Forum Index > Partners > Camp Muir, 10 June 2017. Looking for partners for a day hike
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rommelsharma

rommelsharma
PostTue May 02, 2017 12:10 am 
Hi Everyone, Planning for a day hike to Camp Muir and back on 9th or 10th June 2017 (a single day trip only). I am looking for partner(s) so that we can hike together either using the services of a trekking company that lowers the cost as well or if you are confident of climbing and guiding that would be great and I can join (either on 9th or on 10th June). --- adding more info about me as requested for in the thread below --- My hiking experience has mostly been restricted to non-snowy mountains. I have trekked in the mountain belt of the following cities in India - Ooty (10 k mountain run last year), Sikkim (Yumthang valley trek), Kashmir (snow clad at an area called Gulmarg) India. Elevation has been from 8000 to 12000 feet for trek although visited (not via trekking regions at 14000 altitude, not counting them for treks experience though but only for snow clad region experience). My friend accompanying me has a better trekking experience and also has ridden bikes to quite some mountainous regions. We both are men around 40 years old and this info is only for greater acquaintance about who you will be traveling with and as requested for. Photography, traveling and reading are my hobbies. Some of my travels are documented here: http://500px.com/rommelsharma Feel free to ask me anything that would help in partnering with me and a friend of mine to go for day hike to Camp Muir.

Thank you, Rommel
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 02, 2017 9:22 am 
Be careful about planning to head to Camp Muir on a specific day. A couple of years ago my wife was training for Mt Adams with Team Survivor Northwest and the the Camp Muir hike was planned for a Saturday in late June. Except that the forecast for that day called for 50mph+ winds and rain. Half the team, choose to go anyway, but wisely turned after reaching Panorama Point in horizontal rain. A smaller group rescheduled for the next day and enjoyed near perfect conditions -- unusually calm -- enough to take a nap on the helipad at Camp Muir in the sun and no wind. So if you must go on a specific day, be willing to turn back if conditions are poor. The Muir snowfield is deadly in bad weather.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed May 03, 2017 6:51 am 
rommelsharma wrote:
Planning for a day hike to Camp Muir and back on 9 June 2017 (a single day trip only)....I am looking for partner(s) so that we can hike together either using the services of a trekking company ...
I'll be there in June, and have hiked to Camp Muir several times. However, as Randy said, don't automatically count on it, especially in June. I'll keep this post in mind, and if the weather looks favorable for those two dates, and if my schedule allows it, I'll contact you and we'll go from there. If I go, I'll have my grandsons, and maybe even my son will come along (he doesn't like snow much). However, I am not a "guide". I am not qualified to do so. It's just that I've just been up there a few times over the past several years, and know the way (in clear weather). In bad weather, or if it's even slightly likely to be bad, I won't go, even with a map, compass and GPS. And if the weather takes a turn from good to "iffy", I turn back. I've done that a few times also, the mountain will still be there the next time I want to go. :-) Do your research to see what the "10 essentials" are (especially clothing) and compare that to what you have and what you need to acquire. If you do not already have all that you need, it'll be an expensive shopping trip in Portland, Olympia, Tacoma or Seattle, etc. depending on where you're located. Get your legs ready for a workout, hike hills and/or stairs for hours at a time where you are. Both uphill and down. Especially down, that's what typically wears me out. A good idea for you would be to go back through various trip reports for May/June/July, etc in past years to get a feel for what the weather on that mountain *can* be. Sometimes it's a beautiful day, other times it's a cold hurricane. People have died in August blizzards. And, here is a website that you may want to watch to get an idea of how the weather is shaping up. It's current conditions, not so much a long term forecast, but it gives you an idea of what's possible: https://www.atmos.washington.edu/data/rainier_report.html For example currently, it's expected to be 65F at Longmire with nary a breeze, and up at Camp Muir it's forecast to be 35F with 15mph winds, and that's cold, especially if you're out in it for a while. And it is a good hike. On a good day the views are great, and the leg/cardio workout is as well! The first time I went up there I said after getting back to the car "I'll never do that again".....but, don't ever say never though. I've been back, time and again, and I'll go again. And again...

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu May 04, 2017 11:53 am 
+1 to comments by Randy and moonspots. A day hike or ski to and from Muir in June on a good day is a great scenic workout if you don't mind the crowds/conga line. But on a bad (bad viz or bad weather) it can be serious sh##. Are there guided day hikes to and from Muir on a Friday in June? On a June Friday with good weather there will be lots of people on that route and a trough will develop at the choke points (e.g., below Pan Point). Whatever you do, take a map and compass and be SURE to stay on route on the descent. Stop and occasionally take a bearing. In bad viz it's way too easy to get on the wrong fall line on the descent and get down into no man's land. People have died doing that.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu May 04, 2017 9:02 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Whatever you do, take a map and compass and be SURE to stay on route on the descent.
up.gif Stop at the ranger hut and get the sheet the park hands out giving pertinent points and compass bearings, important for reference on descent in low vis. An acquaintance of mine at work perished in just this situation, along with his nephew. Not to be taken lightly.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu May 04, 2017 9:54 pm 
The great news is that no matter the weather, there is great outdoor stuff to do in the Park!

rommelsharma

rommelsharma
PostWed May 10, 2017 5:51 am 
Thank you @RandyHiker @moonspots @DIYSteve @williswall @Bernardo. The tips are great. I will sure check the weather and be ready to turn back if weather starts becoming rough. @moonspots the link on weather updates is really useful, thanks! https://www.atmos.washington.edu/data/rainier_report.html I look forward to hearing from you on your availability (and additional members who are likely to join) as that will be great. I will also go through the trip reports: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=3 A few basic questions: 1. What permits or passes I need to take before going up to Camp Muir, can I do that online? 2. Nearest accommodation for stay a night before so that I can start early? 3. Any recommended travel gear rental company in Seattle? It would be great if anyone else would like to join. Right now it is me and a colleague of mine. Thank you once again.

