Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Dept of Interior begins review of 27 Monuments under Trump exec. Order.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostSat May 06, 2017 3:04 pm 
Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Sat May 06, 2017 3:37 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed May 17, 2017 9:29 pm 
Hi Trestle, it's not so much local control, no. It's admission that these folks have a right to expect access for their existing uses just as much as the folks with their cultural concerns have a right to expect some protection. And that this is not unreasonable since it is, as I"m often loftily told, public land. Some guarantees laid down to protect that access would go a long ways towards getting compromises made. The people wanting protections expect guarantees in the form of the status been sought. It's just as reasonable to extend access protections to folks justifiably worried they will end up locked out and denied their access and uses. I am not even talking commercial interests. Thanks for the common courtesy of reading my arguments, a civil set of observations and notes, and no ramming words into my gullet.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 18, 2017 9:36 am 
Yeah okay sure fine. I guess the best thing for you to do is just be against all National Monuments, because land use rules change now and then, and always have. Or... .you could put on your big boy pants and realize that rules and regulations get changed sometimes and just live with it like everybody else. Or.... continue holding your breath to prove to the universe how right you are. Actually I don't really give a damn. I'll submit a comment and what you think about it will have absolutely ZERO effect on my opinions. As for the rest of that gas... well... it's just gas, but you do make a good attempt at trying to out-wordsmith George F. Will.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 18, 2017 11:30 am 
You keep returning to the strawman extremities of a position I do not hold and have not articulated, IE no national monuments. It seems like you have no room for the idea that someone can argue for a middle ground. And returning to the derisive comments as well. I know you don't give a damn, you've articulated this kind of disregard before.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 18, 2017 6:33 pm 
What is ihe difference between ISIS blowing up Buddas and the admistration fracking and strip mining in areas sacred to native americans?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
trestle

trestle
PostSat May 20, 2017 11:15 am 
MC, I'll attempt to answer by saying very little, at least in cultural terms. A capitalist would argue that Native Americans have the "option" to incorporate and acquire the land/mineral rights whereas rural Afghanis likely only had an option to join the Taliban or not. A sociologist might argue that the coercion applied by the Taliban and corporate interests are essentially parallel, with obvious contextual differences. Again, very little difference overall when referring to the destruction/desecration of cultural sites.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat May 20, 2017 5:40 pm 
trestle wrote:
Again, very little difference overall when referring to the destruction/desecration of cultural sites.
Got any examples?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
trestle

trestle
PostSat May 20, 2017 6:30 pm 
Maybe these are applicable: Tse-whit-zen, Marmes Rock Shelter, Kettle Falls, and the Dalles.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat May 20, 2017 7:19 pm 
^ well.... you could say the same about Layser Cave just south of Randle, or the petroglyphs that were obliterated by graffiti over on the upper Yakima River between Yakima and Naches, or any number of other archaeological sites anywhere on the continent. I'm not sure you can draw any lines between the Buddha statues the Taliban blew up and the damage done to archaeological sites as a consequence of development or brainless vandalism... the action by the Taliban was a deliberate attempt to erase a culture. I think a more appropriate comparison might be the destruction of the Mayan codexes in the 16th century by Diego de Landa. Just my two cents on that one.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat May 20, 2017 9:08 pm 
Ther are many examples of xtian misionaries cometting cultural genocide. Such as in Hawaii, africa, in the assuat agains sexual minorites, and, of course near extinction of native culture in the US, Canada, and Australia all in the name of god. What thr Spanish started in the SW continued with xian and mormans. It makes little dicference if it is intentional or collateral damage in a quest for oil we do not really need.The oil leads to access which leadd to vandalisim. It is simple as war leads to death.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
trestle

trestle
PostSat May 20, 2017 10:30 pm 
Well Mal, if you feel so strongly, why did you pose the question? wink.gif (to be clear, said with tongue in cheek) Christian missionaries present a further sidebar but you're certainly not wrong. Trying to stay on thread though....Bears Ears (SW) is threatened as much by uranium extraction as oil....and our globe is ever-shrinking. Vandalism. A new topic in the conversation. Is this geologic vandalism, like the toppling of Pompey's Pillar on the Yellowstone a few years back? Industrial/environmental vandalism such as cattle grazing on public lands? Bolts on rock walls in the Wilderness? As for oil...petroleum products are interwoven throughout our society. I'd love to see our vehicles powered by something else as well as our textiles....but it will take a catastrophic change to shift us away from plastics. I have hope for ecologically-sound 3-D printing and the creativity of the generations to come.

