Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Another way of getting there.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 3:19 pm 
... MOUNT ST. HELENS, Wash. – A Hood River man accomplished his 10-year mission to summit Mount St. Helens on a kite board. Fun stuff. It's amazing what people dream up these days. I didn't realize that kite boarding was a thing. Kind of like kitesurfing. At least he didn't sail into the crater. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 3:33 pm 
There's all kinds of ways to stop. you turn the kite the correct direction to spill air, dump lift by releasing the lines, and of course you're riding the board and can steer it anyway.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 3:58 pm 
That is seriously awesome. ~1000 feet up every 10 minutes. I'm a little jealous.

trestle

trestle
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:07 pm 
Very cool.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 6:04 pm 
Heh... That Aaron sails.... rolleyes.gif Pretty cool.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 1:43 am 
Non motorized is ok by me, and not much danger of scores of imitators -- that looks hard.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 10:33 am 
Kite skiing was banned in an Oregon wilderness area. I'm thinking it was whichever area is west of Bend. I did find this but am looking for "official" info. No fun

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 10:45 am 
This is super bad ass and I want to try but I would prolly end up with my kite in a tree or like you mentioned sailing over the crest of ridges and never stopping.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:08 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Kite skiing was banned in an Oregon wilderness area. I'm thinking it was whichever area is west of Bend. I did find this but am looking for "official" info. No fun
The best way to deal with this, and a myriad of other "protections" is to ban lawyers! Or at least 98% of 'em. This country has gone batshit nuts because of the lawyers making all manner of rules so they can protect us from us, then keep themselves "busy".

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:33 am 
I would do that.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 3:43 pm 
I know of a guy who climbed Mt Baker with a rifle, and another guy who climbed it with just a sleeping bag.

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 5:26 pm 
Kiting, hangliding, etc are legal on St Helens. It's not a Wilderness Area and that activity was approved years ago. They just can't go into the crater.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 5:40 pm 
moonspots wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
The best way to deal with this, and a myriad of other "protections" is to ban lawyers! Or at least 98% of 'em. This country has gone batshit nuts because of the lawyers making all manner of rules so they can protect us from us, then keep themselves "busy".
Banning Kite boarding/skiing within Wilderness Boundaries is consistent with the ban on sail driven watercraft within other wilderness areas. It is also consistent with the ban on launching or landing any sort of aircraft (including parasails) and airdrop resupply. http://www.bwca.cc/tripplanning/rules.htm
Quote:
MECHANIZED TRAVEL NOT ALLOWED In addition to the BWCA being motor-free, mechanized transportation is not allowed. This includes sail boats, sail boards, paddleboats, pontoon boats, bicycles, wheeled carts, and portage dollies. Mechanical assistance is only permitted over the following: International Boundary, Four-Mile Portage, Vermilion-Trout Lake Portage, Fall-Newton-Pipestone Bay Portages into Basswood Lake, and Prairie Portage.
Without the hard work of "batshit nuts" Conservationists like David Brower and Howard Zahniser we wouldn't have the Wilderness Act and we would have far fewer hiking trails and a lot more logging and mining roads, clear cuts, mine spoils and other wonderful things instead of wild lands.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 7:34 pm 
Now don't get all dramatic. I will once again say that the majority of wilderness is high elevation and has crappy timber. There's a reason why it wasn't cut prior to wilderness. Economics saved the wilderness areas from evil people cutting trees because other evil people use wood products. eek.gif But, if we cut down the trees, it would make better kiting, right? lol.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 7:40 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I will once again say that the majority of wilderness is high elevation and has crappy timber.
If that is true -- then why do loggers still complain so bitterly over the lost jobs resulting from timber being "locked up" within wilderness boundaries?