Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Chris Cornell Death
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Osguthoj

Osguthoj
PostThu May 18, 2017 2:45 pm 
Bummed to hear of his death today. Up there as one of my favorite artists, and what a voice! I have a lot of memories driving and hiking listening to his stuff along the way. Listened to Say Hello to Heaven today. I guess he wrote it for his room mate 20+ years ago, but kind of haunting how it ended up being about himself.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostThu May 18, 2017 5:33 pm 
my wife woke me up early this morning to tell me the bad news:( I have a lot of his music as the soundtrack to my yearly hiking videos. I've seen him perform a few times with soundgarden in '96 and with audioslave sometime in the early 2000's. big time bummer as another talented seattle lead singer passes away. completely shocked

Eric Eames
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 18, 2017 7:20 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
big time bummer as another talented seattle lead singer passes away.
Didn't really think about it til now, but almost all of the lead singers from the famous Seattle grunge bands are gone. Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, now Cornell. I hope Eddie Vedder is feeling okay.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 18, 2017 8:06 pm 
Also did the theme to Bill Nye the Science Guy. waah.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostThu May 18, 2017 10:14 pm 
I saw him in concert at the Paramount a few years ago. What a voice. His high notes made the inside of the theater shake. Amazing. Tragic death.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
trestle

trestle
PostFri May 19, 2017 5:57 am 
RIP Chris Cornell and what an unfortunate loss. From leading an iconic band to the great collaborations, thank you for all the art you left us with.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri May 19, 2017 6:31 am 
Soundgarden was an awesome band they exploded onto the American music scene with a unique heavy grunge sound unlike 99% of the current crap that will pass from history they developed that garage band cred. Temple of the Dog another collaboration that was exceptional. I am glad I was / am able to experience the music. Thanks.

Living in the Anthropocene
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 19, 2017 7:33 am 
Ok, he didnt just die. He killed himself! What that hell is going on with these artists? http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/18/528899410/chris-cornell-powerhouse-voice-of-soundgarden-and-audioslave-dies-at-52

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Osguthoj

Osguthoj
PostFri May 19, 2017 7:52 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Ok, he didnt just die. He killed himself! What that hell is going on with these artists?
Yeah I'm scratching my head a bit on this one. I know he had his demons he battled with, but in the last decade he really seemed like he figured life out and genuinely came across as a pretty happy guy. Maybe more information will come.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri May 19, 2017 8:40 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Didn't really think about it til now, but almost all of the lead singers from the famous Seattle grunge bands are gone. Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, now Cornell.
Don't forget Andrew Wood. While not as famous, still an amazing local talent, and inspiration for those listed above.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri May 19, 2017 11:29 am 
People who commit suicide typically suffer from depression or mental illness. If you've known someone who battles depression, it's not something they can just snap out of. It's a medical issue. Drug use is also a common factor. 15 Common Causes of Suicide Very sad regardless of the reason.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri May 19, 2017 11:51 am 
Tracks from Badmotorfinger filled my mind's ear many times up high on rock faces back in the 90s We belted out "Rusty Cage" as we were running up Mountaineer's Creek one day...embarrassed when we became aware that another group was having lunch up in the rocks as we walked by. We were totally butchering it...but it was our climbing soundtrack for a couple summers

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri May 19, 2017 12:05 pm 
Not an outlier just a well known musician. Recently due to the alarming rate suicides are classified along with alcoholism and drug addiction as, "Diseases of Desperation".

Living in the Anthropocene
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri May 19, 2017 1:50 pm 
Chris's Songbook album is one of my favorites of all time. Just his amazing voice and guitar on a solo tour. His cover of Led Zep's Thank You is just ridiculously good. I was shocked to hear of his passing at 52. I not sure the way he died is all that important; but we will be forever at a great loss of his talent and future song writing.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri May 19, 2017 1:54 pm 
There is a particular radio talk show host who seems to be understanding of and empathic towards those who suffer from depression. He refers to depression as the "Dark Passenger".