Forum Index > Trail Talk > Oh, those PCT girls!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 12:17 pm 
Hannah's testimonial reminded me of this: "We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 12:24 pm 
Congratulations. Not only on hiking 2400+ , but also knowing when to quit. Hannah's plan of missing the Sieras and coming back was definitely the winning strategy this year. Meet many hikers who bogged down in the Sieras who then ran into every fire closure in Oregon and Washington head on. Lots of them will finish more in the 1500 mile range. The logistics of coming back in 2018 to finish are daunting as the missing miles are all over the map. This year was commonly being referred to as the year of fire and ice. I think it can also be called the year of the long ass section hiker.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 12:58 pm 
Hiker Mama wrote:
I loved reading their final thoughts. up.gif
Exactly! It was all good, but I especially liked this part. Everything she (Hannah) said in those last paragraphs was inspiring
wildernessed wrote:
I hiked to see the beauty, hiked to be outside everyday, hiked just to exist. I was so small and insignificant to Mother Nature and it was wonderful to marvel and know that I was nothing. Long before I was here and long after the mountains and flowers, lakes, steams, sunnny days, and rain would go on. It filled me with gratitude to be alive, the walk, to experience life so simple and wonderful. I lived so presently that when we decided to call our hike early, i didn't even realize what was left. I never idealized the end. I lived in the moment and that was huge for me. During my athletic career I kept my dreams so near- visualizing the race, the win, the glory constantly. But on this hike I took in what was around me, enjoying what was in front of me bc I would never be the same person, standing in this same place ever again. When I stopped I didn't have something I worked so hard for ripped from my grasp, my view just changed.
Man, wildernessed she's really someone to be proud of. So much wisdom and compassion at an early age. Thanks for sharing this with us. This is powerful stuff. ~z

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 1:34 pm 
Whoa! What an ending. The JMT is famous and, as I understand, some of the best of the PCT but the experience may be anticlimactic after this adventure. What strong girls. up.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 9:12 pm 
This is probably among the most enjoyable threads on this site, ever. up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert