Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > yellowstone white wolf killed
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat May 13, 2017 7:32 am 
the reward has been increased to $10000 A Famous White Wolf in Yellowstone Was Illegally Shot to Death, Necropsy Shows By Douglas Main On 5/12/17 at 4:55 PM white-wolf A 12-year-old white wolf was illegally shot by a hunter within Yellowstone National Park on April 10 or 11. Yellowstone National Park Tech & Science Wolves Yellowstone National Park A preliminary necropsy shows that a famous white wolf that lived in Yellowstone National Park was illegally shot and killed. The animal was found mortally injured April 11 by hikers on the north side of the park, near Gardiner, Montana. Park staff responded but could not save the animal's life, and she was euthanized. The park sent the wolf to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Forensics Laboratory in Ashland, Oregon for a necropsy, and the preliminary results were announced late May 11 in a statement from the park. “Due to the serious nature of this incident, a reward of up to $5,000 is offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individual(s) responsible for this criminal act,” said Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Dan Wenk in the statement. The park is currently investigating the incident. Subscribe to Newsweek from $1 per week The female wolf was one of three white wolves in the park. At the time of her death, she was 12 years old, twice the average age of other wolves in Yellowstone. She had a productive life, siring 20 pups, 14 of which survived to one year of age. “She was one of the most recognizable wolves and sought after by visitors to view and photograph,” the park said in the statement. Wolves naturally vary in color, ranging from black to white to brown to gray. Though guns are permitted in Yellowstone National Park, they cannot be shot, and shooting wildlife is strictly forbidden, says Erin Edge, with the environmental group Defenders of Wildlife. Wolves were extirpated from most of the continental United States by the 20th century due to widespread persecution. In 1995, officials reintroduced a small number of wolves in Yellowstone National Park. Since then, wolf numbers have increased in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho, and they have been removed from Endangered Species Act protections in all three states. It’s currently legal to shoot wolves with a permit in Montana from September to April, but obviously not within park territory. As of 2014, there were at least 104 wolves in 11 packs within Yellowstone. This wolf as an alpha female, meaning she was the dominant in her group, and mated with the same alpha male for more than nine years, according to the park. The shooting is likely to intensify debate about how to best manage wolves in the Yellowstone area. As it is, park wolves can be legally shot when they wander outside of the park. At least one group, the Native American advocacy organization Protect the Wolves, has proposed establishing a 31-mile “buffer zone” outside of the park where wolves cannot be shot. "It’s always sad to hear about a loss like this," Edge says, noting how important wolves are to the environment and to the park itself, being a huge draw for tourists around the world. The park noted that if anybody has a tip about who might be responsible, they should contact the National Park Service Investigative Services Branch.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat May 13, 2017 2:23 pm 
shakehead.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat May 13, 2017 2:43 pm 
Quote:
"...illegally shot by a hunter..."
^ This reflects badly on hunters. I really kind of doubt most "real" hunters would call this knucklehead a "hunter". .... and what kind of "hunting season" occurs in May?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat May 13, 2017 6:46 pm 
We were fortunate to see her in her prime several years ago. She was apparently very old, by wild wolf standards, but did not deserve to die that way.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Humptulips

Humptulips
PostMon May 15, 2017 6:56 pm 
Ski wrote:
Quote:
"...illegally shot by a hunter..."
^ This reflects badly on hunters. I really kind of doubt most "real" hunters would call this knucklehead a "hunter". .... and what kind of "hunting season" occurs in May?
There is absolutely no evidence it was shot by a hunter. There are lot of gun owners in this country who are not hunters. Could have been a rancher, farmer or just some yahoo out shooting at stuff. How many signs have you seen with bullet holes in them? White wolf make an equally appealing target. And you hit on the head about the time of year. No hunters out this time of the year.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon May 15, 2017 9:20 pm 
^ well.... that was exactly the point I was trying to make. I would tend to think it was more along the lines of "just some yahoo out shooting at stuff" than "hunter", and even though it's just my lousy opinion, I'd make a wild guess and say Mr. Workman would most likely agree. It is language like that - inserted into articles by non-thinking reporters - that give hunters a bad name.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue May 16, 2017 9:08 am 
must have made a big impact because it is now being carried by bbc, dailymail and twitter

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue May 16, 2017 11:01 am 
It might have been shot and wounded legally outside the park for all the article says. Not good journalism.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed May 17, 2017 1:11 pm 
Indeed, the article is a poor example of reporting, much less journalism. The real villain though is the person who shot the wolf. I hope they catch the person who did this. Definitely not a "hunter"...perhaps a poacher, some ignorant fanatic, or some inbred mouth breather with a gun, but not a hunter. It really sucks that they left the wolf to suffer, a sign the person may be psychopathic .

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat May 20, 2017 8:56 am 
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed May 31, 2017 8:20 am 
Reward upped to $25,000 for info about Yellowstone white wolf death UPDATED: Tue., May 30, 2017, 3:05 p.m. Yellowstone National Park is offering a reward of up to $25,000 for information about the shooting death of a similar rare white wolf near Gardiner, Mont. The wolf is believed to have been shot April 10 or 11. MAMMOTH HOT SPRINGS, Wyo. – Yellowstone National Park is offering a reward of up to $25,000 for information about the shooting death of a rare white wolf near Gardiner, Montana. The wolf is believed to have been shot April 10 or 11. Wildlife managers euthanized the 12-year-old female wolf after hikers found it injured. Park Superintendent Dan Wenk said due to an outpouring of donations the park established the Yellowstone Resources Rewards Fund. Up to $25,000 will be the reward in the wolf shooting case. Any money left over will be used for future resource violation cases in the park. Anyone with information is asked to contact the National Park Service Investigative Branch via phone at 1-888-653-0009; via text at 202-379-4761; online at www.nps.gov/isb and click on “submit a tip;” via email at nps–isb@nps.gov; via Facebook message @InvestigativeServicesNPS or via Twitter @SpecialAgentNPS.