Forum Index > Gear Talk > Fitting Scott Excursion ski boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 10:13 am 
Well, Excursions arrived and my first reaction was wow these are clunky, heavy. Second thought was the bellows are pretty darn stiff (and unlikely to "break in" much as leathers would) - which leads to what Steve was saying about using a pivoting binding. And that pivoting binding thought lead to a realization that such bindings are 3 lb/pair. (I'm used to 1 pound Rottefellas) And the boot/binding weight is starting to add up and I'm not sure I'm visualizing the return for that weight. So, possible Excursions not the path forward for me. Maybe better to stick with what I have ( 4 pound/pair leathers, composites) for touring here on L. Superior. Consider Fischer 675 boots or maybe even NNN BC rigs for "home" duty. And go AT if I'm pursuing a mountain skiing path.

Off trail rambler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 12:17 pm 
For touring in Michigan I would consider the Alpina BCX 675 that Steve mentioned or give the Alpina Alaska, Wyoming or Montana boots a look.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 5:36 pm 
Yep, I'm looking at them. Also scanning La Sportiva Syborg, AT. Looks like a tad over 3.5 lb./pair

Off trail rambler
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 5:51 pm 
Scarpa Alien's (3.6lbs per pair) on Snowinn -- currently pretty cheap (as Rando Race boots go anyway). I've had both Aliens and Syborgs -- both are great, the way the Alien grips the lower foot has superior comfort -- important on long days. https://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/scarpa-alien/1334327/p Good price on speed turns as well. https://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/dynafit-speed-turn-2.0/1313231/p But it is a whole different price category than nordic backcountry or light telemark gear. I've mounted my Ski Trab Race bindings on a pair of Madshus Glittertinds and used them on long rolling tours. Very light -- and I love the way the super soft tip of the Glittertind finds the surface when breaking track in soft deep snow.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 6:03 pm 
Randy, I am fascinated. I know they are a tad pricey but I can manage that. Do these AT bindings release?

Off trail rambler
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 7:08 pm 
The Speed turns have adjustable release, both forward and to the side. The release value isn't as precise as a DIN rated alpine binding, but thats OK. If you aren't hucking cliffs you can use a fairly low setting. I have enough scar tissue, so I appreciate having a release binding. While touring, you can "lock" the toe piece so you ski doesn't come off too easily while the heel is free.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Apr 29, 2017 9:26 am 
Try on lots of lightweight AT boots before you buy. Fit is most important, of course. I love my TLT6s with CL (lightest, highest volume) liners, which replaced my beat to death TLT5s. Put Atomic Backland on your list. All the boots in that class are lighter than tele boots, tour better and walk better. The fundamental difference between most tech bindings (e.g., Dynafit Speed Turn 2.0) and downhill bindings is that the lateral release of the former is at the heel, while the lateral release of the latter is at the toe. DH bindings are designed to release at the toe to prevent spiral fractures, but do virtually nothing to prevent the cause of most ACL tears. With the development of modern DH bindings, ACL ruptures have replaced spiral fractures as the most common (lower body) serious ski injury. Per analysis by a couple of smart physiologists (search and ye shall find) a release at the heel probably lessens the risk of a "phantom foot" ACL rupture. The other difference is that the vertical release of most tech bindings is less elastic, and that sometimes results in an unwanted vertical release if you get stuck in a hole at speed and try to power out. That has happened to me 2 or 3 times in hundreds of days on tech bindings. No biggie. And it's completely avoidable if you ski with caution, which you should in the backcountry. The bottom line for me is that tech bindings have released as reliably as DH bindings. My 10+ pairs of Dynafit bindings (various models) have always released when they needed to.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Apr 30, 2017 12:05 pm 
Thanks again Randy and Steve. I think I have some reading to do to bring myself up to speed on AT.

Off trail rambler