Forum Index > Trail Talk > Oh, those PCT girls!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed May 31, 2017 5:35 pm 
caught up reading this thread ... good luck, young ladies! take care and keep yourselves safe. will Hannah catch up with Chelan? i'm surprised that C decided to continue while H was getting treatment. together in, together thru, together out! sending awesome karma their way!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed May 31, 2017 6:32 pm 
👍 Hannah caught up and they are over 400 miles in now I see there are some storms moving through the area. They are hiking beasts.

Living in the Anthropocene
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed May 31, 2017 7:15 pm 
thank you! i can sleep better knowing they are together! hee hee hiking beasts up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed May 31, 2017 7:24 pm 
bobbi wrote:
i can sleep better knowing they are together!
Agree. Armchairing this thing is kinda tough. I didn't like that they split up. But what can you do. They're beasts on the move. wink.gif ~z

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jun 04, 2017 6:50 am 
Prancing on the PCT a blog on their adventures and progress.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 04, 2017 7:24 am 
Keep up the good work ladies. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jun 04, 2017 12:52 pm 
Thanks for the link to their blog! I'll have to try to catch up on their journey so far.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 9:19 am 
Yesterday they were 566 miles in and had just completed a 29, then 30.5 mile day in the heat. It looks like Hannah may jump after arriving at Sequoia - Kings canyon over to the Grand Canyon and do a trip there before coming back and probably going around the Sierras while her partner may try to backpack through the Sierras. Her videos are hilarious, she is loving the experience, and her UL gear, her Zpacks Solplex took some 40 mph winds and held steady, she is proud of her pitching abilities, the people along the trail have been colorful and fantastic and the trail angels incredible.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 12:55 pm 
If you're communicating with them, pass along this: I hiked in the very high snow year of 2006, so I have some perspective. I left KM on June 14 and went straight through to VVR in 12 days. Those who have tried going in before now are, IMO, fools that didn't bother to learn the lessons from past high snow years. shakehead.gif If they're at 556, they have a bit to go to get to KM. Tell them to SLOW DOWN. Stop doing those high 20's days....slow down to mid to low 20's, should buy another day or two. Zero in place for a couple of days. Then, when they get to Walker Pass, take a couple of zero's in Lk Isabella. Send an extra food package to KM and have them take a few zero's there munching on the extra food, before heading in. That should push things to past the 20th of June. At this time of the year, the melt is proceeding extremely fast - days make noticeable differences. Peak water flows should be hitting soon and then start to subside. Days make a difference. They can cut out via Kearsarge Pass for supplies, which will buy them another few days of melt. Most of the rough creek crossings are north of the trail out of Kearsarge.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 1:11 pm 
did I read the post that the girls are splitting again? what the heck?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jun 10, 2017 10:53 am 
Looks like they will be getting some zero days now a large number of thruhikers appear (including Hannah and Chelan) to have gotten the Norovirus. eck.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jun 10, 2017 12:29 pm 
Do you think a trail angel might have been the source of infection? I have kind of wondered about that--plus many unwashed hands pawing through coolers of goodies.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Jun 10, 2017 2:52 pm 
Norovirus is incredibly, highly contagious. It spreads like wildfire. All it takes is one person to start a widespread contagion. It's also contagious for a while before you start feeling sick and after you start feeling better. Since it's a virus, Purell has little effect. Only lots and lots of soap and water. Something in short supply on a thru hike.

reststep

reststep
PostSat Jun 10, 2017 4:18 pm 
Hope they are feeling better soon.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 9:27 am 
They were hiking again yesterday and picked up 19 miles. The Sierra got a foot of new snow overnight. My wife is in the PCT 2017 closed group on Fb. Several more experienced hikers and mountaineers made it up to Whitney and over Forester Pass but said the snow and stream conditions were too intensive and hazardous so they came out and are going around and coming back when conditions are more favorable.