Forum Index > Gear Talk > Katadyn BeFree Water Filter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostSun May 07, 2017 10:24 am 
My pump filter broke last summer on the first day of our 7 day outing in the Wallowa's. I've been dragging my feet re getting a replacement, but now it's time as we're heading for southwestern Colorado in June and somewhere else in August (probably the Rubies in Nevada). Backpacking Light has a thread on this new filter from Katadyn: https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/14946-8019639-katadyn-beefree-water-filtration-system_usa Here's REI's webpage abou it: https://www.rei.com/product/116364/katadyn-befree-collapsible-water-filter-bottle-338-fl-oz I did a search here for this filter, but it came up empty. Has anyone tried this filter? Like, no like? I plan to buy one in the next couple of weeks. I'll report back here after I get it home and try it out.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun May 07, 2017 11:46 am 
Doesn't seem like much capacity.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostSun May 07, 2017 1:18 pm 
by "capacity", do you mean the size of the container for unfiltered water? You can get 1 liter, 2 liter, and 3 liter flexible bottles to use for the dirty water. I'd probably go with a 2 liter.

Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostSun May 07, 2017 1:34 pm 
Philip Werner at sectionhiker.com did a review of it awhile ago. His review and the comments posted below it are helpful. http://sectionhiker.com/katadyn-befree-water-filter-review/

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun May 07, 2017 2:29 pm 
I've got one, a couple actually. Haven't used it yet, but the original bag is largely worthless as far as I can tell. I bought 2-Liter and 3-Liter Hyrdrapak Seeker bags, which fit the BeFree perfectly. Over the sink, the BeFree has substantially faster flow than my Sawyer Mini.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostSun May 07, 2017 2:44 pm 
texasbb wrote:
I've got one, a couple actually. Haven't used it yet, but the original bag is largely worthless as far as I can tell. I bought 2-Liter and 3-Liter Hyrdrapak Seeker bags, which fit the BeFree perfectly. Over the sink, the BeFree has substantially faster flow than my Sawyer Mini.
Thanks. That's good to hear. Yeah, I don't know why they even bother with a .6 liter bag! But the 2 or 3 liter looks good to me.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostMon May 08, 2017 7:14 am 
FYI, this just popped up on BPL: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/love-my-befree-filter/ I will buy one of these. Because of the non-standard threading on the filter, I think I'll buy it with the .6L and get the 2L bag as well, and end up using the .6 for backup.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon May 08, 2017 2:45 pm 
Well, I might have to give this one a try. I am wondering why this could not be backflushed at home. It is the same type of filter element as MSR HyperFlow and the Sawyer Squeeze. Is it because it doesn't have a setup to backflush? Or is it truly impossible to backflush it? The reason I ask is that it would be easy to set it up for backflushing. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue May 09, 2017 6:01 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I am wondering why this could not be backflushed at home. It is the same type of filter element as MSR HyperFlow and the Sawyer Squeeze. Is it because it doesn't have a setup to backflush? Or is it truly impossible to backflush it? The reason I as is that it would be easy to set it up for backflushing.
I have watched a few videos and read reviews about this and have concluded that there is nothing which precludes backflushing this other than the fact they don't provide a mechanism for doing it. Since the cap end is a standard soda bottle size, I assume this devise could be used to backflush the same as with a standard Sawyer Squeeze.
Additionally, you could also use any of the standard products which connect to the Sawyer Squeeze exit end. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed May 10, 2017 6:15 am 
RumiDude wrote:
I have watched a few videos and read reviews about this and have concluded that there is nothing which precludes backflushing this other than the fact they don't provide a mechanism for doing it.
Just blowing into the outlet end and forcing water out of the filter through the intake end each time you use it is probably a good enough backwashing during your trip. Then use the backwashing syringe when you get home.

rossb

rossb
PostWed May 10, 2017 5:00 pm 
I made the switch from the Sawyer filter to BeFree last year and haven't look back. Much better flow, and the Seeker bags are light and have a wider mouth than a Platypus or Sawyer bags. This makes it much easier to get water from a standing source (e. g. a lake). I primarily use it as part of a drip system (by connecting the other end to a platypus via a TornadoTube). The Seeker bags have spots where you can easily run some cord (no punching holes like with the Sawyer or Platypus bags). I also sometime just sip and go. I don't squeeze the Seeker bladder, just invert and suck. I've never felt the need to do a complete back-flush -- just swishing it around in clean water seems to do the trick. All in all it is a very good, very light, fast system.

rossb

rossb
PostWed May 10, 2017 5:08 pm 
Oh, and I bought the 3 liter bag. I may not want to carry three liters, but when I do, it is nice to have that option. Theoretically, with a "clean" 3 liter Platypus, I can carry six liters (3 dirty, 3 clean) which is a lot. But simply having bigger capacity means faster flow, for the first couple liters. I guess it is all the same if you are squeezing, but with a bigger bladder, you don't have to squeeze as much.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostWed May 10, 2017 8:23 pm 
Thanks for all the replies! Good to know that several here are using this filter and it's working well for them.

kenbee

kenbee
PostWed May 10, 2017 9:24 pm 
I got one last year, and I love it. After a couple of short trips, I took it on a 12-day solo and it worked beautifully. I ditched the little squeeze bag for a 2 liter...I used it to filter into a Gatorade bottle for hiking, and filled it as my main water source when in camp. The filter, empty 2 liter bottle, and Gatorade bottle all fit in one of my (oversized) side pockets. Couldn't be happier!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun May 21, 2017 8:49 am 
up.gif Nice. I watched the videos on it looks like my new filter.

Living in the Anthropocene