Forum Index > Gear Talk > Green Trails maps shipping cost?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
doublemom

doublemom
PostWed May 17, 2017 9:07 pm 
wildling... exactly! It DOES NOT COST $12 to ship a piece of paper within the same state. Not even close. I really like their maps, but not so much liking their methods of business.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed May 17, 2017 10:11 pm 
Metsker Maps has two locations - downtown, on 1st & Pike, and in Alderwood Mall. I manage the Alderwood Mall location. No location in Tacoma. (I think there once was, decades ago, but not for a long while now. The Aldy location used to be at the airport - SeaTac - but Delta kicked us out to expand their wing ) We have the new Wallowas/Eagle Cap map in stock and I'm sure Pike has it as well. There's a new Middle Fork Snoqualmie special series coming out but that's been delayed. If you want it shipped, order fom the website - metskers.com - or call the downtown store; we're not set up for shipping at Alderwood. Stop by and see me (and quit going to REI - a) I actually have the maps in stock and REI frequently does not and b) you'll be supporting small local business). RE: shipping costs... While I'm sure it doesn't cost $12 to mail a map, shipping costs, even USPS, have increased substantially. I sent a small box weighing less than 1/2 a lb. to NY using Priority Mail and it cost me over $8.00. The GT special series maps have to go in something other than a standard size evp so the cost is going to be higher. Then there's the handling cost of someone to actually go pull the map, stuff it in an evp, address it, and send it out. Again, not saying it's worth $12 but it is more than you think these days. That said, GT is not set up for doing retail business - that's what I'm for, as well as other distributors. They'd much rather you come buy from me, or REI, so they're not going to charge a shipping fee that encourages you to buy from them. As they said, if you're buying bulk, great! If not, well...

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
doublemom

doublemom
PostWed May 17, 2017 10:34 pm 
Thanks Gwen :-) I appreciate the good info, and I'll be ordering from you next week.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 18, 2017 7:33 am 
Gwen wrote:
That said, GT is not set up for doing retail business
Which I think is exactly the point of the $12 shipping and handling fee -- to encourage customers to buy through a retailer. An Old Skool approach these days, but I think GT is mainly concerned with making up to date maps and selling them in big stacks than in fielding orders for one or two maps.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu May 18, 2017 10:31 am 
If they ship them folded then $12 is too much. Aren't they shipped rolled in a tube? Go try to ship any piece of paper rolled up in a tube that is 2" x 20". That will be close to the size of a rolled up GT map. It is not cheap.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostThu May 18, 2017 12:38 pm 
When they say that $12 is what it costs to get the map to you, they are very likely including the time an employee spends (or the company owner spends) getting the enveloped addressed and the map in the mail. So employee cost + postage adds up to $12 according to their bookkeeping. Your own time is worth something too. A trip to Metsker's Maps will cost you time and transportation.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu May 18, 2017 3:24 pm 
Let's see, $12 for shipping is on a par with the $10 toll to get from Bellevue to Alderwood Mall, plus gas and wear and tear on the car. There used to be a Metsker (or Metsker-type) store in Bellevue. I still miss it.

Canon Shooter

Canon Shooter
PostTue May 23, 2017 9:17 pm 
The last Green Trails map I purchased was through REI. No $12 shipping.