Forum Index > Gear Talk > GPS/Navigation
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gumby

gumby
PostMon May 22, 2017 2:49 pm 
I have some backpacking trips planned for this summer, including a Mt. Adams summit climb in June. I’d like to have something [strikethrough]more reliable and[/strikethrough] convenient than a map+compass for navigation. What do people use for general navigation in the backcountry? Any success stories with purchasing hand held GPS units (like the Garmin 64st)? At a bare minimum, I’m looking for something with accurate GPS/elevation and good battery life (my old iPhone's battery life sucks, especially in the cold). Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

August die she must...
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostMon May 22, 2017 3:03 pm 
gumby wrote:
something more reliable and convenient than a map+compass for navigation.
Really isn't anything. A GPS is a convenience item mostly but there are a few times when it could be helpful, e.g. poor visibility, back tracking, etc.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon May 22, 2017 3:04 pm 
Well, I'll beat folks to it so you don't get "a good talking to" by some of the super smart folks here. Generally, a map and compass are considered to be the most reliable navigation tools that the average person can equip themselves with. A handheld GPS (GPSr for the smarty-pants out there) can be quicker and easier to use when you want to find your location and haven't been keeping track of it as you go. The speed at which you can figure things out is super convenient. I like carrying a GPS but will never be without map and compass (and altimeter). If you decide to buy a handheld GPS there are some good discussions already in the forums. Main considerations: - Ease of use (touchscreen, joy-knob, buttons, screen size, etc) - Battery life - Satellite acquisition time - ability to add maps!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
gumby

gumby
PostMon May 22, 2017 3:34 pm 
mike wrote:
A GPS is a convenience item mostly
Thanks for pointing this out mike and Schenk... I love maps and would never go on a trip without one. But still good to know a GPS device is not a replacement for good ol' paper and needle.

August die she must...
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue May 23, 2017 6:46 am 
GPSr supplements map & compass, but does not replace them. IMO a GPSr with smart prior route planning (i.e., setting waypoints at key spots) is far more than a mere convenience. It can save lots of time in complex terrain.
mike wrote:
there are a few times when it could be helpful, e.g. poor visibility, back tracking, etc.
Add: --confirm your precise position on the map --mark waypoint in the field (e.g., ski stash, camp) --distance and bearing to key terrain feature (via preset waypoint), e.g., key notch, key ledge --mark on map major crevasse fields and orientation of crevasses (using late season satellite imagery)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 23, 2017 7:47 am 
In my personal experience, one of the biggest time saving advantages of a GPSr is when travelling in a group with multiple large egos. The GPSr eliminates lengthy discussions about "where we are" that I've experienced under cloudy and dense forest conditions. GPSr is also super nice for sea kayaking in the fog and when making channel crossings. It eliminates all the calculations and guess work required for computing "ferry angle" when making a crossing and dealing with currents.

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostTue May 23, 2017 11:00 am 
If you don't have it Gaia https://www.gaiagps.com/ for your smartphone $20. It's accurate and works in airplane mode so not particularly hard on battery life. That and combine a cheap battery pack https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=battery+pack basically replaces the need for a dedicated hand held gps 90+ % of the time. In addition you have Guthooks and Halfmiles apps http://www.halfwayanywhere.com/trails/pacific-crest-trail/app-review-guthooks-pct-guide/ for bigger trails like the Pct. Personally I would see if Gaia fit my needs before investing a significant amount of cash in a Garmin unit. My Delorme PN 40 mostly sits in a drawer these days. Dedicated gps units are being relegated to situations like when your doing a lot of tracks and need maximum battery life, working in extreme cold (Adams in the summer should not qualify), absolute accuracy required (more than just general navigation) and for those who don't own a smart phone or refuse to take one with them.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostTue May 23, 2017 1:33 pm 
Gaia works well for me on iOS.

hbb

hbb
PostTue May 23, 2017 1:37 pm 
I'm sure if NW Hikers had been around when the magnetic compass was first invented, a bunch of folks would have posted to complain that rudimentary celestial navigation was way more reliable. Use whatever you think is going to make it easiest for you to determine your location and enable you to get to your destination. On volcanoes in poor visibility, I'll personally take some sort of GPS receiver every single time.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue May 23, 2017 5:44 pm 
hbb wrote:
On volcanoes in poor visibility, I'll personally take some sort of GPS receiver every single time.
Do you also take a map and compass? Just curious

hbb

hbb
PostWed May 24, 2017 1:01 pm 
Yes, there's no reason not to. No meaningful weight penalty, somewhat multipurpose in that if necessary I can burn the map and use the compass mirror for signaling. I run custom Caltopo maps for basemaps with my GPS setup, and will more often than not have a hard copy version of the same as a backup. For volcanoes in particular, I find it's useful to have slope angle shading, along with some bearing lines marked out in case I need to make the descent in low viz. It's way easier to just look at a dot on a screen, though, so I rarely navigate from hard copy maps these days. About the only time I prefer hard copy is a route planning session during a snack break or something along those lines.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu May 25, 2017 7:31 am 
With the almost universal use of smartphones, almost all hikers and backpackers have the ability to load and use topographical map apps with GPS. Otherwise separate GPS units. These are certainly a convenience, and 99% of the time will be dependable. But you need a plan B when the batteries or the units fails. I always carry a map, declination adjusted compass, and an altimeter. Use of these as your primary navigation tools builds up your skill set in multiple situations. Carrying a map and compass and a notional idea how to use them, isn't the same as experience finding your location on a map.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri May 26, 2017 6:54 pm 
Usually use Gaia now works well if you have data or the foresight to download maps ahead of time. A big micro SD card is a boost on android if you root it. Have an older Garmin which I have downloaded maps for most of the US but seldom use it anymore.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon May 29, 2017 6:07 pm 
I've been using a GPS for around 20 years for both hiking and sea kayaking trips. Number of times I've had either the batteries or the GPS itself fail: ZERO. (Note that I usually don't leave my GPS on all the time unless I'm wanting to create a track log). I always carry spare batteries and map & compass "just in case", but not once have I needed them. I typically only use them for route finding, seeing the "big picture", and identifying landmarks.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 29, 2017 7:37 pm 
I lost my GPS once. After that my navigation skills improved dramatically. Actually prefer to navigate with map and compass now. Always nice to have a GPS as a backup but if I'm bringing a luxury item prefer a pillow.