Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Donations needed to save Port Gamble Forest from development.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostWed May 17, 2017 11:41 am 
This is a campaign to acquire a 3,000 acre parcel of Pope Resources timber land that will otherwise be sold for development. Over 1,000 acres in three smaller sections have already been secured, this is the last and biggest piece. Not all of the land is as pretty as shown in the video, many areas are monocultures or have been recently clearcut, but the intention is to replant these with appropriate natives. The bottom line is that it's an opportunity to set aside a huge amount of land for recreation and wildlife, and the alternative is just lots of houses. Over $2 million has been raised of the $3.5 needed. A matching offer is currently available to double the impact of donations: SavePG.org

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed May 17, 2017 1:22 pm 
so.... how close are they to reaching their goal? what happens if they don't get enough donations to put the $3.5 million together?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostWed May 17, 2017 2:56 pm 
Ski wrote:
so.... how close are they to reaching their goal?
An e-mail I was sent thanking me for a donation said that they have $1.4 million yet to raise.
Quote:
what happens if they don't get enough donations to put the $3.5 million together?
They will purchase as much of the 3,000 acre block as they have funds for.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSat May 20, 2017 8:35 am 
Some big donations must have come in - I just heard gossip that there is less than $1 million to go! smile.gif

trestle

trestle
PostSat May 20, 2017 11:13 pm 
IanB, this seems like a tremendous value in conservation dollars. Any developer would gladly drop the $3.5 million to grab that land; I'm not surprised the fund is growing. As much as I worry about home prices in the decades to come, this area will continue to offer a fine preserve on the north end of the Kitsap peninsula.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Gregory

Gregory
PostTue May 30, 2017 6:18 am 
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/local/2017/03/24/kitsap-transit-sets-proposed-schedule-new-foot-ferry/99589416/ When they did this back in the late nineties I was building spec houses three at a time.It is going to be tenfold with the outrageous taxes and cost of living in Freeatle.Hurry up!