Forum Index > Trip Reports > Grassy Point El. 6600 ft via Suiattle River Trail (5/20-21/2017)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
geyer

geyer
PostMon May 29, 2017 10:33 pm 
Hey everyone! This is my first NWHikers TR. I thought it would be a good idea to switch over as I explore more into the lesser known trails and bushwhacks of our scenic region. Anyway, here goes nothing: I arrived at the Suiattle River trailhead about 8:30am after a not-so-bright-and-early start to what promised to be a 20+ mile, 6500+ elevation overnighter to Grassy Point in the Glacier Peak Wilderness. I chose this point because my wandering eye kept scrolling through Caltopo maps around Glacier Peak and saw a ridge that had a route with a lot of green gradient leading up to it (green = low angle). It wasn't too far of a trip for a weekend and promised to have endless views of several Bulger list peaks. After strapping my 50 lb pack on, which seemed to contain everything but the kitchen sink, I began the 7.75 mile approach before the serious climbing began. There were at least 3 points where the trail was completely overrun by spring waterfalls over 20 feet wide
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
After passing the PCT connection, I crossed the Suiattle River and almost immediately began the climb. At about 3800ft, snow started to show itselft and at 4100ft, it was non-stop snow. With the steepest part of the climb already behind me, I put snowshoes on and hoped for the best with the wet melting snow. Around 5100ft I got my first glimpse of Glacier Peak, and boy is she a beaut!
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
A little while later, the summit came into view, and it was not looking good. There were slides all along the summit ridge and I was beginning to think I might need to camp at 5400ft. But I followed my planned route which took me to more of the "green gradient" and left me just ~300ft shy of the true summit, which is where I camped for the night due to large slides. I didn't mind, because the views were INSANE!!!
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Grassy Point
Route
Route
(sorry for the captions -- i didn't really have time to change them all, but I might get around to it later) Edit: It's only been a week and silly old me already forgot the gaudy details (type 2, am I right?). On the way up, my "waterproof boots" became waterlogged in the snow. This was annoying because it made my feet cold once I set up camp, but it really became a problem on the descent. Every step amplified the friction and I had to take my pack off for a break probably every .75 miles. Good thing I had trekking poles because I was putting a ton of my body weight on them. Once I got back to the car, I found out I had 10 blisters -- one between each toe on my right foot, including my pinky toe which was basically just one big blister. All these signs indicated that it was time for a change in the footing department.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostMon May 29, 2017 10:43 pm 
Drool

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon May 29, 2017 10:57 pm 
Drool+1. Thank you and welcome to NWHikers!

Distel32

Distel32
PostTue May 30, 2017 6:19 am 
up.gif

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostTue May 30, 2017 8:27 am 
Looks amazing!

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue May 30, 2017 8:42 am 
now this is a rare point to be visiting. good on you.

Art is an adventure.
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue May 30, 2017 8:43 am 
Beautiful images up.gif Thanks for sharing wink.gif

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue May 30, 2017 9:51 am 
Excellent! That's definitely a great start of your reports here! I've been looking at Grassy Point winter/spring trips now and then, but what always concerned about the avy risk on the ascent to Vista Ridge to do early in spring. This looks like a good time! Edit: Didn't see your footwear question before, but iron's comment pointed it out to me. Indeed, pretty much the same experience here as iron. I've never seen/had boots that keep your feet dry in spring snow conditions. Bringing dry socks is basically it. If it is not too warm, I now and then use insulated mountaineering boots, but those are very annoying for non-snow trail sections. You hinted at it yourself already, but you should probably also look at the weight of your pack. I'm not at all a light traveler myself, but 50lbs would for me be a lot for an overnight, even for winter/spring.

iron

iron
PostTue May 30, 2017 10:08 am 
good stuff. can't beat that spot. for your boots: did you have gaiters on? i assume so. even still, almost all boots will let in snow/water eventually, especially in spring mush. bring a few pair of socks to change into dry ones and wring out the others to dry on your pack. oh, and plastic bags (or extra footwear) for camp.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue May 30, 2017 2:29 pm 
Well now that's not too shabby of a first TR cool.gif Good stuff, thanks for sharing, and welcome!

reststep

reststep
PostTue May 30, 2017 3:28 pm 
Great report and pictures. Looking forward to more.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
geyer

geyer
PostTue May 30, 2017 7:13 pm 
Quote:
for your boots: did you have gaiters on? i assume so. even still, almost all boots will let in snow/water eventually, especially in spring mush. bring a few pair of socks to change into dry ones and wring out the others to dry on your pack. oh, and plastic bags (or extra footwear) for camp.
I did have gaiters on. And I always pack extra socks. These boots were just faulty from the get-go. I could step in a puddle with them and my socks would be soaked to the skin. Returned them and got the Asolo Fugitive GTX. I was basically just walking through creeks with no repercussions this weekend. Gore-tex = amazing

geyer

geyer
PostTue May 30, 2017 7:15 pm 
Quote:
Did the Milk Creek-Suaittle River loop long ago and almost did Grassy Point, but ended up doing Miners Ridge and Image Lake as a side trip instead.
Is it true that there's an actual trail up the ridge off the PCT? I did not want to go all the way around the ridge to find out, so I blazed my own. Plus, that part of the PCT would've been covered in snow.

geyer

geyer
PostTue May 30, 2017 7:19 pm 
Quote:
you should probably also look at the weight of your pack. I'm not at all a light traveler myself, but 50lbs would for me be a lot for an overnight, even for winter/spring.
I go solo a lot and like to pack for every possible scenario. Besides, I did in fact use everything in my bag that I brought (my tent is quite heavy, but has stood up to 70 mph gusts on Mt. Adams -- somehow it's still only a 3-season though). Would I like a lighter pack? Definitely, but I'd rather be prepared for anything. I can shave those lbs in the summer.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue May 30, 2017 8:36 pm 
Nice! And welcome to NWH!

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.