Forum Index > Trail Talk > Who camped on the summit of a WA volcano? I want to camp on top of all of them!!!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 10:20 pm 
Question on camping on the summits of higher elevations. I have a little dream of camping on top of all 5 WA volcanos. Questions for those who done it: 1. Is there any specific permits/logistics for that? 2. How did you do it? What would you recommend? 3. What time of the year did you do it? Any info, stories will be helpful. For example, I was thinking for Rainier take it slow, and spend first night at camp Muir, second night somewhere higher, and last night on the summit. For all the nice people who mean well, and want to help with recommendations, (lectures, advice), but have no experience camping on snow at high elevations, please restrain from leaving negative, or useless comments... smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif And, for people who will ask: I do have experience with snow/glacier travel, snow camping, ropes, do have proper equipment, and know how to use it. Also, I summited 4 Volcanos, and some other 8K+ (feet) peaks already. (still have Glacier Peak left) Thank you!

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 10:41 pm 
Glacier Peak. Late July. The small pumice flat 50' E of the summit, and down about 30' has several tent sites. Running water in the form of a trickle from the snowbank to the summit was available during daylight. We had breakfast on the summit as I flew my bat kite, getting both rolls of string into the action. The climbers we watched making their approach described their incredulity at the strange huge bird they kept getting glimpses of.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 11:11 pm 
I have been to the top of all the Wa volcanos and have camped at high elevations in CA and Nepal. There is nothing particularly difficult in camping there but there are two possible concerns. The first is wind most of our volcanoes have a constant gale going, the true summits have little shelter. Some have rock shelter rings but most are snow with a bit of pumice. Rainier has steam caves but sulphuric gases can be problematic. The wind can shred all but expedition tents. Nonetheless camping on the summit is common and does not require special permits. The second is altitude but your schedule seems a way to minimize the effects of AMS. I personally like views across to nearby summits rather than down on them but if you want to schlep overnight gear up there go for it.😺

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 11:28 pm 
^ what MC said.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Apr 18, 2017 12:21 am 
I seem to recall a story about someone that camped atop Glacier Peak for an extended period.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue Apr 18, 2017 6:39 am 
Sergio, in 1985 we camped on the summit of Rainier. It was not planned, but we had the gear for it no problem. We slept in one of the snow caves created from warm steam. It was warm in the cave but the floor was sloped and muddy. I slept poorly. We were not chastised by the park folks for sleeping on top.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Apr 18, 2017 7:47 am 
I've stayed on the summits of Baker and Rainier a few times - once on Rainier for 3 nights, all in July or August. Baker and Glacier don't offer much protection from the wind & we had a tense night in a lightning storm on top of Baker. Rainier gives you more options around the crater rim.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Apr 18, 2017 8:21 am 
I've never camped on any volcano summits and I don't think that I ever would. There's little protection and if a major storm rolled in you'd be in serious trouble without any way to easily retreat to a lower elevation. The summit area of South Sister is very broad, has rock shelters, and a small lake/pool. So I might consider camping up there for the novelty of it, but definitely not anywhere else.

nickmtn

nickmtn
PostTue Apr 18, 2017 8:51 am 
I was considering camping on top of South Sister later on this summer. Is there a reliable water source up there? I know of the 'tear drop pool' but I don't know if that water is actually accessible.

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostTue Apr 18, 2017 9:02 am 
Tom wrote:
I seem to recall a story about someone that camped atop Glacier Peak for an extended period.
In 2000 there was someone camped out on Glacier for at least one month, that we met. I think he was trying to do that on the other volcanos also. Had a lot of people help him get the stuff to the top. I have spent the night on Rainier (1975 climb--no permits needed then---in the crater below the high point) and the old St Helens summits. Permit wise, I would think the hardest, would be Rainier and maybe St Helens (are the climbing permits one day only?) the others need none.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 18, 2017 9:51 am 
nickmtn wrote:
Is there a reliable water source up there?
Melting snow is almost always an option high on a Cascade volcano. Easy on a sunny afternoon using a black tarp. A stove that works below freezing and extra fuel to melt snow is the usual approach. I typically carry a stove on cascade volcano trips -- even for day trips. A small stove, pot and fuel weighs less than a liter of water, but will melt many liters of snow for drinking. Being a lazy hiker, I enjoy periodically taking a break, melting some snow and having a snack.

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostTue Apr 18, 2017 11:12 pm 
Thank you for your replies! I think I camped on the summit only once, at Mt. Pugh; 7,000'
Highest I ever camped it was Ingram Flats at Rainier; 11,100'

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
gb

gb
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 8:31 am 
Anytime camping on snow be sure to carry blue bags.

mike

mike
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 10:06 am 
Mt Baker. Just down a few feet in the lee of the summit knob. Built a snow block wall to help with the wind. It had mostly sublimated by morning. Drinking tea and watching the sunrise and the first stragglers coming up in the morning. up.gif up.gif

Snowday

Snowday
PostThu Apr 20, 2017 6:36 am 
There is a book: Sleeping on the Summits: Colorado Fourteener High Bivys. It's about Colorado summits, not Cascade volcanoes, but it still may be of interest. Good luck Sergio; please write some trip reports.