Forum Index > Trip Reports > Roads in the Mt Baker Area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
brewermd

brewermd
PostSun Apr 23, 2017 8:13 pm 
I went out and did work today with the group of volunteers that keep the forest service roads open up in the Baker area. Today we completely opened the road to the Church Mnt trailhead removing all downed trees and clearing the roadbed. Next Sunday we are working on the road to Skyline Divide if you want to come help. The meet is at the Glacier ranger station at 9 am. Afterwards I drove up a few roads, here are the details. Twin Lakes road is clear and snow free until the Keep Kool Trail. Hannagen Pass road is clear to about 1 mi from the Hannagen Pass trail. That means that Goat Mnt trail is accessible. I predict that Hannagen will be accessible to the trail in the next week or so. Just need some truck bigger than mine to push through first. The tree across the entrance to Welcome pass has been cut. Hike on.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lutzman

Lutzman
PostSun Apr 23, 2017 9:41 pm 
Thanks for the update

"Don't trust anyone who tells you it's all been done. They're either an outright poseur, or you're being sandbagged."
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Apr 23, 2017 9:48 pm 
Thanks from Wisconsin. We're usually in the area for a couple of weeks in August. Any insight on the Canyon Cr. Rd.? As we left last year it sounded like it could be a while before it opens.

Off trail rambler
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostSun Apr 23, 2017 9:51 pm 
Thank you for your work. Any word on the Shannon Creek road to Shuksan TH.?

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
brewermd

brewermd
PostSun Apr 23, 2017 10:15 pm 
Here is an update from April 16. My new info today replaces the older data on those specific roads. Information here is as of 16 April. 31 Road (Canyon Creek) _ passable to MP 5.70 and the closure barricade. The running surface is cleared but there's still debris in places on the shoulders. 3120 Road (West Church) _ gate opened April 15. Road is blocked from MP 0.00 by numerous downed trees. Firewood cutters may be working. 3040 Road (East Church Mountain) _ passable and debris cleared to MP 0.80. Deadfall debris starts at MP 0.85 and road is blocked at about MP 1.30 by numerous downed trees. 3040 Road beyond MP 0.85 is NOT RECOMMENDED for low clearance vehicles. Church Mountain Trailhead is at MP 2.69. 3060 Road (Welcome Pass) _ road is blocked MP 0.00 at SR 542 by downed snag. Road is snow-free above for an unknown distance. Welcome Pass Trailhead is at MP 0.77. 3065 Road (Twin Lakes) _ the snow berm is melted out at MP 0.00, Road is snow-free for an unknown distance. Gold Run Pass (Tomyhoi) Trailhead is at MP 4.39. 32 Road (Hannegan Pass) _ the snow berm is breached at MP 0.04 by 4x4s. Road has patchy snow from there. Goat Mountain Trailhead is at MP 2.46 and Hannegan Pass Trailhead at MP 5.30. 34 Road (North Fork Nooksack) _ status unknown. 3070 Road (Razorhone) _ snow-covered (about 1 foot remnant pack) at MP 0.10. Gate is closed until May 1 at sno-park. Parking area is bare. 3071 Road (Anderson Creek) _ snow-berm at MP 0.00 nearing melt out. Gate is closed until May 1. 33 Road (Wells Creek) _ snow-free and open to gate at MP 0.06, some debris on road and is snow-free above the gate for an unknown distance. Nooksack Falls parking area is snow-free. 33 Road is damaged at MPs 4.00, 5.20 and 6.20. 3310 Road (Pinus Lake) _ status unknown. 37 Road (Deadhorse Creek) _ cleared of debris and open to MP 0.38, Heavy slash on running surface begins and gets progressively worse with overhead clearance hazards out to MP 4.69 where it is blocked by numerous downed trees. Bridge Camp is open and being used, 37 Road beyond it is NOT RECOMMENDED for low clearance vehicles. Skyline Divide Trailhead is at MP 12.58. 37-031 Road (Excelsior Mine) _ status unknown. presumed snow-covered. 37-033 Road (Dry Horse Pit) _ status unknown, presumed snow-covered. 39 Road (Glacier Creek) _ cleared of debris to MP 2.90 and from there is passable, with wood and rock debris in places, to all vehicle to blocking snow at MP 5.20. Heliotrope Ridge Trailhead is at MP 8.20. 3910 Road (Thompson Creek) _ snow-free and passable through 1-Mile inholdings to MP 1.89 and blocking trees. Mountain bikers have 'keyholed' downed trees. 3940 Road (Smith Basin) _ gate is closed at MP 0.01. Wood bridges over Falls and Glacier creeks are not safe for motor vehicles. 36 Road (Grouse Butte) _ snow-covered, no condition report. Road goes to 'closed to motor vehicle entry' status May 1. 38 Road (Middle Fork Nooksack) _ passable to MP 4.85 and moderate blocking ravel rock debris at 'Boulder Alley.' CFFR has offered to clear the rockfall and open the road at that point and begin spring log-out.

brewermd

brewermd
PostSun Apr 23, 2017 10:18 pm 
If this is the trail at the very end of Baker Lake Rd, then I believe you can drive the entire way. I have students who told me they hiked in from the north end of the lake last week so the road must be open.

brewermd

brewermd
PostSun Apr 23, 2017 10:20 pm 
PaleoCook

PaleoCook
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 7:10 am 
@brewermd That's so awesome that you're out there working on those roads. I was just chatting yesterday while driving up FR23 to Crystal Lake that I should get a chainsaw and learn how to use it if I'm going to keep driving on these roads. I found this link to be very helpful: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5126323 Up to date road conditions for several areas. Surely these roads are kept in such awesome condition from volunteers like yourself =).

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 5:21 pm 
Thanks! Great work, and great info!

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 8:21 pm 
I think dicey's question pertains to the Shannon Ridge Road, FS1152, which departs the main Baker Lake Road FS11 directly opposite the entrance to Shannon Creek Campground. The trail to up-lake reaches of Baker River is at the terminus of Baker Lake Road, which is open now. Without seeing any published reports ( other than status "unknown"), it is likely the FS 1152 is still snowbound above about 2000' ( wild guess in this late snow-melt year), since most of that road is in thick forest.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still