Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jul 06, 2017 1:25 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
The more routes that are known, the more spread out folks will be.
I think this is right. Much social media, particularly what I see on the FB WH&C group, has a tendency toward what I'd call "concentrating the impacts" on a relatively few trophy-photo areas. So I've been wondering how groups like that and sites like this could help support everyone including the newbies and those ready to spread out beyond the highway type trails, while having more of a "dispersing" impact rather than "concentrating." IMO Big Steve is on the right track with avoiding posting GPS tracks for routes like the one that's the subject of this thread. Route descriptions that have the concision of the Beckey guides seem more appropriate. I still don't have my answer to my own question but I think what BS suggests is part of the answer...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostThu Jul 06, 2017 4:31 pm 
My two cents: There will always be only a small fraction--a very very very small fraction--of hikers who are willing to do the hard work required to hike an off trail route in the North Cascades. Not only do you have to be good at map reading and route finding, but you also have to be in excellent physical shape and have the endurance to do so. It's the effort involved and the resulting very small percentage of folks who have the desire to put out that kind of effort that will keep these places relatively wild. Fortunately we have a lot of rugged country in the North Cascades--country too rough, too wild, and too steep--and without maintained trails. Many of these places will continue to see only a few parties a year due to their ruggedness and the amount of effort involved to hike thru them. But, the Enchantments you say! Yes, the Enchantments have been discovered and were soon overrun. However, they're a different animal because there are trails into them! And once they were discovered and overrun, the land management agencies stepped in and instituted a permit system. (Ditto for other areas that have been discovered and subsequently overrun, the High Sierra for example.) The elephant in the room is population growth. As long as we as a species keep pumping out babies we can expect to see more degradation of the few wild places we have left. But nobody wants to talk about that, so instead we'll hem and haw over whether to keep our trip reports "secret". Sorry folks, too late for that! As Tom S pointed out, the info is already out there for someone willing to research it. So those who want to put the genie back into the bottle: too late, too late!! But in lieu of zero--or negative--population growth the land management agencies will (hopefully!) monitor human traffic in an particular area, and if the human impact exceeds a certain threshold, they should implement a permit system. I for one hope that we continue to see more and more people fall in love with our mountains and other wild places, both those places that are easily accessed by trail and also those places that are reached only by off-trail travel and are very difficult to get to. Large numbers of people having experienced our wild places is the best way we can ensure that these places will continue to be preserved and remain undeveloped.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
iron

iron
PostThu Jul 06, 2017 4:45 pm 
problem is there are trails into many of the remote, hard, rugged areas too. boot path, but good enough. it's a slow march of de-wildernizing. just look at all the bulger peaks. practically an established route for all of them. some of them were yet to be climbed 40 years ago.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostThu Jul 06, 2017 5:09 pm 
iron wrote:
problem is there are trails into many of the remote, hard, rugged areas too. boot path, but good enough. it's a slow march of de-wildernizing. just look at all the bulger peaks. practically an established route for all of them. some of them were yet to be climbed 40 years ago.
yes, but the reason for that is that more people are into hiking and climbing than there were 40 years ago. that's partly due to population growth of the Puget Sound area and Washington State. There's also more information about these areas that's now--due to the internet--easily accessible. That information cannot be disappeared. It's out there whether we like it or not. The world has changed whether we like it or not. I don't think there's anything any of us can do to roll it back to where it was 40 years ago. Zero population growth may help eventually (or negative growth), but that's way out there time wise, decades at least, and maybe longer because no one is even talking about it as a solution to any of the problems we're facing as a species. I'll repeat what I said earlier: The best thing we can do to ensure that we retain what little wilderness we have left is to have a large enough group of people who appreciate it for its own sake. And that means sharing it. Introducing new people to it. It's the opposite of keeping it secret.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Jul 06, 2017 6:14 pm 
The Big One is overdue. When it does occur, that will help with everything from crowded trails to protecting sensitive areas. Or maybe the final bacterial mutations rendering all existing antibiotics useless will happen first.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 06, 2017 10:38 pm 
Quote:
I'll repeat what I said earlier: The best thing we can do to ensure that we retain what little wilderness we have left is to have a large enough group of people who appreciate it for its own sake. And that means sharing it. Introducing new people to it. It's the opposite of keeping it secret.
There are plenty of places for one to gain an appreciation for wilderness. Unless you believe an area is at risk for loss of designation or access I don't think the argument to destroy a sensitive area with increased visitation to save it holds any water.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 07, 2017 2:21 am 
The most beautiful areas of wilderness IMO are high alpine areas with stupendous views. They are unlikely to be saved by more visitors this is because most have little marketable timber or minerals. Access is difficult in most cases. Enchantments are an exception but in my view they are a rather ordinary lake basin if they were in the Sierra or Winds. Granite has few miners unless in a contact zone and the spindly larches are not about to lift a loggers skirt. The Spring Manning era of raising awareness has largely passed, I am content to only tell friends of my alpine endeavors, not the world.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jul 07, 2017 6:05 am 
pimaCanyon wrote:
There's also more information about these areas that's now--due to the internet--easily accessible. That information cannot be disappeared. It's out there whether we like it or not.
Indeed. This hardly, however, argues for putting out GPS tracks for places like this one in relatively prominent trip reports or in public replies to queries. Please note that Steve shared a link to a trip report above in the thread but will not share such tracks, which would most assuredly increase the chances of seeing new boot paths appear, versus letting folks work out the micro details themselves.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostFri Jul 07, 2017 7:15 am 
Tom wrote:
There are plenty of places for one to gain an appreciation for wilderness. Unless you believe an area is at risk for loss of designation or access I don't think the argument to destroy a sensitive area with increased visitation to save it holds any water.
