Forum Index > Trail Talk > Ticks !
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu May 11, 2017 11:03 am 
I read an interesting article with some good links on Ticks. It has been a good tick year for me with a lot of off trail hiking through forest, brush, and scab land I haven't encountered a single tick this year so far (fingers crossed).

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostThu May 11, 2017 11:21 am 
I've encountered several hundred in the 115 or so days I've been in the woods this year. Permethrin works real well when I remember it.

Have I offended you today?
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu May 11, 2017 1:02 pm 
There has been somewhat of an issue in central Washington with the doctors around Wenatchee flatly stating that Lyme disease does not exist here so don't worry too much about it. Other people claim they know of cases and that it is being downplayed so as not to scare people (I personally know one guy who claims he has it but some people question his credibility). Anyway...this week my brother ask me to walk the bird preserve area of the waterfront loop and then have lunch with him. At the entrance to bird loop there now is a bold sign saying beware of ticks and watch for Lyme disease. That seems to be a big change in attitude around here.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu May 11, 2017 1:23 pm 
Lyme disease does exist in Washington...but I am sure someone could dispute this by citing some foggy acid trip encounter with a couple so-called guru experts, whose names they cannot recall, on some mountain somewhere... Source: http://www.doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFamily/IllnessandDisease/LymeDisease Quote: Each year, 7-23 cases of Lyme disease among Washington residents are reported. Most of these people acquired the disease following tick bites that occurred in the northeast and upper mid-west states, where Lyme disease occurs more commonly. However, there are usually a few cases (0-3) in Washington annually that result from tick bites in our state. More: https://depts.washington.edu/ceeh/downloads/FF_Lyme_Disease.pdf

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu May 11, 2017 2:01 pm 
CDC : Lyme Disease Data and Statistics

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu May 11, 2017 4:30 pm 
after 40 years+ hiking, I finally got my first tick! it may have hitched a ride when I was hiking the Elwha! yuk I knew I would be okay, but hubby insisted I go to the doctor. he didn't even look at where the dang tick latched onto me. doc said, no worries. no Lyme disease or cases of Lyme around here, Olympic Peninsula.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
mike

mike
PostThu May 11, 2017 5:44 pm 
The Pup picked up at least a couple dozen up Catherine Ck. We were picking for an hour.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu May 11, 2017 6:16 pm 
bobbi wrote:
after 40 years+ hiking, I finally got my first tick! it may have hitched a ride when I was hiking the Elwha! yuk I knew I would be okay, but hubby insisted I go to the doctor. he didn't even look at where the dang tick latched onto me. doc said, no worries. no Lyme disease or cases of Lyme around here, Olympic Peninsula.
Your doctor is wrong. Ticks in Mason County have tested positive for Lyme disease. Also: 2 Total cases of lyme disease confirmed in Mason County (2000 to 2015) Note: Due to the fact that the CDC's data only represents confirmed cases, the actual quantity of lyme disease cases may be far greater. We estimate a total of 16 true cases of lyme disease in Mason County. https://www.tickchek.com/stats/county/washington/mason-county/lyme 7 Total cases of lyme disease confirmed in Jefferson County (2000 to 2015) Note: Due to the fact that the CDC's data only represents confirmed cases, the actual quantity of lyme disease cases may be far greater. We estimate a total of 56 true cases of lyme disease in Jefferson County. 2 Total cases of lyme disease confirmed in Grays Harbor County (2000 to 2015) Note: Due to the fact that the CDC's data only represents confirmed cases, the actual quantity of lyme disease cases may be far greater. We estimate a total of 16 true cases of lyme disease in Grays Harbor County. 3 Total cases of lyme disease confirmed in Clallam County (2000 to 2015) Note: Due to the fact that the CDC's data only represents confirmed cases, the actual quantity of lyme disease cases may be far greater. We estimate a total of 24 true cases of lyme disease in Clallam County. 11 Total cases of lyme disease confirmed in Kitsap County (2000 to 2015) Note: Due to the fact that the CDC's data only represents confirmed cases, the actual quantity of lyme disease cases may be far greater. We estimate a total of 88 true cases of lyme disease in Kitsap County.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostThu May 11, 2017 7:10 pm 
It's an issue for dogs. Mine almost died (due to tick disease causing very low platelets). Caught it by chance on a random blood test. Also explained joint licking where no arthritis exists. Ticks are serious news for dogs.

Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostThu May 11, 2017 7:39 pm 
The only place I have picked up the buggers were in the Tenaway. Last year was a wake up having found a tic on me two times within a week or two. Both picked up in the eastern part of the Tenaway. I had not picked one up for over20 years till last year. One I think actually hung out in my car for I found it in my hair driving home from work a day or so after the hike. It had not latched on. It's important to keep the tic just in case u do get the telltale symptoms. A lab can check it for Lyme disease and early detection means treatment will most likely b effective. Important information..thanks for the conversation.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 11, 2017 8:55 pm 
mike wrote:
The Pup picked up at least a couple dozen up Catherine Ck. We were picking for an hour.
Catherine creek is infested. At least as bad is what the Lyle locals call Tick Hill, AKA Cherry Orchard trail

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
canadug

canadug
PostThu May 11, 2017 11:27 pm 
Doctors up here in BC denied Lyme Disease existed until quite recently. Many still have their heads in the sand when it comes to tick borne diseases. There were 8 cases of people contracting Lyme disease in Vancouver last year and the same number the year before. I have been hiking up at the Stein Valley (near Lytton, BC) the past two weekends and there are ticks everywhere up there. Be vigilant with the ticks checks.....multiple times per day...

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri May 12, 2017 6:08 am 
I heard they are common around the recent snow line. The most I have encountered is in an old burn that filled with brush and three of us were just turning circles and knocking them off each other why we kept moving. That happened only once to me but we each had over half a dozen on us. shakehead.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri May 12, 2017 6:19 am 
CDC Tick Information

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostFri May 12, 2017 6:29 am 
Permethrin people....use it. Extremely effective.