Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Another way of getting there.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 9:43 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:38 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
I will once again say that the majority of wilderness is high elevation and has crappy timber.
If that is true -- then why do loggers still complain so bitterly over the lost jobs resulting from timber being "locked up" within wilderness boundaries?
Well, they can't exactly blame the timber company executives who decided that cutting down all the trees way faster than they could be re-grown then selling the land to developers was the best choice for their quarterly bonuses now can they?

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 8:10 am 
Depending on your perspective, this is a cool ascent, but I don't see how it's any kind of "record ascent of Mt. St. Helens". Marble Mountain to the summit is almost 5700 feet and starts in the trees. Climber's Bivouac, to which the road is closed, starts 1000 feet higher, but also starts in the trees. So he must have hiked or snowshoed a long way before he started the kite ascent. Claiming this as a record is silly.

If not now, when?
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 8:29 am 
That's pretty cool that you were able to embed the video Schroder. Obviously you found a version with the Share button. Thanks. ~z

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 9:29 am 
Quote:
So he must have hiked or snowshoed a long way before he started the kite ascent.
Ya, he pretty clearly starts at a point just above treeline, claiming he climbed just over 3000 feet with his kite. That places his departure point at about 5,000 feet. From my understanding he also went up the east slopes(so the wind would be be at his back that day)... not the main routes. So theres certainly quite a bit of approach involved beforehand. Probably on snowmobiles, judging from the start of the video. Still thats wicked awesome!

nordique

nordique
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 7:56 pm 
Great story! He next plans to kite-snowboard Mt Adams and Mt Rainier! What a great level of skill and expertise--and daring! I look forward to reading about his next summits!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 8:27 pm 
nordique wrote:
He next plans to kite-snowboard Mt Adams and Mt Rainier!
Mt Adams would involve a lot of travel within USFS wilderness, unless he plans on ascending within the Yakima Reservation, which seems more improbable, both physically and in terms of permission from the tribe.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Apr 30, 2017 3:05 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
Depending on your perspective, this is a cool ascent, but I don't see how it's any kind of "record ascent of Mt. St. Helens".
This. As I stated on another forum, this is like winning a marathon by riding a bicycle. It doesn't count for anything.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostSun Apr 30, 2017 5:00 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
cascadeclimber wrote:
Depending on your perspective, this is a cool ascent, but I don't see how it's any kind of "record ascent of Mt. St. Helens".
This. As I stated on another forum, this is like winning a marathon by riding a bicycle. It doesn't count for anything.
Yes. And starting at Mile 8 and ending at Mile 25 (unless I'm mistaken and the ascent, which clearly started well above the trailhead, somehow ended on the actual summit). Otherwise we're suddenly keeping records for people who ride snowmobiles to the crater on Baker and the jog up the Roman Wall to the summit plateau...without actually going to the summit. Again, neat achievement that took years of skill-building and waiting for the right weather and snow conditions, but presenting it as any sort of 'record' just takes away from what it really is.

If not now, when?
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Apr 30, 2017 5:51 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
but presenting it as any sort of 'record' just takes away from what it really is.
I think you misunderstand what the guy is going for... Which my guess is an "extreme" red bull contract or something along those lines. Only a tiny fraction of the US population understand what a FKT is and those that understand things like FKT aren't big consumers of "extreme" products like red bull.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Apr 30, 2017 6:42 pm 
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 01, 2017 7:58 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
I will once again say that the majority of wilderness is high elevation and has crappy timber.
If that is true -- then why do loggers still complain so bitterly over the lost jobs resulting from timber being "locked up" within wilderness boundaries?
Because of the low elevation timber included in so many of the boundaries.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon May 01, 2017 10:40 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Because of the low elevation timber included in so many of the boundaries.
Now that this thread has been irreparably derailed, could a Moderator please move it to Stewardship where it now belongs? Thanks. Peace. Out. huh.gif