Who said anything about "destroying a sensitive area with increased visitation"? I am against destroying any wilderness, sensitive or not, whether from mining, timber harvest, condo development, OR overuse. When an alpine area starts seeing too many human visitors, land management agencies have to step in and limit the number of visitors and especially limit the number of people camping in an area. Prior to the establishment of the North Cascade National Park in 1968, the Cascade Pass/Sahale Arm area had become trampled nearly to death from overnight campers. Once the National Park was created, the Park service banned camping in the area, and the meadows have recovered. Slowly. It took a while, but they did recover. A better solution would have been to have banned camping there before the damage was done. To me, the whole "keep it secret" argument doesn't hold any water. "I've been there and it's incredibly beautiful, it was a life changing experience for me. But keep everyone else out because I might want to go back some day." I can understand that sentiment because part of the reason that traveling thru those areas was so incredibly beautiful and even life changing was because you didn't see another human the entire time you were out there, not even any evidence of another human having been there. But it's just not possible to keep everyone else out with today's ease of information access. And that attitude smacks of elitism. I'm sure there were people back in the 1960's who wanted to keep the Enchantments secret, or at least not publish any information about them. Ditto for other places in the Alpine Lakes, along the Wonderland Trail, in the North Cascades. I can understand their desire to keep these areas as they were at that time--no more visitors than they're already seeing. But the way to do that in my opinion is either reduce the population of the area where most of the hikers are coming from (which is impossible to do in America), OR keep other hikers from finding out about the place (and that's also impossible to do in America or anywhere else in today's world). Sure, keeping information about an area private and only among friends will slow down the increase in the number of visitors to an area. But the information will get out there sooner or later. We can't stop that, especially today. So, in a way, the whole argument is moot at this point. Whether we keep information about an area to ourselves and not share it with anyone, or whether we put it all out there, it doesn't matter. The info is already available. These formerly pristine areas that had nary a boot built path now are sprouting trails. The Ptarmigan for example. But that is primarily due to the population explosion that Washington State has undergone in the last few decades. And if the Ptarmigan gets to the point where it actually has an overuse problem, the Forest Service would need to implement a permit system. (I would hate to see what the Puget Sound Area looks like if/when the Ptarmigan develops an overuse problem. I don't think I'd want to live there... :-(

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostFri Jul 07, 2017 7:24 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
The most beautiful areas of wilderness IMO are high alpine areas with stupendous views. They are unlikely to be saved by more visitors this is because most have little marketable timber or minerals.
Actually, one such area was saved by more visitors, or at least by more people being made aware of the situation. You ever heard of the ski area that was planned for Mt Daniel?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jul 07, 2017 8:23 am 
Doppelganger wrote:
You guys forget how you got started?
I remember with clarity. There were no GPS breadcrumbs nor redline maps available, so I did my research, got out my paper USGS 7.5' maps, figured out what might go and we went for it. Sometimes the terrain forced us to turn back.
pimaCanyon wrote:
To me, the whole "keep it secret" argument doesn't hold any water.
To me the whole "keep it secret argument" is a straw man argument. Who is talking about keeping the Bacon-Hagan-Blum-Berdeen area a secret? Answer: Nobody. The issue is publishing GPS breadcrumbs and/or redline maps.
pimaCanyon wrote:
You ever heard of the ski area that was planned for Mt Daniel?
No. Tell us more. When was that? (The Alpine Lakes WA was established in 1976.) What was the planned road access? Was there a plan to build a $25,000,000 road and plow 25 miles of road all winter? Sounds like a whacky pipe dream.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostFri Jul 07, 2017 8:41 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
pimaCanyon wrote:
You ever heard of the ski area that was planned for Mt Daniel?
No. Tell us more. When was that? (The Alpine Lakes WA was established in 1976.) What was the planned road access? Was there a plan to build a $25,000,000 road and plow 25 miles of road all winter? Sounds like a whacky pipe dream.
yes, it was proposed prior to the establishment of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, back in the early 1970's. I'll see if I can find details about it and post here if I do.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 07, 2017 8:51 am 
I remember a proposed area on Sandy butte near Winthrop, probably more of a real estate promotion which was killed by economics and lack of interest by corporations. I also remember a threat to begin mining again near LaBohn gap,but that always seemed an attempted greenmail plot. Of course there was the proposed copper mine on miners ridge.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jul 07, 2017 9:18 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I remember a proposed area on Sandy butte near Winthrop
Early Winters ski resort. Would have required 2-3 miles of new road. No wilderness area issues, not even close. 3 different developers tried it. EW resort was a plausible plan, unlike a ski area on Mt. Daniel, which would have required a new road project of enormous proportions, akin to the fleeting plans to put a road over Cascade Pass (which would have been a through route, unlike a dead end road to Daniel). I'm still pondering what road corridor they were planning to use for a Mt. Daniel ski resort, if the planning actually got that far. Sounds to me more of a dream than a plan.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jul 08, 2017 7:20 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
pimaCanyon wrote:
To me, the whole "keep it secret" argument doesn't hold any water.
To me the whole "keep it secret argument" is a straw man argument. Who is talking about keeping the Bacon-Hagan-Blum-Berdeen area a secret? Answer: Nobody. The issue is publishing GPS breadcrumbs and/or redline maps.
Exactly. The "it's all out there already" argument doesn't hold any water, unless for instance you have seen links to red-lined maps or GPS tracks for this route somewhere.