Thank you, Rommel
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 10, 2017 6:23 am 
No permit beyond your park entrance fee is needed for a day trip to Camp Muir. The visitor center at Paradise has an very useful map that you should stop by and get and ask the ranger/volunteer about current conditions. Nearest accomidation is the National Park inn at Paradise. https://reservations.mtrainierguestservices.com/V1WebControlsPI/Custom/ResvRooms.aspx There is also one at Longmire. Rustic and spendy. There are a bunch of places along the road between Ashford and the park entrance all somewhat overpriced and a bit funky. Cougar Rock Campground is another option. https://www.recreation.gov/camping/cougar-rock-campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70946

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostWed May 10, 2017 7:29 pm 
rommelsharma wrote:
Planning for a day hike to Camp Muir
Hello! I think it would be helpful to give little more info about yourself, it will increase your chances for getting someone to hike with. Not many people will be wiling to go in to the mountains with someone that they don't even know if its a man or a woman... or what the highest elevation you been to? not many flatlanders can handle 10 K elevation right of the plane. Do you hike a lot? Do you hike on show? I can think of few more questions... Good Luck with your adventures!

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
rommelsharma

rommelsharma
PostWed May 10, 2017 11:27 pm 
Thanks @RandyHiker. Very useful information, I will make stay arrangements here. Thanks @SergioNapelo - I have updated my original post with my introduction.

Thank you, Rommel
rommelsharma

rommelsharma
PostThu May 11, 2017 11:22 pm 
@Bootpathguy My answer and motivation is quite simple and nicely described here: Camp Muir represents a dividing line: this is as high as you can go on Mount Rainier without a climbing permit. From here, you get a close-up view that few visitors to the park ever see: hanging glaciers, towering seracs, yawning crevasses, and thundering rockfall as the ridges of ash and breccia high above melt and crumble in the heat of the sun. My expectation is a physically challenging and satisfying hike and a great experience to build on a snowy trail. (Please fee free to share any experience/advice, we are going through various trip details and advice on fitness etc)

Thank you, Rommel
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 12, 2017 7:45 am 
A few more things you should be aware of: The entire route will be snow covered. Melt out at Paradise is usually early July, but this year will be later. You'll want waterproof shoes of some sort. "Trail Runners" with a waterproof membrane are one lightweight option. Gaiters of some sort to keep snow out of boots or shoes. Some sort of supplemental traction device such as YakTrax or Microspikes is desirable, particularly for the steep section getting over Panorama point. A pair of ski poles or trekking poles are useful as well. Also be aware that the combination of snow, long days in June, above timberline travel results in very intense UV and visible light exposure. Severe sunburns are a common injury, blistered skin is possible. Its happened to me when I was young and stupid. I use long sleeved shirts, long pants, a hat with brim and a bandana (thin cloth rag) and gloves to minimize sun exposure now. As well as 50 or more SPF sunscreen on exposed skin. Because of the reflection off the snow, unexpected places can get sunburned as well. Like the bottoms of ears, etc. Very dark sunglasses are highly desirable. 100% UVA/UVB of course, but also very limited visible light transmission. Dark enough sunglasses for snow travel usually have a warning label against wesring while driving. I usually craft a nose shield as well. REI sells sunglasses of the required darkness and premade nose sheilds. Plan on consuming at least 3-4 liters of water during the trek. Streams will be snow covered, but eating snow or gathering snow and adding it to your wide mouth water bottle ca supplement your supply.

reststep

reststep
PostFri May 12, 2017 10:41 am 
Here is a link to a park service pdf page about Camp Muir including a map with compass bearings from Paradise to Camp Muir and Camp Muir to Paradise. If you have time there are good close up views of the other side of Mt. Rainier from 3rd Burroughs Mountain hiking out of Sunrise.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
rommelsharma

rommelsharma
PostSat May 13, 2017 10:43 pm 
Thanks @RandyHiker and @reststep. @RandyHiker - The inputs were much needed and we did a bit of shopping based on your advice. For nose shields I could not find them at https://www.rei.com/ but did check out www.whittakermountaineering.com that has nose guard (but not a size chart so wondering which one to order :-) ). Very good tip, I will order for one. We plan to rent the hiking shoes, microspikes and trekking poles. For rentals I am looking at: http://www.wta.org/news/signpost/where-to-rent-or-borrow-gear

Thank you, Rommel
agd23
agd23

agd23
agd23
PostSun May 14, 2017 7:18 pm 
Hi Rommel I am planning to head up Muir with a friend on the 10th (conditions permitting). Looks like you have already got some good advice from this forum around the required equipment. You are welcome to join us but if this is your first hike in the snow - know that this will be a significant challenge. Its almost 4600 feet of elevation gain and its always tougher in the snow. I have done this a couple of times with some of my friends who were still new to hiking and we have turned back mid way since it is an tough hike and sometimes the elevation can get to you - so be prepared to turn back if you arent feeling good at any point during the climb or if conditions get bad (the mountain will always be there). In case you are interested in joining us - you can PM me. Good luck and stay safe! Anil