Forum Index > Gear Talk > Green Trails maps shipping cost?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
doublemom

doublemom
PostTue May 16, 2017 8:00 am 
Not sure which forum this should go in. Has anyone ordered maps directly from the GreenTrails website? I want to order one of their $16 maps, and shipping is $12 ?!?!?! For a piece of paper??? It's one that I haven't been able to find at any REI. Grrrrrr............ that is simply ridiculous.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue May 16, 2017 8:48 am 
Metsker Maps in downtown Seattle has a REI sized collection of both Green Trails and USGS hiking maps. If that's anywhere convenient to you, it would be worth a visit.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
hbb

hbb
PostTue May 16, 2017 12:27 pm 
Metsker will also ship Green Trails maps for $2.00.

doublemom

doublemom
PostTue May 16, 2017 12:35 pm 
Thanks for the idea, I'll be contacting Metsker to see if they have it smile.gif

Waterman

Waterman
PostTue May 16, 2017 9:12 pm 
They also have a store located in Lynnwood, at the alderwood mall.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
doublemom

doublemom
PostTue May 16, 2017 10:01 pm 
thanks... I'm further south and avoid traffic thru the Seattle/Eastside area like the plague. But I'll contact them to see if they can ship to me!

contour5

contour5
PostTue May 16, 2017 10:56 pm 
which map?

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed May 17, 2017 5:10 am 
InFlight wrote:
...If that's anywhere convenient to you, it would be worth a visit.
It'a worth a visit anyway, that is an interesting store. I give it up.gif up.gif up.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed May 17, 2017 7:08 am 
moonspots wrote:
InFlight wrote:
...If that's anywhere convenient to you, it would be worth a visit.
It'a worth a visit anyway, that is an interesting store. I give it up.gif up.gif up.gif
I miss the old pioneer square location, but it's a very cool place to visit. I've always been a map and compass guy anywhere out hiking. I probably have forty plus Washington topo maps or so in my collection. I've also had to travel to some unusual places for work. Where else but Metskers are you going to pickup paper road maps of third world countries on short notice?

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
doublemom

doublemom
PostWed May 17, 2017 7:38 am 
I love maps... They're as interesting to read as a good book IMO smile.gif I'm looking for the new GT Wallowas/Eagle Cap map that was released several weeks ago. If anyone's interested in beautiful maps that are more wall art than maps, check out Raven maps, we have several and I love them! We have Washington. U.S., and World, and I look at them every day smile.gif

doublemom

doublemom
PostWed May 17, 2017 7:40 am 
Oooooh... There's a Metsker Maps in Tacoma... still not close, but much closer than Seattle/Lynnwood smile.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed May 17, 2017 8:02 am 
Instead of getting a hardcopy you could (and/or) get the GT app on your phone or pad and download any map they have for between $2-$4. If you don’t leave your phone in the car at the TH you will always have it with you containing the GT map you downloaded. A small electronic map is not the best to use but it is there when you need it. And, if you get the Gaia GPS app ($19.99) on your phone as well you will have any map you need. And a little yellow arrow showing exactly (almost) where you are and the arrow will always point north (if that’s what you want) and will move as you move. No cell service required. Put your phone in airplane mode and the battery will last for days. Just a suggestion.

doublemom

doublemom
PostWed May 17, 2017 8:08 am 
Thanks HitTheTrail... I'm a paper kind of girl (I also read real books, not e-books). Plus, paper maps don't require batteries smile.gif I have a cheaper version of a hiking app on my phone called Backcountry Navigator and I do sometimes use it in areas I'm not familiar with, but my whole point of going out and hiking, or better yet backpacking alone for days, is to get away from technology, so I've never relied much on electronic devices out in the wilderness.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed May 17, 2017 8:49 am 
I attended a boy scout camp on the south end of Lake Wallowa a few times. Our troop took a few side trip through hills behind at the time. The forest service has an online map. https://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=e787e0ad46af41f6863b6c47cefeb1d6 I'm certain that we spent the night at Aneroid Lake (Trail 1804). I'm guessing the other one may have been Ice Lake (Trail 1808). It's probably been 35 years since I visited that area. Looks like with the Lostine River Road entrance you could make all sorts of loop trips of any distance that you wanted.

wildling

wildling
PostWed May 17, 2017 9:04 pm 
I emailed them and complained about the outrageous shipping and handling costs. They wrote back stating that the price was actually what it costs them to get the map to you and they don't make any money on shipping. Also, they said, buying in bulk helps keep the cost down. I wasn't buying that excuse and decided to just make the trip to REI. rolleyes.gif