Forum Index > Trip Reports > Twin Peaks Thruhike (Wenatchee)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri May 19, 2017 10:44 am 
Steve and I did a thru-hike of Twin Peaks from the North to the South car to car. I thought wow a sunny forecast, yet on the way NOAA Weather Radio yet again contradicted NOAA Weather online and stated there would be mostly sunny skies with increasing clouds and possibly afternoon tstorms. This has unfortunately become the norm for all most the last year (a year in June) so well at this point anything goes, I should have just tracked my own weather via "Live" satellite. Anyhow mostly sunny to start, with scattered clouds to the West, light winds, and comfortable temps. We had a wildflower show the whole way through the wildly winding trail system which better serves bikes than hikers with rapidly increasing clouds noting some showers on the plateau to the East, the most we caught were several sprinkles, but I missed those views to the West. In short order it was mostly cloudy with a cool lunch on the South summit, we did pick out peaks from Miller to Copper though. We had thought about bringing coffee but decided with full sun and higher temps it didn't seem seasonal, we were wrong. We left the summit and followed an East ridge dropping down another bike trail in an area we like with quite a few Indian Paintbrush, yes there out and looking good eventually making it back to the end of the pavement on #2 Canyon Rd. Along the way we ran into a nice older guy who drove all the way from Redmond only to see the area clouded up, but he did like the wildflower show. Once we were back to the original TH I noted the cloud deck had risen above 9000' to the West, go figure. lol.gif As always a good time getting out I told Steve it was a good training hike we are building momentum for the Sawtooths and Pasayten he thought we might be wearing down, but when I asked him what trip he wanted to do in the coming week he said, "A hard one", I think we can deliver on that. 12 miles, 3200' r/t
Twin Peaks Thruhike North to South
Twin Peaks Thruhike North to South
We had so many open sections with mountain views once again obscured by clouds in the typical pattern.
We had so many open sections with mountain views once again obscured by clouds in the typical pattern.
Steve on the South aka West summit.
Steve on the South aka West summit.

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri May 19, 2017 12:38 pm 
Beautiful pics, despite the increasing clouds. Looks like a fun car to car hike! Just be glad you weren't on the west slope getting rained/sleeted/snowed on. lol.gif

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostFri May 19, 2017 1:05 pm 
I rode up there on my bike last evening. When I left my house at 5:15, it was clear skies. By the time I got up to the summit at 7:30, I was getting rained on. No thunder/lightning. I rode back down through Sage Hills and was greeted to an amazing light display with the cloud deck reflecting sun rays, and a rainbow to top it off. The flower display in upper Sage was the best I've ever seen it.

iron

iron
PostFri May 19, 2017 3:03 pm 
nice. might have to do a repeat....

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri May 19, 2017 4:05 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
The flower display in upper Sage was the best I've ever seen it.
The wildflowers are huge and plentiful. The weather real variable. I keep hearing h?&? Pr%&&"$# but I am not seeing it yet. I think I got spoiled once I moved here. I can't complain living in the valley though.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri May 19, 2017 6:21 pm 
Looking forward to getting out with you two again soon. As always, a steady hand on the shutter button and a good eye peeping into the lens. up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon May 22, 2017 4:20 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Looking forward to getting out with you two again soon.
up.gif Nice days to be stuck home I am waiting on a Zpacks haul coming in Tues. some time. Forecast so far is partly sunny to the East of us the rest of the week ( hmmm.gif ).

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 11:08 am 
Any camping potential? Looking for a snow free backpacking destination. Would appreciate info from backpacking/near car camping perspective if you have it. I believe I read no water source, but if some flat spots not too far from TH, could leave extra water in car in case. Thinking of combining it with some hikes out of E'burg as those flowers and views look spectacular!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 3:25 pm 
From the Horse Lake Reserve TH on the N side of Twin Peaks there is no camping it is day use only. You could go up #2 Canyon Rd. on the S side beyond the end of the pavement taking the dirt road to the gate where there are a few parking spaces you still have to hike up awhile to get into NFS land. There are no water sources. The entire area is open for the most part and quite a few destinations.