Forum Index > Trip Reports > White-out washout on Whitehorse
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ree

ree
PostTue Jun 06, 2017 12:31 pm 
The most recent beta on Whitehorse I could find was over a month old, which said there was an iffy snowbridge left. Even with the recent warm weather, we thought we'd give it a shot anyway. We were really prepared with all the gear - winter climbing gear and overnight gear. There were 4 vehicles in the parking lot. Looking at the trail register, it looked like they were up there to ski. The bottom of the trail is a roadbed that thins to a nice trail through forest of ferns and trees. Then it gets ridiculously steep, rooted, with all sorts of nasty blow down to get around. It was awful. At 3,400 or so we started getting snow and lost the "trail." The route winds towards Lone Tree Pass,and crosses an avalanche field to arrive at a bench (4,150'). We stayed a bit too low, and crossed below an outcrop. We hit some annoying slide alder there. Beyond the bench, we started to traverse on snow to Lone Tree Pass. Snow conditions were soft and a bit slippery. I did have to arrest once. Overall, I was glad to be on snow with decent run out. The steep trail was awful by comparison. Right before the pass, wouldn't you know it... we ran into the marine layer ceiling. We made our way to the nice flat spot on the ridge after the pass and dropped our gear, and set up our tents. It was cold, damp and windy in the marine layer. No views, except the fleeting "sucker hole." Eileen suggested going home, and I was right there with her. Sitting in a tent for 14 hours trying to escape a wet windy cloud, and to trudge over to the moat in the morning and finding out its a ton of work in the same damp, no-view weather did not sound appealing. With plenty of daylight left, we packed up allllll the heavy gear and headed back down. From Lone Tree Pass, Eileen led the way following the ski tracks - staying higher on the traverse and going above the rocky outcrops. It was a good move as it was much easier to drop on the bench back on snow. From there, we were able to stay on track for the most part, though glad to confirm things with the gps. At around 3,100' we almost went down the wrong ridge. Once on track, it was easy to find the trail. This peak is finicky. It needs perfect weather, perfect season snowfall, and perfect snow conditions for it. Plus all the gear necessary! Like hitting a dart board with a load on it. Not sure how badly I want this peak. Right now, my legs are saying "no." The company made the trip fun and we chalked it up to an early season "conditioner." Didn't get to take that many pictures.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 2:00 pm 
ree wrote:
This peak is finicky. It needs perfect weather, perfect season snowfall, and perfect snow conditions for it.
You sure said it. Thanks for the report. Darn weather.

MarkClimbs

MarkClimbs
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 6:38 pm 
Whitehorse Mt. lets you up only when she wants to. Of all the peaks that I've revisited in the Cascade range, no other mountain has denied me summit bids like Whitehorse Mt. I've been 2 for 5 on getting to the top. Two trips up were denied due to very active avalanches all around us and the third failure was due to weather socking the mountain in to a thick fog that made navigating impossible. I really recommend doing this mountain as a day trip. Light and fast makes for a pleasant day on this rewarding mountain. Good luck next time, because you're gonna want to get up this beautiful peak. It's worth the sweat and pain!

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 7:16 pm 
Finicky is an ideal adjective for Whitehorse. Just plan your next Whitehorse climb for perfect late spring conditions. There needs to be excellent weather and plenty of snow which is plenty consolidated. It's so worth it. If conditions are less than perfect on climb day, reschedule or go elsewhere. Camping at the trailhead for a one-day push with a very early start (dawn) works well.

xuanxier

xuanxier
PostThu Jun 08, 2017 11:48 am 
Good try on it nonetheless. Thinkin' back I'd say a bomber, cold February day might be a better shot these years. That kind of days do happen maybe once or twice in a year, and the catch is, as soon as condition lines up do you have the infinite flexibility to ditch everything else and go for it? That's what makes this peak tricky but rewarding at the same time. Another thing for a winter ascent is that you're doing the approach in dark and on snow which means you probably want to at least know it or go with someone who has tried this before..

ree

ree
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 11:59 am 
Steve asked, "where did they explode the helicopters?" ( "High Ice".) lol.gif I wonder if that balcony-shaped rock set piece where they had David Janssen's body was still up there. lol

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 7:53 am 
Most of us oldies have had the same experience, maybe on Whitehorse or other objectives, of arduous struggle without the strong desire to continue. Sometimes following one's gut instinct is wise. I recall a pretty scary moat just below the summit rock that could be tough to cross in late season. But that was almost 40 years ago. Maybe with reduced snow/ice mass it is eadier....or worse?
ree wrote:
Steve asked, "where did they explode the helicopters?" ( "High Ice".) lol.gif
Almost forgot about that horrible excuse for a movie. And to think I turned down a chance to be in it as an extra or whatever a background figure is called.... down.gif down.gif down.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 7:58 am 
ree wrote:
Steve asked, "where did they explode the helicopters?" ( "High Ice".)
The filming was done on the East wall

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 11:45 am 
Descriptions from friends who have tried to ski it have left me fairly uninterested in ever giving Whitehorse a go. I'm sure it would be cool to hit it right but even then it sounds like it exacts its taxes.