his constituents in his district, he does not represent the interests of those constituents in the other 434 Congressional districts, many of whom unquestionably don't agree with Congressman Chaffetz when it comes to dispensing of publicly-owned lands. And yes, it is politics, but essentially most all of the stewardship issues discussed here do ultimately go back to the politics of the matter; unfortunately in all too many cases the politics trumps the science.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 8:35 pm 
They're the American public too, and they *live* there. This disdain from a distance is exactly why people support him.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostThu Apr 20, 2017 4:44 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
They're the American public too, and they *live* there. This disdain from a distance is exactly why people support him.
Exactly. up.gif