Forum Index > Trip Reports > Baldy (Umtanum) - 4/23/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Apr 23, 2017 7:43 pm 
Inspired by RichP's trip report from February, I decided to mix things up and do an eastside hike in an attempt to escape the rain that was falling pretty much everywhere else. We parked at the Big Pines Recreation Area, where an event of some kind was taking place. Umtanum Ridge across the river was absolutely loaded with hikers and trail runners. A race? The snow on Baldy is long-gone and wildflowers were blooming. I haven't been out without skis since last October, so it felt a little weird. It was overcast but clear with a light breeze. Perfect temperature for hiking. There were a few other hikers on the mountain but overall it was a quiet trip. Just as we got back to the car we started feeling rain drops. Perfect timing.
I failed to climb to the true summit.
I failed to climb to the true summit.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Apr 23, 2017 7:56 pm 
Thanks for the TR. We are heading east tomorrow and may end up there, because we're not going to stop driving until we see the sun. rant.gif

RichP

RichP
PostSun Apr 23, 2017 9:31 pm 
A big weekend for trail runners over there. A 50k yesterday and a 25k today. http://www.rainshadowrunning.com/yakima-skyline-25k.html

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 9:59 am 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Umtanum Ridge across the river was absolutely loaded with hikers and trail runners. A race?
What RichP said. Both races started and finished at the Umtanum State Recreation Area (actually on private land next to the rec. area). What you saw across from Big Pine was an aid station for the 50 km race on Saturday, which continued on south to Buffalo Road at the halfway point before returning again via the same route. The 25 km turnaround was at that aid station visible across the river. We rafted water and supplies over on Friday from Big Pine. There are far fewer flowers in bloom on Umtanum Ridge than at the same time last year. It was a rough winter and has been a cold, wet spring. In four trips to the south end of Old Durr Road, this is the wettest I've seen it for late April. A splendid area, wide-open and unlike anything we have on the Wet Side!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 12:52 pm 
PS a woman got snake bit there last week, saw the snake bite her, went to the hospital in Ellenburg and they gave her a band-aid and an aspirin and sent her home. They somehow determined that it was NOT a rattlesnake bite so they didn't treat her. Long story short she wound up being airlifted to Harborview and almost died. Sooooo....the snakes are out, Umptanum is way snakey, and if you get bit go the the hospital in Yakima or drive yourself to Harborview and save the flight.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 1:17 pm 
kbatku wrote:
PS a woman got snake bit there last week, saw the snake bite her,
Thanks for the heads up. So do you have more information on where the snake bite occurred? Was it on Umtanum ridge near Baldy or across the river and up Umtanum Creek? Would love to hear the backstory on how it happened if that's available. I've been out that way twice this month already. ~z

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:06 pm 
The snakes are usually down by the creek. The woman was a friend of a friend - I'll see if I can come up with any more details. frown.gif Nevermind. My wife, pressed for details, said " it might have happened several years ago". Which makes sense because it's still too cold for them to be out much in my experience.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:16 pm 
I've only had two rattlesnake encounters, and sure enough one of them was along Umtanum Creek a few years ago.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:17 pm 
kbatku wrote:
Which makes sense because it's still too cold for them to be out much in my experience.
Still a good reminder that they will be out soon.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:17 pm 
There and Oak Creek on White Pass are two of the surest places to enjoy the company of rattlesnakes.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:35 pm 
early flowers were out on Yakima Rim Skyline out of Selah on Saturday, but no lupine or balsamroot yet

Chico

Chico
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 5:51 pm 
kbatku wrote:
There and Oak Creek on White Pass are two of the surest places to enjoy the company of rattlesnakes.
Just remember that the babies also pack a wallop! Do not unwittingly step on their tails while you lift your pant leg to tie your boot.

hikerbiker

hikerbiker
PostTue Apr 25, 2017 4:45 am 
South side of Cleman Mt is currently covered with balsamroot; lupine to follow. Spring is finally here!

gb

gb
PostTue Apr 25, 2017 7:25 am 
The flowers are yet the very early flowers and are better lower than higher. They are ...... not surprisingly 2-3 weeks late.

Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostTue Apr 25, 2017 7:47 am 
kbatku wrote:
Don't forget waterworks and bear canyon. People usually freak out when I show them one of the snake dens up waterworks.

Have I offended you today?