Forum Index > Food & Grub > What are you doing for coffee creamer on the trail???
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jackchinook

jackchinook
PostSun May 07, 2017 8:33 pm 
Not to piggyback on any of the other threads about coffee.... What are you doing for creamer in the backcountry? Like many of you, I personally adore coffee in all ways. I love the morning ritual, the taste, the perk, I love coffee flavored ice cream, candy, etc. I'm a happy addict who lays in bed at night thinking of how I will soon wake up and enjoy it. I particularly relish a good cup aside an alpine lake or accompanying a North Cascades or Oly Coast view in the morning. With that said, my personal tastes dictate that I must have some creamer, ideally half 'n half. I personally believe that the powdered non-dairy creamer rubbish available at gas stations should be illegal. Milk will do in a pinch. I've tried some non-dairy alternatives (coconut milk, soy, almond, etc) and have yet to find a suitable alternative. In the backcountry, I've resorted to powdered milk on long trips and well-packed mini-moos for shorter weekend trips. Dried milk is okay for the task and mini-moos taste fine but are a pain. I can't help but to think that there's something better out there. Anyone out there have any brilliant insight that I've not yet considered?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostMon May 08, 2017 7:40 am 
no brilliant insights, but here are a couple of obvious choices if you're willing to do non-dairy milks: These come in small packets. They have a sweetened and unsweetened version. This one is the unsweetened. https://www.amazon.com/Unisoy-Organic-Non-GMO-Soybeans-Instant/dp/B01HLWH9LM Some years ago I did a few backpacks with a woman who used this on her cereal for breakfast. I thought the flavor was great, so it would probably make a good creamer for coffee: http://btmsoymilk.com/products/soy-original-vegan-powder (Reading the ingredients now, having a WTF moment! It's got TITANIUM DIOXIDE in it?? huh.gif Maybe make your bones stronger AND lighter...)

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
Cliffed Out

Cliffed Out
PostMon May 08, 2017 1:01 pm 
I have used this stuff. Just store them in zip lock bags as they can leak. Coffee Creamer

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 08, 2017 1:22 pm 
A UK guy I hike with sometimes is very precise about "having proper milk" with his "proper tea" (Tea bags shipped from London). He carries a small plastic bottle of whole milk and finds places to keep it cool in creeks or snowbanks in camp or during lunch breaks. The longest trip I've taken with him is three nights. I take my coffee black -- keeps it simpler.

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostMon May 08, 2017 3:01 pm 
Thanks everyone for ideas. I'll follow up on some of these leads. Definitely interested in hearing any other ideas people have.
RandyHiker wrote:
A UK guy I hike with sometimes is very precise about "having proper milk" with his "proper tea"
Perhaps by accident you may have hit on something here. Though I grew up here in WA, I went to grad school in the UK and was impressed by how seriously they take their tea preparation. Some of their dedication to proper preparation may have rubbed off on me.

the1mitch

the1mitch
PostMon May 08, 2017 4:16 pm 
I play around at home with powder combinations till I find something I can stomach. Try powdered creamer, cinnamon, cocoa, nutmeg, etc until you find your oooh mixture. Zip lock sandwich bag it and you're good to go.

illegitimi non carborundum!
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostMon May 08, 2017 7:52 pm 
If you must: Mini Moo

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostTue May 09, 2017 3:59 pm 
I used to use Nido but now I've switched to Peak. It's powdered, full cream whole milk. And I cannot stomach black coffee either ... ~Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Brockton

Brockton
PostSat May 13, 2017 9:18 am 
Slim wrote:
I used to use Nido but now I've switched to Peak. It's powdered, full cream whole milk. And I cannot stomach black coffee either ... ~Slim
I've used Nido for the past few years also. It's not as good as cold liquid milk or cream, of course, but I find it to be OK. You find Peak to be better, huh? I might have to try that. I also dislike black coffee but I've found that a quick Via in cold water can be a good energy boost sometimes. It would be better with some dairy, but the Via will dissolve in cold water that leaves the dried milk all chunky and weird.

RichardJ

RichardJ
PostTue May 16, 2017 5:06 pm 
I use a small plastic bottle and whole milk. I found that if you keep it buried in the middle of your pack while hiking and keep it cool with stream water or ice at night, it can easily last three days. It is not often I get to hike more than three days at a time, so this method works perfectly for me.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostThu May 18, 2017 9:03 am 
http://www.minimus.biz/ Food and Beverage Creamers 0.375 ounce individual cups of no refrigeration required half and half are 13 cents each.
Quote:
With that said, my personal tastes dictate that I must have some creamer, ideally half 'n half.
OP, we have a solution.

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostThu May 18, 2017 11:30 am 
Thanks all! I picked up some of the half 'n half singles from Minimus for my upcoming 8-day trip on Admiralty Island in AK. I'm sure this'll allow for some no-compromise morning coffee in the rain! I'm intrigued by the Peak dried whole milk which, in theory, ought to be creamier (and better in coffee) than the ubiquitous powdered non-fat milk. Anyone know where I can pick some up in smaller packages than the $17 2lb package via Amazon? I would love to try some but would prefer not to purchase so much up front just to try it. If suitable, I'd prefer powder for its weight/storage advantages on long trips where food weight becomes so challenging. Thanks for the good rec's folks.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue May 30, 2017 4:16 pm 
Dried full fat milk can be found in store. Check out Hispanic / Ethnic stores and look for Nido brand.

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostTue May 30, 2017 6:48 pm 
Nido is good but I find that the Peak dissolves a little bit better. ~Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Jun 06, 2017 11:22 pm 
Thanks for the suggestions here. I have corn allergies, so I can't eat the regular powdered creamers. I generally bring the tiny shelf-stable half-and halfs, but they are bulky and it takes several of them to cream up my coffee to my satisfaction.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com