Forum Index > Trip Reports > Maynard Peak ONF, April 22 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
meck

meck
PostSat Apr 22, 2017 7:09 pm 
Maynard Peak, ONF (NE of Tyler Peak), Buckhorn Wilderness Elevation gain ~1900', topped out at ~5065' RT Distance: not far (2.5 miles?) My mistake was that I did not hike this one yesterday! I took a chance with the weather , and decided to give Maynard Peak a try as it has been in the back of my mind for a while. Stefan, Schmidt Altitude, and Timmie and Crabio all have good TRs for this one (which I failed to research before heading out), but I think I took a slightly different approach to get to the ridge line than they did. My intended route was to head for the saddle between Maynard and Tyler from the road, and then hope for the best ascending Maynard from the south (past photos I'd taken from Tyler Peak, "the Castle", and Mt Townsend made it look possible). I left FSR 2860 about 3/8ths of a mile west of where the 3 O'clock Ridge trail intersects the road (just before the road crosses Bungalo Creek) around 1015, and basically headed NNW into the Rhodies and trees. After a minute or two I came across some evidence that someone had been through the area recently with a machete (angle of cuts), and had literally "blazed a trail", as indicated by marks on some of the smaller trees in this second growth, in the direction I was going.... hmm I guess that works, and among all the various blazes I've seen I guess at least these were the smallest...
into the Rhody jungle!
into the Rhody jungle!
this tree dun got whacked!
this tree dun got whacked!
The blazed trail went in the direction I wanted to go (almost due north) and I followed it for at least 0.75 miles, as it eventually began heading up the south face of Maynard. The blazed path headed up toward the saddle and then angled into a slight draw/gully with large moss covered boulders (I stayed left of the boulders). At some point I could not really identify any more blazes so it was back to compass, map and altimeter. I was able to follow well-worn deer trails, up through a salal covered hillside, that eventually led to a low-rib/ridge (I think I was now over/above the saddle at this point and inside the wilderness boundary) around 4150'. It had begun lightly raining by this time. I continued following this rib, occasionally dropping to the west/left-hand side on the game trails, until I reached the first of three rocky clearings at around 4500'. I preceded on up through these clearings (some minimal scrambling required) and reached the ridgeline around 4900'. I encountered the first snow of the hike along the ridgeline, and it was only a few deep patches. I'd brought crampons, iceaxe, snowshoes and poles, but only ended up using the poles. The last 1/8 miles was weaving between the beautiful bright green pines northward to the summit.
I arrived at the summit around 1240. The winds picked up quite a bit (it was briefly snowing), but then the sun came out (rain shadow woohoo!) while I ate lunch and I was able to snap a couple photos while drying out a bit. Most of the surrounding peaks had their heads in the clouds, but Mt. Zion was visible, and most of Blue Mtn to the NW was visible (with some awesome cloud blowing effects.
Mt Zion to the east
Mt Zion to the east
Mt Zion
2 labels
Mt Zion
west to Blue Mtn
west to Blue Mtn
Cool cloud effects from the wind passing over the east ridge of Blue Mtn and shearing the clouds on the north side!
Cool cloud effects from the wind passing over the east ridge of Blue Mtn and shearing the clouds on the north side!
Mt Townsend & Dirty Face Ridge in the clouds
Mt Townsend & Dirty Face Ridge in the clouds
"The Castle" in the clouds, Tyler Peak in the clouds on the right
"The Castle" in the clouds, Tyler Peak in the clouds on the right
Tyler Peak in the clouds
Tyler Peak in the clouds
the Strait under the clouds
the Strait under the clouds
I left around 1320 and was back to my vehicle by 1525. I took my time on the way down to scribble down a few GPS waypoints from my route up, I think it would be possible to come down about 20 minutes less time fairly easily.
Heading back down
Heading back down
back through the forested slopes
back through the forested slopes
mostly looked like this until the dark thicket at the bottom, below the saddle
mostly looked like this until the dark thicket at the bottom, below the saddle
checked out the Louella cabin on the way out.
checked out the Louella cabin on the way out.
approximate path taken (dotted lines where I am not entirely sure where I was :-) )
2 labels
approximate path taken (dotted lines where I am not entirely sure where I was :-) )

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSat Apr 22, 2017 7:16 pm 
You must be reading my mind. I was just wondering about conditions over there. Look at those snow free slopes!

reststep

reststep
PostSat Apr 22, 2017 7:55 pm 
Thanks for the report. I am going to have to give that one a try one of these days

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Phil

Phil
PostSat Apr 22, 2017 11:46 pm 
Thanks for the report. Looks like Baldy and Tyler still snowy probably