Forum Index > Trail Talk > Oh, those PCT girls!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
drm

drm
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I encountered a couple of solo female hikers on the stretch that runs past Glacier Peak.
The more remote sections are not the greater risk. The sections where you are near roads and lots of non thru-hikers are on the trail, is the greater risk. Staying in groups is safer but sometimes you want to go at a different pace, want some privacy, or maybe get tired of the habits of the people you've been hiking with (or they get tired of yours). Women traveling solo face risks in the city, on campus, and maybe even on the trail. Probably less on the trail, but you can't call 911.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 11:43 am 
Well that sucks. I was just talking to a guy the other day that did the PCT recently and he mentioned there being some weird people where the trail passes by or close to small towns.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 12:47 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
My daughter is a technical climber and likes to travel vertical rather than horizontal. But she has a similar profile, holding an advanced degree in the hard sciences and currently working as a researcher. And she has been involved with the "Girls On Ice" program since she went through it when she was 14. In fact she is going out with them this summer to teach mountaineering skills.
Wow. Both you two (HTT and Wildernessed) and the other gal's folks (Chelan) have done a wonderful job of raising strong women with great outdoor skills. It's inspiring to hear of this. Makes me hopeful for the future. ~z

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:06 pm 
Pack pepper spray. And have it handy. So when they come a knocking at night, after a few warnings, let em have it!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:33 pm 
The phone app with the lock and load sound?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
trestle

trestle
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:37 pm 
But then what? I guess you could always throw the phone at them. I hope the girls succeed with their PCT journey and can avoid the pervos. Great story, thanks for sharing. HTT, can you tell me more about the "Girls on Ice" program? Thanks.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:11 pm 
trestle wrote:
HTT, can you tell me more about the "Girls on Ice" program?
When my daughter did it the name was "Girls on ice", now it is called "Inspiring Girls Expeditions". The main website is Inspiring Girls Expeditions . Current info and past history can be found on that website. It also looks like they have branched out to different locations. My daughter did it up on the Cascade Glacier in the North Cascades. Now the Cascades one is being conducted up on Mt Baker. That is the one my daughter will be helping instruct this summer. But I had it wrong, she will be teaching mainly Ecology as well as some mountaineering skills. And BTW, the week she spent up there changed her life forever. Trust me.

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:21 pm 
Good luck! Have fun! Enjoy the GOOD trail magic!! There will be lots! But be careful.

trestle

trestle
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:11 pm 
Thanks HTT, looks like I have to wait a few years but it sounds like an outstanding program.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 7:21 pm 
I think they'll be fine. They look to be strong "girls". Hope the snow starts melting!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 7:31 pm 
Some gals I know like to travel with a couple friends named Smith and Wesson. Never seem to have any problems. hockeygrin.gif

canadug

canadug
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 9:54 pm 
My daughter and I have hiked many many miles through the Sierra Range and all the people we have met over the years we quite friendly. Have a number of female friends who have solo hiked in the Sierra's with no issues. Check out the Facebook page called 'PCT class of 2017.' Very informative and no mention of a slimeball issues.....just people leaving garbage behind on the trail. The biggest crux hikers will face this year is near record snow levels in the Sierra Range and snow still falling in the Oregon mountains.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 10:18 pm 
We have hiked much of the PCT on different thru Section and shorter hikes including all of the High Sierra. We wet many women in pairs and solo and none have mentioned creeps. The thru hikers form a sort of community which takes care of its own. I agree that this year snow and stream crossings could be a problem in CA. I am afraid that many hikers will get a rude surprise especially those who think all of CA is sunny beaches. There have been a number of terrible incidents on the Appalachian Trail which passes near lots of small southeast towns.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed May 03, 2017 5:26 am 
She is on her way now just left for Spokane to fly into San Diego will be on the trail this week. It is a journey going through the gear, meals, logistics but what an opportunity I can't wait to hear about her experiences. smile.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed May 03, 2017 7:42 am 
20 years ago on the summit of Mt. Marcy, Adirondack High Peaks wilderness, NY
Hannah age 6 and Dad on summit of Mt. Marcy, New York
Hannah age 6 and Dad on summit of Mt. Marcy, New York

Living in the Anthropocene