Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bacon-Blum Traverse questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 1:02 pm 
Choosing not to reline a route is driven by more noble motivations. When you label people ignorant it just makes it sound elitist.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 1:06 pm 
Tom wrote:
When you label people ignorant it just makes it sound elitist.
FTR, I used the term in response to cartman's post about "the ignorant," so maybe you should direct your admonition towards him. Here is the original:
cartman wrote:
However, the ignorant also are ignorant of the skills needed to reach many of those high alpine "sensitive" areas.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 1:54 pm 
Steve, it wasn't directed at you per se. Just that when those terms are used I don't believe it accurately paints the motivation which I believe is much more noble. I'm happy for anyone that wants to visit this area if they have the requisite skills and put in the effort to research. As Tom S said it's not particularly difficult to figure out. Hopefully those that go will respect the area during their visit and allow others the opportunity to experience it in similar character that they did. In that regard, I believe it warrants some level of discretion and I certainly would not red line a route. I don't believe the OP was necessarily asking for that level of detail. Most of the ensuing discussion seems to be in response to someone else who indicated plans to go and didn't believe discretion was warranted, but was open to feedback.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 3:33 pm 
About Bacon, Hagen and Blum traverse. This might be news to the younger folks, but this has been a well known traverse for decades among off-trail aficionados. Keep in mind the number of such aficionados has grown along with the general population, while the amount of land has stayed the same. Decreased, in fact, if you think in terms of accessibility (i.e., road washouts not repaired). Perhaps "unaware" is a less inflammatory adjective than "ignorant".

iron

iron
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 4:00 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
This might be news to the younger folks, but this has been a well known traverse for decades among off-trail aficionados
word of mouth and 15-minute maps is a bit different than internet with 7.5 min maps and gps, right?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 5:28 pm 
Haven't the 7.5 minute USGS topos been around for some time? There are quite a few ways to do this Traverse even starting and finishing from the same trailheads. If I were ever to do it again I would change things up a bit. It's a great place to explore and not necessarily a right or wrong way to do it.

iron

iron
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 8:08 pm 
sure: https://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/125history.html but, i know the guys that were pioneering these routes had very crude maps, if any at all. i guess my point was to state that it's not fair to claim that things have been around forever and there's no problem yet, so why bother to worry about it now.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 9:10 pm 
I don't disagree. In any case, happy help via PM if the OP isn't sure if something goes.

iron

iron
PostThu Jun 08, 2017 4:29 pm 
case in point from a recent trip on this site (n. cascades):
Quote:
This is a trip that I didn’t do much route research as I easily downloaded a GPS track from peakbagger.com so figured there’s not much point in studying the details.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 3:15 pm 
Question about possible walking "return route" to vehicle at Anderson/Watson TH (using the trail on the south shore of Baker Lake) if you were doing Bacon-Blum, or Bacon-Hagan - exiting north to the Baker River - and if you didn't have 2 vehicles or a shuttle ride. I'm looking at the map and it shows a forest road 012 running north from the 1107 road that leads to the Anderson/Watson TH. North end of 012 appears to get to within 1.2 miles (and 2,000' vertical) of the Baker Lake south shore trail - two minor drainages west of Silver Creek. Anyone ever eyeball that slope? Or end of forest road 012?

Off trail rambler
Bright River
goslowgofar

Bright River
goslowgofar
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 3:34 pm 
talked to a local guy and he said that the Andersen Road was washed out at Welker Creek. I was trying to pin the guy down to get more information , but he was really sketchy and his sense of what or where he was actually talking about questionable. but I know that that road up to Andersen butte and Watson Lakes has washed out before. I would check with the FS station in Sedro Woolley, ALTHOUGH I HAVE BEEN MISLED BY THEM BEFORE. Basically they do not check the roads, or it does not get to the information desk, They need someone to report to the information people , that there is a problem.

..-and rest thee by many brooks and hearthsides without misgiving. Rise free from care before the dawn and seek adventures. Let the noon find thee by other lakes, and the night overtake thee everywhere at home. HDT
mike

mike
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 4:05 pm 
Eric Hansen wrote:
I'm looking at the map and it shows a forest road 012 running north from the 1107 road that leads to the Anderson/Watson TH. North end of 012 appears to get to within 1.2 miles (and 2,000' vertical)...
Looks like steep brushy 2nd growth. And more like 2500'+ Maybe you could park at the EB TH and hitch up to AW TH?

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 9:45 pm 
Bright River, Mike, thanks I'm looking at the map again and remembering the Baker Lake Resort. Might be possible to park at the EB TH, get a shuttle from the Resort, they are certainly right there, nearby.

Off trail rambler
Porkrind
Porkrind

Porkrind
Porkrind
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 7:10 am 
Wow, it looks like I stirred things up here, didn't mean to, my bad. I was just looking for some routes in the park to consider. BTW, we've decided against trying that route for various reasons, and, I promise to never post any trip reports about such areas.

We can't always control what happens, But you can how you respond to it.
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 9:15 am 
When the Mountaineers first started publishing descriptions of routes, some folks were angry about encouraging more folks in the backcountry. When Fred Beckey published climbing guides, some folks felt that he was making it too easy. When the 100 Hikes books came out, some folks felt that the places described in the books would be ruined. Now there are websites and descriptions of trips to just about anywhere. Some of the Mountaineer routes are forgotten. Even a few in the 100 Hikes books have gone away. Meanwhile, if I hoist a multi-day backpack and head out anywhere other than the Crest trail, after I am more than a day's hike from the nearest trailhead, I rarely see anyone. And when I do I am happy to discuss the shared experience with fellow backpackers. I'm with Gimpilator. The more routes that are known, the more spread out folks will be. The iron-y: I am planning a mult-day backpack off trail. I would not be going had I not gotten a key piece of information from this website...from iron. hockeygrin.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir