Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > WTA wants to know your race and sex preferences!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon May 15, 2017 8:58 pm 
I got an email from the WTA that contained a link to an information survey they wanted members to complete. Two of the questions were asking about your race and sexual orientation. WTF! I suppose if you are trying to reach minority youth it might help to know what your race is but…..your sex preferences??? What could that possibility have to do with getting out or keeping trails open? I think that organization is losing its way. I may have to re-think my membership support.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon May 15, 2017 11:21 pm 
Did you miss the part that said it was anonymous info? Or maybe don't you trust them about that.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue May 16, 2017 9:38 am 
puzzlr wrote:
Did you miss the part that said it was anonymous info? Or maybe don't you trust them about that.
OK, maybe I am over reacting a bit. I did see the part about remaining anonymous. Anybody who thinks they can remain anonymous on the internet these days is fooling themselves. But that was not my point at all. My main astonishment was how anyone’s orientation could possibly be relevant to a trails organization. There are a few very vocal groups on each side but the vast majority of people in western societies view it as a personal freedom and could care less (I know I don’t). The only reason it is even an issue at all is because people make it an issue by bringing it up all the time when it is totally irrelevant.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 16, 2017 10:19 am 
Even as anonymous info, it's stupidity cubed. Don't give them a hand in enabling the ongoing tribalization of society into groups where value and status is defined by race, sex, etc.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
trestle

trestle
PostTue May 16, 2017 10:58 am 
It makes sense if the survey is being put forth by the group responsible for trip planning, particularly if they've been tasked with providing preference-specific activities for the members. With all the loudmouths running around these days, it's easy to see why some would want to ensure isolation from said loudmouths.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 16, 2017 11:15 am 
Heck, it's impossible to guarantee that!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
ejain

ejain
PostTue May 16, 2017 5:31 pm 
It's obvious, isn't it? They're looking for funding to cover our trails with rainbow-colored gravel.

christensent

christensent
PostTue May 16, 2017 6:40 pm 
It's conceivable that it is useful information... I don't know what the survey contained, but if they for example learned that 95% of gay people feel attacked by their sexual orientation as a result of WTA crew behavior, that would be a very valuable piece of information that could lead to actionable and favorable changes (I'm by no means suggesting that this is likely the case, just that it is one completely fictional but plausible finding as a result of asking for sexual orientation).

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 17, 2017 9:58 am 
Political correctness and our brain damaged society! down.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostWed May 17, 2017 12:40 pm 
There have been long-standing movements to forget the differences between us all and to highlight our similarities and enforce the fact that we're all equal, yet differences between us are constantly being highlighted. It's quite the paradox.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 17, 2017 2:22 pm 
Typically a survey has a preamble about the survey and what they are seeking formation for. What does it say? That might help. Most surveys are about learning more about who their members are so they can better serve everyone. I’m no communications expert – I cuss too much and am too blunt, and I hate the word “amazing” – and I don’t know how messaging to the LBGT community might be any different from generic messaging. But they may target some messaging issues, or reach out to communities they didn’t realize were a large part of WTA membership, and ask for more involvement. I assure everyone; it is not about WTA crew leaders hassling or potentially hassling the LBGT community or stalking youth on trails and work parties. Like any organization, WTA wishes to grow and understand it's membership and potential membership.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Chico

Chico
PostWed May 17, 2017 3:20 pm 
Race would be useful as it's a know fact a lot of non-whites don't hike or camp.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed May 17, 2017 3:59 pm 
Chico wrote:
Race would be useful as it's a know fact a lot of non-whites don't hike or camp.
It's a well known fact lots of whites don't hike or camp. As far as diversity of individuals that are utilizing trails, I see plenty. Some ethnicities more than others, but it doesn't seem that different than what I encounter in the general population in the area. One particular ethnic group I couldn't help but notice was severely underrepresented in the hiking community, but that has changed SIGNIFICANTLY the last 4-5 years in my experience. As in exponential increase in participation.

n16ht5

n16ht5
PostFri May 19, 2017 7:51 am 
Its a liberal NGO what did you expect?

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostFri May 19, 2017 9:16 am 
I never answer those kinds of questions on surveys or application forms or whatnot. Unless I think that it is important information that is needed for whatever, I will not answer it. And in this case, I wouldn't answer those questions. Why? because my sexual orientation and race should matter for hiking. But then again it is an information survey. fill out what you want. It's not mandatory to take the survey.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war