Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Dept of Interior begins review of 27 Monuments under Trump exec. Order.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostSat May 06, 2017 3:04 pm 
Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Sat May 06, 2017 3:37 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSun May 21, 2017 10:20 am 
(i) the requirements and original objectives of the Act, including the Act’s requirement that reservations of land not exceed “the smallest area compatible with the proper care and management of the objects to be protected”; In the context of 'smallest', you would have to consider that Teddy Roosevelt used the Act "to protect wildlife and public lands by creating the United States Forest Service (USFS) and establishing 150 national forests, 51 federal bird reserves, 4 national game preserves, 5 national parks, and 18 national monuments by enabling the 1906 American Antiquities Act. During his presidency,Theodore Roosevelt protected approximately 230 million acres of public land." https://www.nps.gov/thro/learn/historyculture/theodore-roosevelt-and-conservation.htm So, absolute size is kinda relative.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
drm

drm
PostMon May 22, 2017 8:11 am 
It seems that TR himself pretty much ignored that list of considerations. And since they are just that: considerations, they are not mandates. It doesn't say that you may not create a monument larger than the minimum needed, just that you should consider what the minimum required is. Saying that they should be considered means that they can be ignored for the right reasons, and that's a huge gray area that many presidents have taken advantage of. Sort of a literal example of give 'em an inch and they can take a mile. I've also read many times that a law adopted in 1976 modified some parts of the Antiquities Act. Without knowing what those are, using the original wording is a bit risky.

trestle

trestle
PostMon May 22, 2017 1:37 pm 
The list of considerations that I linked above was probably written by a member of the current administration and not likely something TR ever considered himself.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
drm

drm
PostMon May 22, 2017 3:04 pm 
trestle wrote:
The list of considerations that I linked above was probably written by a member of the current administration and not likely something TR ever considered himself.
Oh, my mistake. I thought it was a quote from Antiquities Act, but I see you didn't say that. But the part about the size is in the original act (emphasis mine)
Quote:
Sec. 2. That the President of the United States is hereby authorized, in his discretion, to declare by public proclamation historic landmarks, historic and prehistoric structures, and other objects of historic or scientific interest that are situated upon the lands owned or controlled by the Government of the United States to be national monuments, and may reserve as a part thereof parcels of land, the limits of which in all cases shall be confined to the smallest area compatible with proper care and management of the objects to be protected: Provided, That when such objects are situated upon a tract covered by a bona fied unperfected claim or held in private ownership, the tract, or so much thereof as may be necessary for the proper care and management of the object, may be relinquished to the Government, and the Secretary of the Interior is hereby authorized to accept the relinquishment of such tracts in behalf of the Government of the United States.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri May 26, 2017 2:16 pm 
Comment sent: We have recently visited a number of National Monuments in Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico including Bears Ears, Natural Bridges, El Morros, Petroglyph, El Malpais, Bandelier, RioGrande Del Norte, and Canyons of the Ancients. Each of these monuments contain irreplaceable national assets and each is unique in its own way. In Bears Ears we 4x4 drove to canyons containing the dwellings of ancestors lived puebloians. And met Utah residents interested in preserving the monuments. They had spoke with Ute, Pueblo, and Dine people who wanted to preserve their sacred areas. We spoke with rangers who said the monuments would have little effect on fishing and hunting as they are already allowed on nearby monuments. We are currently experiencing an oil glut which can continue without harming these National assets which once destroyed can never replaced. We also visited similar sites which have passed into private hands including Sego Canyon where ancient Petroglyphs are marred with graffiti and bullet holes. National Monument status will help preserve this area especially if proper funding is provided. Local tribes have agreed to help provide this protection to their sacred lands. The entire area is administrated by the BLM or Forest Service so there is no taking of private land.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon May 29, 2017 11:03 am 
Good comment - I sent something similar, including sharing the gist of what locals from the Escalante/Boulder area had told me about their thoughts about how the GSENM has improved the prospects for folks in their area, despite the loss of ability to drive ATVs anywhere at will.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 3:45 pm 
As expected Zinke has recommended that Bears Ears be drastically reduced in size in spite of the vast majority of comments being to keep it as it is. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 10:07 am 
You mean the public input was a façade to hide their intention to do what they'd already wanted to do in the first place? I'm so shocked...

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 10:31 am 
The MFK Snoq tale ...what goes around, comes around.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Jul 08, 2017 9:33 am 
July 10 (this coming Monday) is the deadline for comments.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
gb

gb
PostSat Jul 08, 2017 10:08 am 
The direct link to the government comment page on this issue is here: https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=DOI-2017-0002-0001 I just sent this link with timing (July 10) and info to many, many friends.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Jul 08, 2017 1:30 pm 
Good idea--so did I!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Jul 09, 2017 9:16 pm 
Tomorrow, July 10, 11:58 pm is the deadline! Here's the link to the Stewardship thread

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 9:00 am 
Grannyhiker wrote:
Tomorrow, July 10, 11:58 pm is the deadline! Here's the link to the Stewardship thread
Returned home after an extended vacation, and hit it just under the deadline! Thanks for the reminder.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
drm

drm
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 1:45 pm 
Trump may ignore public comments but a strong response will make it easier for the next president to reverse the reverse and put that land back. And who knows when that will be.