Forum Index > Gear Talk > GPS/Navigation
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ejain

ejain
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 2:28 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
I have had no problems since I started the routine of downloading the tiles at home with wifi. Downloading via 4G or less is indeed slow.
What maps do you download (USFS, Gaia Topo)? Is your device Android or iOS?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 3:49 pm 
Map and compass, 100% here.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
runup

runup
PostThu Jul 13, 2017 11:23 pm 
Long ago and far away, in sometimes featureless terrain or low visibility situations where determining location accurately could be critical, I would have given nearly anything to have a present day hand-held GPSr. I carry map and compass, but ever since it became readily available, my go-to navigation option has been GPSr.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 1:54 pm 
Map + GPS. I carry a compass, but don't need to use it that often. But I can't imagine relying on just that tiny GPS screen for my "map"; I want the big picture. And the GPS shows me where I am on my map.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 5:36 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Anyone use Gaia on an android phone? I have seen a sudden rash of negative reviews for it on the android platform. Looking for a replacement for my garmin map app, which have become a major battery drain in the latest editions.
Try it on iOS, it sucked when I tried it on Android. It works great for me on iOS though. I think they develop first for iOS then do Android when they have extra time.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 5:38 pm 
Also, here are some tips on using Gaia: https://thingstolucat.com/ddtp-navigation-with-gaia-gps/

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 8:24 pm 
I have it on Android, worked great at first then started crashing all the time, spent many hours with service. Then tried Backcountry Navigator which also crashed spent more time with their service. Turned out it was an incompatible android update for my particular build that caused problems. Loaded a newer update that cured problems. Moral, when in the field do not allow any updates if it works.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 3:59 am 
Quote:
when in the field do not allow any updates if it works.
Good point! I also used backcountry navigator for a bit until i got what sounds like a similar update issue. Finding a good GPS android app is turning into quite the endeavour. Garmins earthmate would be great if they fixed the power drain thing...

the1mitch

the1mitch
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 8:37 am 
Another piece to add to the pile of helpers would be carrying screen shots from google earth on your phone. I was above Stehekin on snow and those aerial photos were a warm hug that backed up my dead reckoning. Yes I had GPS too and an altimeter around my neck. I admit to being very prideful of my navigation luck. (Notice the word substitution of luck for skills.) A game I play with rookies is "how far are we to camp?" AKA "where the &*%#$ are we right now". No electronics allowed. It's fun to watch and listen to the different approaches people take. Participants vote with pebbles on a paper map and Dr GPS gets to be the judge.

illegitimi non carborundum!
dla

dla
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 10:06 am 
A tip from experience - make sure you test a navigation app offline. It sucks to discover what doesnt work when you're on the trail.

SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 2:29 pm 
Garmin 60 CSx here, used recording track logs on every hike for the past 9 years. I bring 1 pair of AA batteries per planned day. It allows fine-grained navigation in poor visibility that is simply impossible with map/compass. Having tracks always saved has been helpful on some out-and-back and lollipop shaped hikes. Although I know what I would do in the absence of GPS, having it certainly reduces the wasted time/mileage/effort.