Forum Index > Trail Talk > Northern California Redwoods recommendations?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
doublemom

doublemom
PostFri May 26, 2017 4:35 pm 
I'm heading to Jedediah Smith SP and Redwoods NP areas the second week of June. I have 2 nights reserved in car campgrounds at both of those parks. I'm also planning on trying for a couple of nights backpacking permit anywhere around the area as well (permits there are first come, first served). I'm reading and looking at maps figuring out what I want to see, just wondering if anyone here has any recommendations for day hikes and/or overnight backpack trails in the redwoods area? After reading the book The Wild Trees by Richard Preston, I have to see it for myself smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri May 26, 2017 4:40 pm 
You can do loops of varying lengths in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park that I would highly recommend. You get to visit the wonderful Fern Canyon, wander thru groves of huge trees, and walk along the beach. Not bad for one hike.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostFri May 26, 2017 4:59 pm 
Boy scout tree (~5 mile round trip) and Stout Grove (~1 mile) are must-do's at Jed Smith.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri May 26, 2017 7:10 pm 
I only had a single day there, but it was awesome! Some ideas: Trip report.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 26, 2017 7:30 pm 
Allow yourself enough time to enjoy the drive along Hwy 199 between Grants Pass and Crescent City, one of the most scenic stretches of asphalt in the lower 48 states. It's a twisty windy highway that's a real pain when it's packed full of tourist traffic during the peak season - much more enjoyable after Labor Day. If you can get there before they close, you can get area information at the NFS Ranger Station in Gasquet. (pronounced GAS-key) Jedediah Smith SP is fabulous. There are all kinds of "groves" along the highway where you can pull over and just get out and take a short walk under the canopy. The last time I spoke with someone on the phone, Redwood National Park requires you to go to the Ranger Station down at Orick and get a backcountry permit in person, which requires photo ID and a license plate number. Redwood National Park is about an 8-mile in-and-out trail that skirts along the bench, running parallel to the creek. Overnight camping is allowed only on the gravel bars along the creek. If you spot a site that looks good, grab it fast. Bear canisters (again, last time I spoke with somebody on the phone) were not required, but they tell you to hang your food. The problem is that trying to hang anything down there is really kind of a joke. Get a bear canister. Redwood Creek opens onto the Pacific Ocean at its lower end, runs east-west for less than a mile, then makes a sharp turn and heads south. The heat from inland pulls the cool air in off the coast in the afternoon - same as San Francisco or out in Aberdeen-Hoquiam - so the valley can fill up with fog that may linger all day long the next day. Or it might burn off. Or it might really surprise you and you might wake up in the morning to crystal clear sky. In any event, be prepared for cool, windy afternoons and evenings - the wind in late afternoon can sometimes be relentless. It is exactly 499.0 miles from my driveway to the trailhead at Redwood NP. I've done it in just under 10 hours, but that's pretty stressful. Gasoline in California is more than it is in Oregon. Last time I was down there, the "Tea Garden" Chinese restaurant in Crescent City was simply dreadful. Looks like I've got two trip reports posted here for Redwood. Also looks like I need to get back down there. Trip report Sept. 2006 Trip report Sept. 2006

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
doublemom

doublemom
PostFri May 26, 2017 7:52 pm 
Thanks everyone! Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for smile.gif We're going to drive to Grants Pass the day before, detour to Oregon Caves early the next morning, then on go Jed Smith from there. I've read up on backpacking at Redwood Creek and that looks great. I'm aware of the permit system, and we own bear canisters. I've seen the Mariposa Sequoia grove at Yosemite and it's incredible, now it's time to add the tallest trees in the world to my list smile.gif Thanks again for the wonderful ideas, can't wait!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 26, 2017 8:36 pm 
^ No idea why they made the change on the backcountry permits. It will require you to drive all the way down to Orick and then double back to go up to the trailhead at Redwood NP. Used to be you just filled out the permit there at the trailhead - way mo' betta when you're arriving at 5:00 am. Should have also mentioned: In spite of the primitive setting and the gigantic trees, Redwood NP is not quiet all the time. Take a look at a map and find "Bald Hill Road", which runs up along the ridge to the east of Redwood Creek. That road is heavily trafficked by logging trucks and Harley-Davidsons at times, which can get a bit annoying. That is not the case up at Jedediah Smith SP once you get about 50 feet off the highway. Can't recall exactly where it was, other than a ways south of Redwood NP - there was a fabulous beach my buddy and I went to down there. Also can't recall if it was the lady at Gasquet or somebody at the Orick RS who told me there are several trails that lead down to the beach off the highway, some of which offer overnight camping opportunities. They're between Crescent City and Redwood NP, as I recall.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri May 26, 2017 8:56 pm 
A couple of the cafes right in downtown Grants Pass seemed decent. The quality bar on Crescent City seems set pretty low.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
KevinDo

KevinDo
PostFri May 26, 2017 10:59 pm 
Last time I was there I really enjoyed doing the redwood creek overnight trail. The redwoods along the later half of the tree and at the grove at the end were spectacular !

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon May 29, 2017 6:40 pm 
Some reading that can be done and the author is a local. Great pictures, some taken from up in the trees. The author is a well respected tree climber, arborist and photographer. Baranek Books

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue May 30, 2017 8:14 am 
Quote:
Boy scout tree (~5 mile round trip)
That is an awesome hike. Highly recommended.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue May 30, 2017 6:43 pm 
Another vote for the Boy Scout Trail and the Stout Grove (by far the best in the area, imo). Also the first mile or so of the Damnation Creek Trail in Del Norte Redwoods State Park is also quite good. Redwoodhikes.com is a great resource you might want to dig into. I would also suggest driving 45 minutes north to Samuel Boardman State Park in Oregon - some of the most spectacularly rugged coastline in the northwest can be found there. The trails are a bit difficult to spot, but if you poke around you should find something. Natural Bridge wayside in particular is awesome.

whitebark

whitebark
PostTue May 30, 2017 7:27 pm 
Yes, the 8 mile round trip hike from Prairie Creek Redwoods to Fern Canyon is wonderful.