Forum Index > Trip Reports > WA Pass Rambling, May 26/27,
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kenji

Kenji
PostTue May 30, 2017 11:54 pm 
Paul and I left Seattle Thu pm to avoid the Mem weekend crowd, camped at the overlook turn off for two nights. I spent the first night on the overlook for gazing stars most of the night.
and stars:
View from my tent
View from my tent
We did an easy tour up the valley up and over the Kangaroo pass, checked around the east side. It was tempting to ski down a east slope but the large cornices made us decide to just enjoy the scenery.
Pretty good skiing back to our camp in the meadow:
Saturday morning was pretty busy at the Blue Lake TH when we drove by. There must be over 3 dozen cars parked along the road, partially because the main lot was not yet open. We parked at the Rainy Pass TH with only a half dozen cars. The lot here was not plowed either, just a wide shoulder so far. I had been interested in doing "Black Loop" ever since some friends did this tour maaaaaany years ago. Since it is long and committing, we weren't decided as we touring toward Black Peak. We first skied over Lake Ann and up over Heather Pass.
After finishing the messy traverse down to Lewis Lake then up to Wing Lake, we didn't feel like going back late afternoon under those big cornices hanging over the ridge top.
There was a couple w/ a dog ahead of us. We found out they were doing the loop, and pretty confident about the way up to Last Chance Pass. So we decided to continue the loop. Skiing off the south slope off Black was nice. We then followed their track steeply up the next ridge.
Skiing up to the low point on the ridge across
Skiing up to the low point on the ridge across
From the saddle:
Looking back Black Peak
Looking back Black Peak
Goode looming behind
Goode looming behind
Once over the Last Chance Pass, it was a long way down over avy debris to the valley bottom. The snow was a bit rough but soft enough for enjoyable skiing. We still had a long uphill form 4900' to the Maple Pass at 6600'.
Back to Maple Pass, the rest was all downhill to our car!
It's a long tour, ~16miles/~6500', through beautiful alpine terrain. More pics here.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 31, 2017 5:43 am 
More really great pictures and great trips. I dont get it, I didnt think Hwy 20 was open yet, but it looks like it is. doh.gif Ok, I guess it opened May 16th. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Distel32

Distel32
PostWed May 31, 2017 6:28 am 
up.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed May 31, 2017 8:19 am 
What a great trip, Kenji, it's nice that the loop worked out for you. Thanks for the beautiful photos!

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed May 31, 2017 10:45 pm 
Wow! Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
ShailCaesar!

ShailCaesar!
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 2:16 pm 
Wow, thanks, awesome! Was thinking about going there on June 4. Any idea if Lake Ann would still be crossable? Otherwise I'll be forced to join the masses on the Birthday Tour *shudder

Be The Rain
Kenji

Kenji
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 3:04 pm 
ShailCaesar! wrote:
Was thinking about going there on June 4. Any idea if Lake Ann would still be crossable?
I'd think it'll still be passable, you may have to look around for a path getting on the main snow, not "blueish" one. The other shore has more snow piled up by avy slopes above. A friend of mine may be doing the loop tour up there too this weekend. Say hi if you see a group of overnight skiers.

ShailCaesar!

ShailCaesar!
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 3:45 pm 
Thanks for the info. Hope it's not a gong show up there...

Be The Rain