Forum Index > Trail Talk > Decided
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 17, 2017 9:07 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
identity politics are being pushed into the hiking community.
What does this mean? How would an anonymous, voluntary survey hurt your hiking experience? So if WTA discovers that a certain percentage of their membership is LBGT. Do you think they'll start festooning trails with rainbow ribbons?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 17, 2017 9:08 pm 
Whatever the measured and reported number is, it doesn't include people like Larry Craig who aren't even out to themselves. In terms of trail assaults, these are extremely rare for everybody. But plenty of people pack heat or bear spray to protect themselves whacko humans and bears even these are extremely rare to non-existant attacks. With the increase in the number of gay assaults in ostensibly gay friendly places like Capitol Hill in Seattle in recent years, why do you think it is wise to wait until a new Mathew Shepard tragedy occurs on a trail before taking precautions is prudent? Beyond something as horrid as an attack, most people are interested in enjoying their time in the outdoors unencumbered by unwanted attention. My daughter is gay and has recently been traveling through a lot of small towns. She gets enough unwanted attention from well meaning, but clueless folks to make it uncomfortable. And that was with her adopting a low profile. She's in SFO now and she is much more relaxed.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 17, 2017 9:16 pm 
This is getting more goofy than the first post about WTA stealing the concept of text and pictures to tell a story. Wait, maybe not. Anyway; read WTA's mission statement. The survey is not going to be used to determine whether WTA should spend time and money protecting gays from harassment while hiking on trails.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 17, 2017 9:31 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
steeling the concept of text and pitchers
FTFY clown.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 17, 2017 9:38 pm 
Thank you. smile.gif

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed May 17, 2017 10:47 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
It sounds like you have a personal insecurity issue.
lol.gif lol.gif "It doesn't happen to me, so therefore it doesn't happen at all."

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed May 17, 2017 11:59 pm 
So...this thread about inclusiveness for the LGBT community is morphing into stereotyping people from small rural communities. That's awesome. So stereotyping is okay sometimes, right?

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu May 18, 2017 12:17 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
So...this thread about inclusiveness for the LGBT community is morphing into stereotyping people from small rural communities.
It is?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 18, 2017 12:26 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
It is?
from at least one poster it is

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 18, 2017 3:31 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
fourteen410 wrote:
It is?
from at least one poster it is
Specific example ?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu May 18, 2017 8:39 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
With the increase in the number of gay assaults in ostensibly gay friendly places like Capitol Hill in Seattle in recent years, why do you think it is wise to wait until a new Mathew Shepard tragedy occurs on a trail before taking precautions is prudent?
This, for one, but it seems that a few people here are struggling with WTA's survey wherein they ask about sexual orientation. A not for profit needs information from their membership or potential members, in order to grow, measure, adjust, be relevant, and serve. Is it relevant? Personally I think so; a not for profit uses this kind of information to know what communities they may wish to tap for messaging - for membership and to recruit advocacy for their mission. To those who got the survey and are asking: what does WTA say about the survey and its purpose?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 18, 2017 9:31 am 
Kim wrote:
I find it odd that folks are so paranoid about the anonymous, voluntary survey. To those who got the survey and are asking: what does WTA say about the survey and its purpose?
I thought the survey was really kind of innocuous myself. If you don't want to answer the questions you have the option to just skip over it or check "NA". Only part of it I had difficulty with was the question where they want you to prioritize some things on a numbered scale, but that's only because I can't count all the way to ten. Not sure what they said about the survey or its purpose. The link to the survey was in an email they sent to me. I may not have been paying close attention. Okay, here it is ... they said they wanted to "take my pulse":
WTA, in the email asking me to take part in their survey wrote:
We're All Ears We're taking the pulse of the hiking community, and we want to hear from you. We're not going to lie—it's a little long (so high five if you've already taken it!). But your 15 minutes will help shape the future of trails (and might earn you a sweet prize pack).
Crap. I guess I wasn't really paying attention. I don't want any more packs. Maybe I should have given them Kim's name or something. I don't get why this is such a big deal. If you don't want to answer the questions or take part in their survey, don't do it. Or maybe this is just another thinly-guised attempt to bash WTA?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu May 18, 2017 2:46 pm 
Ski wrote:
WTA, in the email asking me to take part in their survey wrote:
We're All Ears We're taking the pulse of the hiking community, and we want to hear from you. We're not going to lie—it's a little long (so high five if you've already taken it!). But your 15 minutes will help shape the future of trails (and might earn you a sweet prize pack).
OK, so thanks for the information. As suspected, just trying to learn more about the membership they serve.
Ski wrote:
I don't get why this is such a big deal. If you don't want to answer the questions or take part in their survey, don't do it. Or maybe this is just another thinly-guised attempt to bash WTA?
There's likely at least some truth to that.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu May 18, 2017 3:19 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
I was referring to not caring about public displays of affection. I do care quite a lot about how identity politics are being pushed into the hiking community.
No answer to my question about what this means. But I've been thinking about it, and I think I know what you mean. I don't like the outside to follow me into the mountains, either. (except when I want it to). Matter of fact, it's one reason why I don't have a lot of hiking partners. I don't trust people to STFU. embarassedlaugh.gif But without advocacy, and that requires proper communication to capture all groups of people that might advocate for trails and the outdoors in general, knowing where you might be missing someone is important in order to grab more advocates (and donors - "follow the money"). But that's all city - business. Once the survey is done, forget it and go for a hike.