Forum Index > Trail Talk > Stevens to Rainy Pass PCT advice - specifically getting that NCNP permit
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
asdf

asdf
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 5:03 pm 
Stay the night in or near Stehekin and then single day the last part of the trail out to SR 20? Or try to get a permit in Stehekin, which means you have to kind of arrange that trail day around that process anyway, catching the bus etc? As I understand it, you can't get a permit in advance. For refernece, the bus schedule is: * Stehekin to High Bridge at 8am, 1pm, 4pm * High Bridge to Stehekin at 9am, 2pm, 5pm So if you'd have to make it to the pickup by 2pm, arrive Stehekin at 2:45pm, then turn around the permit in just over 1 hour in order to catch the bus back if you wanted to single day it. Any advice is helpful

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 7:46 pm 
It is an easy 20 miles with a very mild grade. YMMV Having said that I could easily have got a permit in Stehekin, but that was several years ago and there are more people doing the PCT now. My advice is to overnight in Stehekin, take the first shuttle, and do the easy 20 miles. Be aware they do have rangers patyroling and checking permits. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Worthington

Worthington
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 9:25 pm 
It's such an easy 20 that it's actually 17. (5 up the old road bed parallel to the Stehekin River, 12 up the Brtidge Creek drainage to the highway) If you are near the landing in Stehekin, you could also just ride the bus 2 miles (or walk it, or hitch) to just past the bakery, and then take the Rainbow Creek trail up over Mcalester Pass to the same end point on the PCT. A little more walking for sure, but nice!

asdf

asdf
PostTue Jun 28, 2022 10:55 am 
This is interesting:
Quote:
Beginning in 2020, North Cascades National Park will honor the long-distance Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) hiking permit issued by the Pacific Crest Trail Association (PCTA) for camping at specific camps. This is a policy change from previous years. PCTA long-distance permit holders no longer need to obtain an overnight backcountry camping permit for Six Mile Camp and Bridge Creek Camp within North Cascades National Park.
https://www.nps.gov/noca/planyourvisit/permits.htm