Forum Index > Gear Talk > What is your main concern?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
conrad74

conrad74
PostSun May 21, 2017 2:48 pm 
Curious to know if my backpacking gear shopping the habits are the same as everyone else... Let's take a backpacking stove for example. Which of the following is (usually) YOUR main concern? For example... 1) Budget (most concerned about budget. have X amount of dollars to spend. what is the best stove for less than that price?) 2) Weight (most concerned about weight. If it is really light and high quality, will tend to pay more if need be.) 3) Quality/Brand (want things to last forever and operate well so more concerned about this and willing to sacrifice money and carry extra weight.) Are there any other concerns I am missing that you would consider over these?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun May 21, 2017 3:30 pm 
My first criteria is reliability. I'm only going to bring one stove for a trip, so I need it to work every time. Fuel efficiency and total cooking system weight are my next priorities. Cost is a consideration, but a quality stove will give you years of service. On lifetime per night basis they're fairly inexpensive. Water treatment is one area that that I have tried out a lot of different options from Large pumps, all the chemicals, UV lights, and the Sawyer.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSun May 21, 2017 4:36 pm 
Weight, then quality and reliability, then budget.

trestle

trestle
PostSun May 21, 2017 5:29 pm 
Reminds me of the old adage:
Quote:
Cheap, light, or strong. Choose any two.
As for me, generally strong, light, and then cheap in that order.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun May 21, 2017 7:51 pm 
I'd go quality / reliability, weight, fuel efficiency, $$

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 21, 2017 9:47 pm 
InFlight wrote:
My first criteria is reliability. I'm only going to bring one stove for a trip, so I need it to work every time.
Same here. Stoves are my biggest problem. Ran a Coleman Peak1 for about 20 years, then switched to a Dragonfly. Much more reliable in the field. Next biggest problem item is the pack, but it's almost 50 years old and has a lot of miles on it. I just keep fixing it. Price and weight are secondary concerns; I need stuff that works first time, every time, all the time, no matter how much I abuse it. Have had far too many trips cut short because of equipment failure - usually the damn stove. I keep a back-up stove in the truck at the trailhead now.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun May 21, 2017 10:21 pm 
conrad74 wrote:
Which of the following is (usually) YOUR main concern?
Quality, use (where/when/who), size, weight, price.... I guess that's about it. I just bought a Reactor for a specific trip with the grandkids along. Otherwise it would have been the Whisperlight for just me.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon May 22, 2017 3:25 pm 
stove priorities: 1. reliable (never an issue with canister stoves, all of which have been reliable for me) 2. wind performance (Reactor = game changer) 3. fuel efficiency (for longer trips) 4. speed

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 22, 2017 3:36 pm 
To stir the pot a little -- another concern is fuel accessability. A non-issue for up to a week backpackers in the USA. However for long distance touring cyclists and international backpackers its something to consider. Backpacking fuel canisters aren't easily available in podunk towns in the USA, most of Mexico, etc. For bike touring alcohol is broadly available -- someone even blogged about it.

cartman

cartman
PostMon May 22, 2017 9:20 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
stove priorities: 1. reliable (never an issue with canister stoves, all of which have been reliable for me) 2. wind performance (Reactor = game changer) 3. fuel efficiency (for longer trips) 4. speed
Reactor wins all four criteria.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue May 23, 2017 5:23 am 
Weight, Volume, Durability, Value and I am looking for all of those variables. My base weight will be in the 4 lb. range shortly.

Living in the Anthropocene
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue May 23, 2017 7:41 am 
For things on which a life, or successful trip, depends: reliability is key and everything else is secondary. For other things, its really a sliding scale of all variables, function cost and weight. I'd clearly forsake some expensive gear if it saves me only a couple ounces. But to save a couple pounds, sure, I'll pay a lot.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed May 24, 2017 10:55 pm 
Packability and functionality are two of my highest concerns with any piece of gear. For a stove to pass my packability criteria, it should pack into the pot and still leave room for other items. I want the stove, fuel canister, lighter, and possibly my Sea To Summit collapsible cup as well. Functionality in a stove to me mainly means ease of operation, set-up, take-down, stability, able to simmer, and suited for a variety of conditions. I don't want to have to fiddle too much with a stove. In winter snow camping with snow melting I will allow for less convenient in lieu of reliability and raw snow melting power. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."