Forum Index > Trail Talk > NF Sauk
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Frango

Frango
PostTue May 23, 2017 7:14 am 
Any word on possible repair/slide removal etc on NF 49?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pschutt

pschutt
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 6:46 pm 
Just returned from N Fork Sauk trail to White Pass. The "slide" area where FS 49 is closed, is passable by most vehicles. Backhoe operator up the road was filling potholes and telling people to turn around, but several parties made the trip over the June 24 weekend. With the USFS being broke, no telling if the damaged road will be fixed. Trail is fine, a few new large blowdowns to Makinaw Shelter, then clear to White Pass. Solid snow at the PCT junction and beyond.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 7:30 pm 
Just a caution, I read that they are ticketing people who drive beyond the closure.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 8:47 am 
Per the USFS website, the repairs will be done by mid-July. If they catch you beyond the closure you will be fined. This was problem on the Green Mtn road to Meadow Mtn last year, and the USFS had to spend time and scarce budget money installing a bigger and greater closure.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 9:20 am 
I walked over the washout yesterday. I would not recommend driving over it, even aside from the fact that it's illegal (although I saw one pickup truck coming the other way). The right half of the road is slumped by a couple feet and who knows how stable it is. Kim, that's great news about the mid-July fix. Considering that area (as always) for a Labor Day Weekend trip. Now what about the NF Skykomish Road?? Either the washout in the Troublesome / San Juan direction OR the Blanca Lake / West Cady direction? You seem to be hanging out at the Skykomish ranger station a lot these days, so maybe you know?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 9:35 am 
Foist wrote:
Now what about the NF Skykomish Road?? Either the washout in the Troublesome / San Juan direction OR the Blanca Lake / West Cady direction? You seem to be hanging out at the Skykomish ranger station a lot these days, so maybe you know?
NF Skykomish is funded under the Fed's Emergency Relief for Federally Owned Roads program (damage due to a flood of a nature that qualifies it for ERFO funds) and they're going to repair it for a 2018 opening. Funny you should ask that. I had forgotten about the ERFO funding and was reminded about it and the timeline just last week.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 9:38 am 
Does that go for all 3 washouts? The original original one on the paved part is still a few years out, right?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 9:56 am 
The final repair on the Index Galena road is almost done. The campgrounds should be open later this summer (don’t quote me on that though; I didn’t take notes on that conversation, but I do know repair is in its final stages)

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 10:04 am 
So now you're talking about the older washout on the paved part, right?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 10:14 am 
Yes sir, the paved road from the town of Index to the campgrounds. up.gif

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 am 
Wow, awesome. Well mostly awesome, I am a little afraid the shorter drive might it tougher to find a spot there Friday evening...