Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hanging sit pad
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
toms_strat

toms_strat
PostWed May 31, 2017 9:08 am 
Last year on section J of the PCT i met a guy who had a "flap' or such hanging off his backpack so when he sat it automatically was a dry seat. Hope i explained that right? After many wet trips last year I went to see if i could find one and am now assuming he made it. Anyone use something similar?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 31, 2017 10:38 am 
I'll bet he was a ski instructor or ski patroller. They have such things attached to a belt or fanny pack to keep their butt dry on cold/wet ski lift chairs. A bit of foam covered with pack cloth , if you are handy with a sewing machine. Or check with the National Ski Patrol website.

toms_strat

toms_strat
PostWed May 31, 2017 11:06 am 
Thanks! I'll check it out. Was one wet year and I love the idea

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed May 31, 2017 11:12 am 
toms_strat wrote:
Last year on section J of the PCT i met a guy who had a "flap' or such hanging off his backpack so when he sat it automatically was a dry seat. Hope i explained that right? After many wet trips last year I went to see if i could find one and am now assuming he made it. Anyone use something similar?
Can't help you. The last thing I want is something dangling, flapping, bouncing, bobbing, or jiggling on my pack. The second to last thing I want is to wear my pack when I sit down. smile.gif

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed May 31, 2017 12:20 pm 
ThermaRest Z Seat under $15 and two ounces. I just stuff it between my pack-frame and the pack folded in half (Osprey Exos 48). It's immediately available whenever I want it; and completely out of the way otherwise. It's plenty comfortable enough, and just the right size to sit on with with no extra coverage. It could be used to supplement a ground pad if your not using an air mattress.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jun 01, 2017 5:48 am 
I have carried a hacked off part of one of those cheap blue foam pads that are in the evil Walmarche stores. I find those pads to be kind of like duck tape, I use bits and pieces for all sorts of things--the main one being a kneeling pad for gardening. Cheap and easy to cut with scissors.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Canon Shooter

Canon Shooter
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 9:27 pm 
I spent most of yesterday in the snow. My sit pad at lunch was a small piece of foil covered bubble wrap that I use for my windows at home. It was scrap anyways so my cost was zero and it kept me dry and warm as I sat on the snow for nearly an hour.