trestle

trestle
PostSat May 20, 2017 10:50 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
it's not so much local control, no. It's admission that these folks have a right to expect access for their existing uses just as much as the folks with their cultural concerns have a right to expect some protection. And that this is not unreasonable since it is, as I"m often loftily told, public land. Some guarantees laid down to protect that access would go a long ways towards getting compromises made. The people wanting protections expect guarantees in the form of the status been sought. It's just as reasonable to extend access protections to folks justifiably worried they will end up locked out and denied their access and uses.
I'm not sure if we're the same generation nor if we even vote the same side but I believe we share the same face-palm bewilderment at the lack of our ability to reach reasonable compromise anymore, on a societal/political level. Frankly I don't see how compromise can ever be reached but at a local level. And those agreements have to be isolated from lawsuit within reason. I get it, it's nothing new, and yet we're getting nowhere further. Now the Pebble complex is back on the table. Yes, I love my tech but there can be other sources found. It cycles on and on.

trestle

trestle
PostSat May 20, 2017 11:04 pm 
Ski wrote:
I think a more appropriate comparison might be the destruction of the Mayan codexes in the 16th century by Diego de Landa.
Excellent example. I'll try another for the PNW, how about the Indian schools? Although lacking capital violence, the systematic denial of cultural heritage had a fairly significant impact, to say the least.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 21, 2017 12:28 am 
^ that goes off into an entirely different realm there, but yeah... what happened here locally was really over the top - wiping out the Camas root and eliminating a staple part of the diet, forcing cows milk into diets of a people who suffered from all kinds of GI problems as a result, virtual eradication of some of the languages, etc. ... but not much different (in that regard) than any other elimination of any culture by another society that displaced the one preceding it.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun May 21, 2017 7:03 am 
Well goodness, I had no idea that the plan was to do away with the monuments, put the indigenous people in boarding schools, convert everybody to Christianity, and blow up all the cultural sites! Good heavens, we must stop this! rolleyes.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
trestle

trestle
PostSun May 21, 2017 9:31 am 
touche. biggrin.gif we're drifting a little. lol.gif Here are the considerations for status review, an interesting list.
Quote:
In making the requisite determinations, the Secretary is directed to consider: (i) the requirements and original objectives of the Act, including the Act’s requirement that reservations of land not exceed “the smallest area compatible with the proper care and management of the objects to be protected”; (ii) whether designated lands are appropriately classified under the Act as “historic landmarks, historic and prehistoric structures, [or] other objects of historic or scientific interest”; (iii) the effects of a designation on the available uses of designated Federal lands, including consideration of the multiple-use policy of section 102(a)(7) of the Federal Land Policy and Management Act (43 U.S.C. 1701(a)(7)), as well as the effects on the available uses of Federal lands beyond the monument boundaries; (iv) the effects of a designation on the use and enjoyment of non-Federal lands within or beyond monument boundaries; (v) concerns of State, tribal, and local governments affected by a designation, including the economic development and fiscal condition of affected States, tribes, and localities; (vi) the availability of Federal resources to properly manage designated areas; and (vii) such other factors as the Secretary deems appropriate. 82 FR 20429-20430 (May 1, 2017).
Based on (i), we'll probably see some shrinkage in the preserved acreage "as smallest compatible area" is applied. (ii) might lead to the removal of the designation as "historic or scientific interest" is defined through a 2017-2019 lens. And (iii) will definitely impact the new marine monuments, as well as (i). No, I don't have evidence for my reasons above (other than observation of tendencies over the years) and yes I'm assuming a lot. Obviously something's going to change though.