Forum Index > Trip Reports > Skyline Experience - includes Mt. Siyeh (Glacier Park)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bigskywalker
Big Sky Walker

bigskywalker
Big Sky Walker
PostThu Apr 20, 2017 4:50 pm 
Here's one to think about for next summer - an epic off-trail hike in Glacier Park that includes summiting Mt. Siyeh . . . The Skyline Experience (lots of photos)

Happy trails! bigskywalker.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Apr 20, 2017 5:22 pm 
I've been enjoying your Montana TRs, keep 'em coming! up.gif I was impressed w/ the view of Mt. Siyeh from Piegan Pass. Haven't attempted to climb it. We were going to do the loop w/ Siyeh Pass but ended up bailing on it and just doing out and back.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Apr 21, 2017 12:28 am 
Looks great. I want to go there now. When I was a teenager, hiking through Siyeh Pass was one of my favorite memories.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
gb

gb
PostFri Apr 21, 2017 12:51 am 
On my only trip to Glacier NP, I had been planning to do the traverse of Siyeh on the 2nd day......until I ran into 4 young hikers who seemed a bit agitated. They had just attempted Siyeh a couple of hours before. Ahead, one of the males had come around a corner along the summit area and come face to face with a Grizzly, who of course charged the hiker. eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif It was a false charge to 30'. There were in total, according to my informants, four Grizzlies in total near the summit turning over rocks to eat moths. This was the last week of August and the moths would be Army Cutworm Moths. Good to know. I chose another hike, luckily. smile.gif

bigskywalker
Big Sky Walker

bigskywalker
Big Sky Walker
PostFri Apr 21, 2017 6:25 am 
GB, Wow! We did this hike on August 20, 2016. Fortunately we did not encounter any bears.

indyanajohns

indyanajohns
PostFri Apr 21, 2017 2:27 pm 
I did the same route about two weeks before you and we had a sow and cub near the top of Siyeh. I guess it’s pretty common to have grizzlies in the rock field below the summit flipping rocks for moths. It’s an amazing ridge walk but I would add it’s best done in August unless you’re prepared to cross some snow. If you were forced to cross the snow patch under peak 9190 you would not want to slip! Can’t wait to get back the GNP for more this summer.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Apr 21, 2017 4:20 pm 
Nice, thanks! Wynn to Siyeh always looked fabulous. Did Siyeh alone once. No gris but on another trip I looked down from the crest west of the peak and saw a wolverine loping along. Griz on the summits almost common. I remember doing Cleveland from the Stoney Indian side and there were fresh tracks in the snow on the summit.

Off trail rambler
bigskywalker
Big Sky Walker

bigskywalker
Big Sky Walker
PostFri Apr 21, 2017 8:04 pm 
Indyanajohns - That's a good point about the snow. I will edit my post to include that. Thanks.